News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC

Crap. Will we have to wait until Monday to see some designs or did the press already have a chance to check them out?

Innovative Design Competition - Visual Transformation!

I was at the press briefing this morning at Harbourfront Centre.

Absolutely Jaw Dropping

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From dozens of light beacons out in the lake, to a maple leaf shaped boardwalk in the inner harbour, to three massive sail shaped buildings out at the end of each pier containing hotels/cafes and cultural venues, to solar panel covered transporation hubs at the bottom of each slip, a new ferry terminal, to a new inner island, to a grad staircase leading towards the CN Tower, all the proposals will transform our central waterfront into something spectacular and special.

The renderings, site plans and scale models were so much fun to look at. Speaking to several of the architects was truly inspiring and exciting! I really encourage everyone to attend the public exhibition at BCE Place.

If you can't make it out downtown, TWRC actually took my recommendation and will have displays at Sherway Gardens, Fairview Mall and Scarborough Town Centre. Beautiful postcards will also be wildly distributed to the public which you can fill out with your comments and mail back to the TWRC.

Louroz

Re: Innovative Design Competition - Visual Transformation!

Why not make them available in pdf?

I have a CD with all the proposals, I'll try to extract the images (I don't even know if that's possible).

If not, you may have to wait until Monday!

Louroz

FM:

Do you have any idea as to whether the files on it are pdfs or in powerpoint format?

AoD

From thestar.ca

Vote online!

www.thestar.com/static/Specials/design/060512_waterfront_poll.html#

The one rendering doesn't do justice to all the proposals.

060512_waterfront01.jpg

This is the entry from Project On Revitalizing Toronto (P.O.R.T.).

This group's plan includes a long pier connecting the lake with the waterfront.

060512_waterfront02.jpg

The entry from WASAW.

This group envisions very colourful recreational spaces along the waterfront.

060512_waterfront03.jpg

The entry from West 8 & du Toit Allsopp Hillier.

This group plans to combine what it calls the primary waterfront with a floating waterfront along with a boulevard and slip-ends.

060512_waterfront05.jpg

The entry from Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects & Martinez Lapena-Torres Architects.

The group describes its slip/pavilion concept as follows: "The heads of Portland, Spadina, Simcoe, Yonge, and Jarvis slips will be marked by urban scale roof canopies which appear to float above the pavilions. The canopies will shelter both street car commuters and passersby. The canopies and the pavilions together form a hub of activity at the head's of the
slips

060512_waterfront04.jpg

This is the entry from Foster and Partners with Atelier Dreiseitl.

Their concept features sail-like structures called Water Gardens in the Sky, which includes restaurant, residential and hotel space.

Louroz

Thanks for posting FM!

Impossible to judge on the basis of one rendering - but each of the proposal have elements I would like to see in the waterfront.

Foster's "sails" are pretty impressive - and thankfully not very derivative from Utzon's Sydney Opera House. It's actually reminscent of Renzo Piano's Centre Culturel Tjibaou.

AoD

Lets do them all!

I love the idea of a massive pier. Plus that really funky colourful maze or sorts. Those sails do look awesome. Imagine 5 of those matching all sticking out into the waterfront with the tops all lit up acting as beacons.

Impressive stuff.

^^Thanks Future Mayor.

Hmmm...I guess no one told any of these teams about the need to pre-emptively Canadianize their proposals--ie by cutting the budget 40% and saying goodbye to anything really spectacular--since that's what will probably happen anyway. Somebody should probably tell Norman Foster that he ain't in London anymore...

Hope I'm wrong though. These look cool.

Loving the Foster. Just imagine 5 - 10 of these along the waterfront with the #1 pier in the middle. Classy :)

The concept of those Foster sailswould be great centre pieces to the waterfront.

Not sure of the rest of the plan, but looking forward to see the rest of the designs in more detail.

The TWRC shows they're still alive, municipal leadership gets a boost in election year, Lord Foster and Will Alsop get free publicity, and the masses get another visual narcotic to tide them through. What's not to like?

I love that Pier from PORT. That should be extended from the foot of Yonge.

Thanks :) I voted for Foster and Partner's sail structures, it would add something different to our skyline, something different to the waterfront and add another restaurant, residential spaces and hotel :)

Back