News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"build on" means it will not be a continuation of the existing York and John Quay promenades, which already provide the "distinct and recognizable identity for Toronto's revitalized waterfront " that this new sheme proposes, but rather an additional layering of design.

And how long before this grand vision is swallowed up by an even bigger fish?

I'm a little vague on what exactly is being done... but potentially this could be huge.

I'm excited for the potential, even if I'm not chrystal clear on the concept.

I wonder if Foster's design will be a variation on the West Kowloon Cultural District "canopy" design in Hong Kong, considering that the TWRC is looking for "wow factor".

... and like WKCD, I have a bad feeling that the winning design will get tossed around before any construction begins.

Thanks for the info, were there any pix in the star about this?

thenay:

No pics - they've just shortlisted the 5 - public info to come this May.

Another note from the backgrounder - the light "poles" dropped from the original Harboufront scheme is apparently going to be in the project, as an overall district element.

AoD

If this is not a teaser or just another delay tactic then this is truly awesome news!! This will have more impact on our city and on our city's profile than any building that could possibly be built (okay i'm exagerating here, but you get my point).

According to National Post they're hoping to break ground this fall once they determine the winner in May.

We inherited the Music Garden when Boston stumbled, so maybe we'll get HK's canopy if that thing falls through.

babel:

We'd able to afford it if Foster managed to use Saran wrap as the material.

AoD

I suffer from a bit of planning competition announcement fatigue on the waterfront. I'm looking forward to seeing H20 take shape this summer but somehow yet another planning exercise doesn't get me going regardless of which celebrity designers decide to grace star-struck Toronto with their presence.

I wonder what they're going to do with the Westin Hotel. That sits right on the waterfront destroying the whole area. Basically right from Younge st. all the way to Queens Quay Terminal, it's a total write-off. How can you fix up that mess, unless you tear the suckers down? (god, I wish they could, it's UGLY!))

I'll be interested to see what the would recommend for Queens Quay, because it seems to me you can't do much about the street without tackling some of the buildings along it. The Westin Hotel is definitely among the worst offendors. If you could hide some of the above-level parking garages somehow it would help, but it's really hard to imagine a lot of improvement without changing some elements of the buildings in some way.

News on the waterfront seems to be getting better and better. If they pick someone in May, we should be seeing some designs soon...

Back