News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Based on those pics, I am a bit underwhelmed. A million bucks for a strip of grass? What's the point? They could have saved a million and just blocked the southern lanes and put a few planters.

The beautiful thing about the winning submission were the trees and this area desperately needs some doozies.

The area still looks barren and full of concrete and tar, but now there is a strip of grass. And because the sidewalks are so narrow, people will be walking on the grass and it will not stay green for long (if that is in the permanent plan).

This is a start but it ain't much of a start.

This is a start but it ain't much of a start.

It's just a basic, temporary change to give people a taste of what's to come.

I think it's a great idea. I wasn't expecting it to look anything close to what the finished product will be.

It will really give people the opportunity to visualize. I think it would've been a great idea (don't know if they've done this) to put renderings up of what the area may look like after the revitalization, as per the winning proposal. Then people could really understand what would be taking place.

They are also offering tons of free events and activities for people for the entire 10 days.

For instance, you can take tours on that Kajama sailing ship for free, or learn how to kayak for free, or... tons of different stuff every day.

I'm sure a lot of money went into the costs for all those events.

From the Star, by Hume:

A glorious kick in the asphalt
Aug. 12, 2006. 07:22 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

The future has arrived, if only for 10 days. Opened yesterday and running until next Sunday, with an official launch today at 9 a.m., the central waterfront, along Queens Quay from York to Spadina, has been handed over to pedestrians and cyclists, flowers and grass. The program is a dry run for permanent changes starting next summer.

That's if all goes according to schedule. The pace of change in Toronto the Timid is historically grindingly slow. This time, however, the city pulled out all the stops and made it happen.

After five years of work, plans drawn up by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. are taking shape. The agency, established in 2000 by the federal, provincial and municipal governments, was created to oversee transformation of the waterfront into a mixed-use area that will be home to 100,000 residents.

The alterations to Queens Quay are just another small step along the way. The new scheme, designed by West 8 of Rotterdam and Du Toit Allsopp Hillier of Toronto, has already turned the waterfront into something that would have been unimaginable several years ago.

Though the final version will go beyond what has been done now, the current reconfiguration provides an exciting, even magical, hint of what's to come. Most noticeably, the two eastbound lanes of Queens Quay have been closed to traffic; one lane has become the missing portion of the Martin Goodman Trail, the other a kilometre-long grassy strip. The streetcar tracks, which run down the middle of Queens Quay, are separated from the trail by a long — very long — row of potted geraniums.

As work finished yesterday, it was clear that though these alterations are just a taste of what lies ahead, the potential is enormous. At the same time, the temporary transformation reveals how much still needs to be done.

The most obvious missing element in the temporary arrangement is the urban forest the scheme calls for. That was beyond the scope of this 10-day test, which even in its reduced state cost almost $1 million.

Though some visitors, especially drivers, were confused, initial reaction seemed overwhelmingly positive. And why not? Who would argue with a linear park lined with Muskoka chairs and flowers? Who would complain about setting up a pedestrian zone on the water's edge, a place where families can wander by the shores of Lake Ontario?

"I love it," enthused local resident Ulla Colgrass. "I think it's great. Almost every European city has a pedestrian district and people flock to them."

On the other hand, the ratty state of the sidewalk that runs along the south side of Queens Quay was hard to ignore. And there are problems with cars exiting and entering parking lots south of Queens Quay. The fact that the temporary Martin Goodman Trail is simply the asphalt surface of the pre-existing road also means it's hard to read as a distinct element of its own.

These are the sorts of things that will be dealt with in the final version, which organizers hope will be started next summer. For the next few days, however, they will be looking, measuring, counting and generally trying to understand what works and what doesn't.

"It's gorgeous," said a smiling Adriaan Geuze, who heads the design team. "It's exactly what we had in mind. It's so normal, but now it seems so strange."

Indeed, it did. People weren't sure whether to step on the grass, ride their bikes on the sidewalk or skateboard on the road. Reclaiming the city from the car happens so rarely in Toronto.

"We agonize endlessly about what to do," said Chris Glaisek, the waterfront agency's vice-president of planning and design. "That's why I think this is so spectacular. My greatest hope is that by the end of the trial people will be upset we're taking it down."

Except for diehard drivers, those most abjectly addicted to their vehicles, this will surely be the case. True, the changes don't go far enough in themselves, but the intention was to wake up Torontonians to the possibilities of waterfront revitalization.

West 8 and DTAH propose to build bridges across slips that are now where trails dead-end; they intend to repave the whole area and plant thousands of trees. The hope is to connect the waterfront to the rest of the city and make a setting more conducive to urban life.

Keep in mind also that HT0, the "urban beach" under construction on the water's edge west of John Quay, will be finished one day. Though a year or two behind schedule — who can remember? — the important thing is that it's underway.

"What we have done is really as simple as you can imagine," said Adam Nicklin of DTAH. "But it works. Now we want to see how people colonize it and use it."

Geuze agrees: "It's important to understand traffic circulation, access to condos and whether shopkeepers believe it is good for them."

It helped, of course, that Mayor David Miller adopted the scheme as a personal project; waterfront agency officials say that without pressure from his office, the necessary approvals would have taken months, even years, not weeks. As it was, some permits didn't arrive until hours before work started.

Whatever its limitations and flaws, the next 10 days will be memorable, perhaps even extraordinary; the Queens Quay closing and the new landscape, though temporary, are the best thing to have happened in Toronto in years.

The sooner they become permanent the better.

AoD

It will really give people the opportunity to visualize. I think it would've been a great idea (don't know if they've done this) to put renderings up of what the area may look like after the revitalization, as per the winning proposal. Then people could really understand what would be taking place.

There's an informtion booth at York & Queens Quay with a couple of renderings and pamphlets about the event. It's very similar - if not the same as the .pdf posted on page 1 of this thread.

A couple more photos from this morning. All in all it's a nice setup - lots more room for bikes mostly.

213263065_a6c7ba386f_b.jpg

213262369_c488720167_b.jpg

213260843_ee74c86d46_b.jpg

and one of the spectacular Music Garden - still the best waterfront park for my money.

213260176_c3d3135985_b.jpg

My photos from Saturday afternoon, and some of my comments on the features of Quay to the City.

LINEAR PARK (BIKE LANES AND GRASS STRIP)

The bike lanes were obviously the biggest feature of this exercise. I didn't take my bike down with me, so I could not see the lanes from the perspective of a cyclist. I can only comment on what I see walking along it.

The QttC literature called the closed off section of Queen's Quay a linear park. I see it more as a bike expressway. It's good news for the cyclists, but the "linear park" provides no benefits to pedestrians. Most pedestrians stayed clear of the grass strip, preferring to walk on the original sidewalk (a few brave ones walked in the middle of the bike lanes). The QttC guide calls the grass strip a "one-kilometre picnic lawn", but unless you're homeless, you probably wouldn't even think of having a picnic there. Pedestrian crossing of the bike lanes is difficult since there are no designated crossing points.

The grass strip and the geranium beds really give colour to the street. I especially liked taking photos of the lawn with the streetcars. I think this kind of layout would be perfect for the grass strips along suburban thoroughfares.

One improvement I would like to see is more bike racks and bike parking areas along Queen's Quay. According to the QttC map racks are located at Rees Street, northwest of Harbourfront Centre. Some racks can be found scattered around the Harbourfront, but they are inadequate for the number of cyclists who came down today. It's as though the cyclists are not welcome to stay at Harbourfront Centre.

P1050339.jpg

P1050343.jpg

P1050347.jpg

P1050349.jpg

P1050350.jpg

P1050352.jpg

P1050364.jpg

P1050367.jpg

P1050370.jpg

P1050371.jpg

P1050372.jpg

P1050373.jpg

P1050375.jpg

P1050378.jpg

P1050380.jpg

P1050382.jpg

P1050397.jpg

P1050398.jpg

P1050399.jpg

P1050407.jpg

Bike parking problem

BIKE 'ARC DE TRIOMPHE'

I like the idea of it, but the sculpture itself is less than impressive. The scaffolding that forms the structure of the arch is not entirely covered by bikes and bike parts, making it look somewhat cheap. A better built, more permanent version of it might be a nice addition to the city's public art collection.

P1050341.jpg

P1050342.jpg

P1050427.jpg

SANDBOXES

The TWRC put out a number of sandboxes for children to enjoy. They look like your average playground versions, which might sometimes be mistaken for being a public dog litter box.

Again, nice idea, but doesn't look good enough. I would like to see something bigger and more fun, like a massive nautical themed climbing/swing set.

P1050344.jpg

P1050365.jpg

MUSKOKA CHAIRS

By far the best feature of QttC, in my opinion. Muskoka chairs are strategically placed in nice locations on the waterfront promenade with views to the lake.

I don't care if a bunch of Dutch architects want to recreate Muskoka on the Toronto waterfront because that is what they think of Canada. I think the chairs make great street furniture. For many people in Toronto or who are visiting Toronto who don't have the chance to go up to cottage country, sitting in these chairs with views to the lake will give them a little idea of what they're missing out on.

P1050362.jpg

P1050387.jpg

P1050392.jpg

P1050428.jpg

Thanks elook and wylie.

I found the whole thing a little underwhelming, esp. considering the budget of 1M. The sandboxes look rather pitful, and althought the Muskoka chairs appears nice, there doesn't seem to be nearly enough of them. The Bike d'Triomphe also looks very ad-hoc, Molson-Indy grandstand-ish.

AoD

The Bike d'Triomphe also looks very ad-hoc, Molson-Indy grandstand-ish.
Or Bubble-ova Tower-ish (y'know, that thing what stood in Colonial Park not long ago)

I think if you keep in mind this is a two week "taste" of what they have in mind, then it's a success. The feeling of being free from traffic is there, but the fact the road is still clearly visible underfoot makes the transformation incomplete.

Judging from the aritist conceptions of the final product, the road is to be removed, and the entire width will be made-over to have more of a sidewalk/path feel.

I heard a lot of positive comments, and one negative comment (from a guy on a bike saying that it was nuts to consider closing the road to traffic).

The Muskoka chairs should be a permanent fixture on the waterfront - paint them blue and white (or let artists do them up, but please no ads), add the Toronto logo and put hundreds of them all over the place - on the boardwalk in the Beach, at Sunnyside, anywhere. I can really see those becoming a TO trademark.

HTO seems to be nearing completion, as is the area to the west of the fire station. There's a nice little park on the north side now as well in that area.

The new condos, aside from housing a Starbucks, suck ass. The streetwall is terrible, and kills any decent feel the area could have had. The addition of the Sobey's and a Shoppers in the old antique market is much needed.

Overall, it's starting to come together, but there's still a lack of reasons to go down there save for walking along the water.

There's a lack of good eats, no family friendly dining to speak of, and a general disconnect with the lake still. The boardwalk continues to be broken up, forcing you back to the street all the time to get around the various inlets. Bridges might help, similar to the one at pier 4 and the little concert area.

The Muskoka chairs should be a permanent fixture on the waterfront

That's a great idea. I'd like to see them in the rest of the city too... parks, Dundas Square, Nathan Philip Square, major sidewalks, and even subway platforms. The Muskoka chairs could be a city-wide art project, just like the moose from the Mel Lastman era.

P1050349.jpg

Looks like a significant improvement to me... and so unlike Toronto to move quickly like this - election related? Now all we need is the patios lining the street.

Looks all right so far.

But this is the one of the ugliest things I have ever seen.

P1050427.jpg

I like it. It may be temporary and not as refined as if it was permanent construction but it goes a long way to take the harsh edge off of a rather concrete, bland area.

I can't wait until they actually get going with this project.

I was recently thinking about the giant maple leaf in the water, and though I was initially against it, I hope they find a way to implement it. There still is a kitsch factor, but it would also be interesting and something that would draw people (tourists) to the waterfront, if only for a look - and most importantly, it wouldn't detract from the rest of the waterfront design.

I hope they do the park around the CN Tower as well.

Back