News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Was also curious. Used this website: https://censusmapper.ca/maps/new#11/53.5462/-113.4912 to add up the census tract populations for all those south of the Henday and got approx. 130,000 which is from the 2021 census. Using the same method, population was approx. 86,000 in 2016. A rough calculation that assumes consistent growth and using population estimates for 2023, the current population could be over 200,000.
This makes sense. South is definitely a much larger area and continues to be fastest growing. I think some people mistakenly think that each quadrant of the city is "equal" in terms of services it should get/how many people are there/whether LRT service is warranted/shops and services, but the reality, at least for Edmonton's recent past, is that the south side has been far and away the biggest growth engine, is the most desirable area for new construction and growing most rapidly. My viewpoint is that the city should embrace this rather than attempt to change it. It would be folly to attempt to change the market preferences and you'll lose the advantages that would come with building out a really solid south side enclave, connection to the airport, and make an area that's large enough (with enough critical mass) to gain some national recognition as a very nice place to live/work within metro Edmonton.

City awards Design-Build contract for Capital Line South LRT Extension project​
June 12, 2024

The City of Edmonton has awarded the Design-Build contract for Phase 1 of the Capital Line South Extension project from Century Park to north of Ellerslie Road.

The City completed negotiations and formally awarded the contract to Capital Line Design-Build Ltd., a member of the Ledcor Group of Companies, with AECOM as their design partner. Over the coming months, the Ledcor team will begin detailed design with major construction along 111 Street anticipated to begin in 2025. Phase 1 of the project is a 4.5-kilometre, high-floor LRT extension along the west side of 111 Street and includes:

• An LRT underpass at 23 Avenue
  • Two bridges (one across Blackmud Creek and one across Anthony Henday Drive)
  • Two stations (Twin Brooks station and Heritage Valley North station connecting to the Heritage Valley Transit Centre and Park and Ride)
  • An Operations and Maintenance Facility (south of Anthony Henday Drive)
  • Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs)

“Our city is experiencing rapid growth,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “As more people choose to call Edmonton home, we need to respond to the added pressure on our transportation network. The Capital Line South Extension will help improve sustainable mobility options as we grow to a city of two million by increasing ridership capacity and providing additional transportation options to communities in south Edmonton.”

Ledcor was selected as the preferred bidder in April 2024. Contract negotiations between the City and the preferred bidder occurred throughout April and May to ensure a robust project agreement was in place to protect Edmontonians’ interests and deliver value.

“The Capital Line South Extension project is a critical addition to our LRT network,” said Craig Walbaum, Acting Deputy City Manager, Integrated Infrastructure Services. “This project has been many years in the making and delivers on The City Plan goals of improving how we move people quickly, efficiently and sustainably along our transportation corridors. We look forward to working with Ledcor to bring this transformational infrastructure to life.”

“Building on Ledcor’s 75-year legacy of serving Edmontonians, we are thrilled to be chosen by the City of Edmonton, with our design partner AECOM, to construct this vital new phase of public transit which will serve the city's growing population for many decades to come”, said Brad Mytko, SVP Infrastructure, Ledcor Group. “With passion and dedication, we will deliver a successful project, ensuring safety every step of the way.”

In addition to expanding the city’s mass transit infrastructure, the Capital Line South Extension project will deliver a range of benefits locally, regionally and nationally. An economic assessment estimates the extension will generate 9,500 full-time jobs and $1 billion in wages and salaries through construction, operations and maintenance. The project is also projected to generate $88 million in tax revenue for Alberta and $211 million for the rest of Canada over 30 years.

The $1.34 billion project has funding commitments from the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta and the City of Edmonton. Over the coming months, the City will continue to advocate to funding partners for additional funding contributions to help ease future tax implications for Edmontonians.​
For more information:
edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/capital-line-south

Media contact:
Jyllian Park
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-554-9001

Jennifer Villeneuve
Communications Manager
Ledcor​

Strange - already thought this was announced last month with the winning bid companies listed? This one is different only by the increased price tag. So they sent out a new presser thinking we didn't already see the first one? Whatever.....guess they had to announce the new price.....

Strange - already thought this was announced last month with the winning bid companies listed? This one is different only by the increased price tag. So they sent out a new presser thinking we didn't already see the first one? Whatever.....guess they had to announce the new price.....
They had probably announced the winning vendor, but, the contract wasn't signed at that point in time. The contract was only signed in late May.

City awards Design-Build contract for Capital Line South LRT Extension project​
June 12, 2024

The City of Edmonton has awarded the Design-Build contract for Phase 1 of the Capital Line South Extension project from Century Park to north of Ellerslie Road.

The City completed negotiations and formally awarded the contract to Capital Line Design-Build Ltd., a member of the Ledcor Group of Companies, with AECOM as their design partner. Over the coming months, the Ledcor team will begin detailed design with major construction along 111 Street anticipated to begin in 2025. Phase 1 of the project is a 4.5-kilometre, high-floor LRT extension along the west side of 111 Street and includes:
  • An LRT underpass at 23 Avenue
  • Two bridges (one across Blackmud Creek and one across Anthony Henday Drive)
  • Two stations (Twin Brooks station and Heritage Valley North station connecting to the Heritage Valley Transit Centre and Park and Ride)
  • An Operations and Maintenance Facility (south of Anthony Henday Drive)
  • Light Rail Vehicles (LRVs)

“Our city is experiencing rapid growth,” said Mayor Amarjeet Sohi. “As more people choose to call Edmonton home, we need to respond to the added pressure on our transportation network. The Capital Line South Extension will help improve sustainable mobility options as we grow to a city of two million by increasing ridership capacity and providing additional transportation options to communities in south Edmonton.”

Ledcor was selected as the preferred bidder in April 2024. Contract negotiations between the City and the preferred bidder occurred throughout April and May to ensure a robust project agreement was in place to protect Edmontonians’ interests and deliver value.

“The Capital Line South Extension project is a critical addition to our LRT network,” said Craig Walbaum, Acting Deputy City Manager, Integrated Infrastructure Services. “This project has been many years in the making and delivers on The City Plan goals of improving how we move people quickly, efficiently and sustainably along our transportation corridors. We look forward to working with Ledcor to bring this transformational infrastructure to life.”

“Building on Ledcor’s 75-year legacy of serving Edmontonians, we are thrilled to be chosen by the City of Edmonton, with our design partner AECOM, to construct this vital new phase of public transit which will serve the city's growing population for many decades to come”, said Brad Mytko, SVP Infrastructure, Ledcor Group. “With passion and dedication, we will deliver a successful project, ensuring safety every step of the way.”

In addition to expanding the city’s mass transit infrastructure, the Capital Line South Extension project will deliver a range of benefits locally, regionally and nationally. An economic assessment estimates the extension will generate 9,500 full-time jobs and $1 billion in wages and salaries through construction, operations and maintenance. The project is also projected to generate $88 million in tax revenue for Alberta and $211 million for the rest of Canada over 30 years.

The $1.34 billion project has funding commitments from the Government of Canada, the Government of Alberta and the City of Edmonton. Over the coming months, the City will continue to advocate to funding partners for additional funding contributions to help ease future tax implications for Edmontonians.​
For more information:
edmonton.ca/projects_plans/transit/capital-line-south

Media contact:
Jyllian Park
Communications Advisor
Integrated Infrastructure Services
780-554-9001

Jennifer Villeneuve
Communications Manager
Ledcor​
Construction now anticipated in 2025; no way they make the September 2028 target completion. Most likely 2029 opening barring no major delays.

I also feel like only having Ledcor and AECOM makes this D-B team pretty weak, especially considering the cost of the project- just my opinion though.

They announced that CLDB was their preferred partner, this is achieving financial close.

Construction now anticipated in 2025; no way they make the September 2028 target completion. Most likely 2029 opening barring no major delays.

I also feel like only having Ledcor and AECOM makes this D-B team pretty weak, especially considering the cost of the project- just my opinion though.
VLW is arguably a more complex project and it's only Colas and Parsons.

VLW is on schedule, what are you on about?
As someone on the citizen working group, we are getting pretty different impressions. I’ve tried to get more concrete “dates” or percentages, but they won’t share. But the head PR guy for the project that liaisons with the city/marigold said it’s been significantly worse than VLSE. Inexperience, lack of organization, patchwork all over, randomly opening and closing stuff and making last minute decisions. I really hope he’s overreacting, but when I pressed on “surely it can’t be worse than SE”, he said “it is”. Issues with labour, planning, comms.

Doesn’t feel that way, but I guess we’ll see over the next few years as it’s more clear if they’re on schedule or not. Would love to be wrong and for this guy to be misleading though.

As someone on the citizen working group, we are getting pretty different impressions. I’ve tried to get more concrete “dates” or percentages, but they won’t share. But the head PR guy for the project that liaisons with the city/marigold said it’s been significantly worse than VLSE. Inexperience, lack of organization, patchwork all over, randomly opening and closing stuff and making last minute decisions. I really hope he’s overreacting, but when I pressed on “surely it can’t be worse than SE”, he said “it is”. Issues with labour, planning, comms.

Doesn’t feel that way, but I guess we’ll see over the next few years as it’s more clear if they’re on schedule or not. Would love to be wrong and for this guy to be misleading though.
Thanks for sharing. Guess at this stage of construction progress on a mega project it's pretty easy to obscure issues that are blowing up schedules and causing cascading delays. Thinking back to VLSE, aside from the concrete mass in the river, they were very hush hush about issues until around 2019 when everything started publicly going off the rails.

Well I guess I will have to start visiting the west end and start observing where visual delays are. Not seeing construction everyday it's hard to tell if anything is actually going wrong. While they were building the Southeast line. I could see how things were taking so slow. And actually how in a couple cases there is still incomplete work (66st. 38ave and north on the west side of the street)

The obvious solution here is what they should have done last may: don’t build the twin brooks station.
That would save most likely 300 million from the project budget. More importantly, it’s too close to century park for a suburban LRT line. Residents said they don’t want it, it’s only a 5-10 minute bus ride to century park. I don’t think that’s worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Having the meeting in secret is fine given that it’s hurtful to AECOM and Ledcor, but also the city- private bargaining and negotiating is extremely confidential. That said, the legislation pathway is all wrong- it should go public debate prior to the bylaw.

Regardless, I mentioned here before how far behind this project is, and now the city website has it another year behind- September 2028 (was September 2027). The crazy thing is that in June 2021, the completion was in Q4 2026. How can 3 years pass and the completion date has changed this much? All funding was secured in late 2021.

The city has a deep flaw in managing large projects, of course inflation is a major issue here; but if we are paying 1.3 billion, not withstanding change orders and other cost overruns, for 4km of track, 1 OMF, and 2 stations, what will the metro line extension cost? I struggle to see this city being able to afford any other LRT expansion when the costs of this project are insane for the scope of work.

There is no way the cost of this project is in line with its benefits. Only $1.6 billion for the VLSE and $2.6 billion for the VLW; id rather wait and get higher value for money than whatever this catastrophe of a project is turning out to be.
its a p3. The price is the price, the city doesn't manage the project.

Back