News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

All they had to do was build two stations and track in a bare, level field—not exactly rocket science, celebrating it being on budget and on schedule is one hell of a low bar

I’m hopeful this might help accelerate development and higher density projects though! Lots of good examples of how building “transit to nowhere” can actually work out well long term as new residents don’t build car-centric patterns from day 1 as often. Idk if that will be true here though. But trying to be positive 😁

Only (not only but close) in Edmonton do you build mass transit to 'nowhere'... and yet Oliver and 124st is without this service.

NAIT is going to have to expand their trades and related offerings over the next 5years to help match their commitment to expanding delivery of said trade grads, so that makes sense; here's hoping some housing as well, but I suspect it will be upwards of 5 more years before much is completed.

I’m hopeful this might help accelerate development and higher density projects though! Lots of good examples of how building “transit to nowhere” can actually work out well long term as new residents don’t build car-centric patterns from day 1 as often. Idk if that will be true here though. But trying to be positive 😁
I remember being a kid in the 80's and seeing Phoenix's Hwy 101 Tempe - Scottsdale (ring road) be stagnant for decades. I always remember a ton of overpasses were built with NO roads built between them. It was literally over 15 years before they overpasses were connected, but they were thinking of sprawl in advance.....no different than this.

Clareview was a “nowhere” station back in 1981. Moo ok re development followed. I think Blatchford Station will see more action as the line is extended.
Yes, it is currently the end point but that will eventually change. Also, Blatchford itself does have the capacity for a lot of growth, although that has been slow to date.

Eventually 30,000 people projected. Even if it is only 20,000 say similar to Oliver, that is still a good size community.

Sure, but even then it is the fringe and not the core of our most transit ready/dense neighbourhood.

Bassackwards.

Update on the Capital Line South extension going to Executive Committee in a couple of weeks. There's a big red flag in the administration report:
Due to significant economic pressures and market uncertainty, estimated project costs have escalated. Ongoing work is being done to identify efficiencies to keep projected costs within the approved project funding, while also achieving the vision of the approved LRT Network Plan.
In response, a few changes are planned:
  • Making the Heritage Valley North station at-grade
  • Crossing Ellerslie Road at-grade
  • Reducing the number of LRVs purchased
  • Shrinking the size of the Operations and Maintenance Facility

Update on the Capital Line South extension going to Executive Committee in a couple of weeks. There's a big red flag in the administration report:

In response, a few changes are planned:
  • Making the Heritage Valley North station at-grade
  • Crossing Ellerslie Road at-grade
  • Reducing the number of LRVs purchased
  • Shrinking the size of the Operations and Maintenance Facility
Grade separation must not be dropped!

You hobble your ability to increase frequency of service in the future.

Back