News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Some new renderings I haven't seen....really digging the new "arched" concept over the Henday.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

They already plan on having "dead miniature pine trees" planted by the Ravine....realistic planning...lol

Last edited:
Some new renderings I haven't seen....really digging the new "arched" concept over the Henday.View attachment 502644View attachment 502645

They already plan on having "dead miniature pine trees" planted by the Ravine....realistic planning...lol
I think the white arch motif (inspired by the Walterdale) should be used on more of bridges in our city. Already, the pedestrian bridges at WEM and Whitemud Creek use it and so will this bridge. It would be a cool quirk about the city.

I think the white arch motif (inspired by the Walterdale) should be used on more of bridges in our city. Already, the pedestrian bridges at WEM and Whitemud Creek use it and so will this bridge. It would be a cool quirk about the city.
Or we could emulate Tbilisi and go with the Always Ultra theme ("it has wings!") for our bridges.

1693175185784.jpeg

I've actually crossed this bridge, very lovely setting in an attractive city. But an unfortunate nickname.

which bridge across Whitemud Creek?

Not to be a downer, but arch bridges are not unique to Edmonton, they are popular around the world as they are the best option for lots of projects. In fact, there are bridges with a nearly identical design to the Walterdale Bridge in Serbia, Hungary, and Japan (and probably other places too). Edmonton is not unique in that way.

Last edited:
Not to be a downer, but arch bridges are not unique to Edmonton, they are popular around the world as they are the best option for lots of projects. In fact, there are bridges with a nearly identical design to the Walterdale Bridge in Serbia, Hungary, and Japan (and probably other places too). Edmonton is not unique in that way.

There's even a mini clone of the Walterdale 300KM south by St Patrick's Island in the East Village

With all the talk of the southwest expansion to Ellerslie, I can't help but wonder what's going on with the northeast expansion to Gorman.

I know it's been planned preliminarily for 15+ years - but are there any timelines for it?
https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/north-lrt-study
It just strikes me as odd because of all the low cost stations to add, this would be it. The ROW is ready and it's all ground level.

I'm guessing because the area directly around where the station would be isn't developing yet, the city hasn't seen it as a priority? But

Though to add to that thought, the route and location they have for Gorman diverges to the east off the existing railway corridor, clearly to service a theoretical new neighbourhood.
Is that routing locked in at this stage? Because when they chose the route, the Manning Town centre wasn't even developed yet. It's been like 15 years since.
I can't help but feel like it's a shame that it doesn't diverge to the west instead, to better service Manning Centre. There's a lack of easily accessible big box shopping retailers near the LRT, and being able to get to Lowe's and Canadian Tire right next to an LRT station - even if it's the last stop on the line - would be a huge boon to a lot of people. If they could even just get the station around the corner of 153 Ave and 34 St before continuing east I think that'd be fine.

Thoughts?

The Gorman and whatever we want to call the stop/Park and Ride makes alot of sense to get out of the way IF the parking lots around Clairview are converted to housing as planned. Clairview is quite the lackluster TOD compared to Stadium, or even Century Park at this point.

Still, I'd prefer these funds to go to a Valley West leg up 124th St instead. Preferably along the old rail ROW.

To me, the Capital Line extension to Gorman is a much lower priority than the Valley Line to WEM and the Metro Line to St. Albert. Use those funds to build the Metro Line bridge over the Yellowhead.
Surely the biggest priority after the Castle Downs extension is complete should be the airport connection. St. Albert would be nice, but I have a feeling it's going to just end with an oversized Park and Ride at Nakî Transit Centre.

The Gorman and whatever we want to call the stop/Park and Ride makes alot of sense to get out of the way IF the parking lots around Clairview are converted to housing as planned. Clairview is quite the lackluster TOD compared to Stadium, or even Century Park at this point.

Still, I'd prefer these funds to go to a Valley West leg up 124th St instead. Preferably along the old rail ROW.
Makes no sense to branch off at 124 street. They are going to need all the capacity they can get to WEM and the west end in general

Back