News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We need bridges

I want to see all those quays attached by bridges (and of course, the Gardiner come down) so you can walk the whole waterfront, downtown and not have to walk on queens quay. I think that will make the biggest improvement to the waterfront. Also the island ferries need to be moved and rebuilt in a way as to not block access along the waterfront. They could use a bridge and underpass like they do at Ontario Place and then we would not have to walk on Queens Quay and be assaulted by the Harbourpoint condos and the ugly Harbour Castle monstrosity. I hate walking by those buildings.>: Queens quay from Younge to Harbourfront is so wrong!

Who were the politicians who voted to approve those? I hope they are long gone from Toronto city council. Anybody know about that? Was Pam Mcconnell around back then? If she was, and she voted for it, I will be sending out some hatemail!! lol GRRR!!!

Re: We need bridges

Er...Harbour Castle was effectively greenlighted, I dunno, 35 years ago? Before David Crombie, even. "Long gone" is putting it mildly...

Who were the politicians who voted to approve those? I hope they are long gone from Toronto city council. Anybody know about that? Was Pam Mcconnell around back then? If she was, and she voted for it, I will be sending out some hatemail!! lol GRRR!!!

Don't be too hard on Toronto... every city f*cked up badly in that era. Just look at the "urban renewal" that occurred in New York, Boston and Montreal in the 60s and 70s... it's enough to make your blood boil.

Now that the project's done, it's looking pretty good. I definitely see the benefits, and it makes a nice attractive bikeway. I say they should go for it, and the preview idea is an excellent way to build community support. I was hesitant before, and now I'm firmly in favour.

I biked down there and I must say I also found the whole thing underwhelming. The chairs were nice and it was definately good to have a proper bike path through the central waterfront. They should have just pulled a fast one and cemented those retaining stones right in.

I cycled down around there and actually felt quite different from most of the people who've commented so far. The absence of the lane of traffic, and the inclusion of some greenery and flowers, completely changed the feel of Harbourfront and Queens Quay. Since the materials are temporary, I wasn't expecting much from them, but the concept really showed how incredibly different Harbourfront would be if this plan is realized. With the various projects that are happening down there, the area is really coming together. Not in a QueenStreet/CollegeStreet kind of way, but in a touristy-livable-residential-commercial waterfront kind of way.

I spent a bit of time just watching the huge crowds of people around Queens Quay and thought that the whole scene was quite amazing.

Commentary in the Star by Hume:

Trail marks waterfront shift
Aug. 14, 2006. 06:38 AM

There's still a week to go, but so far the great waterfront experiment has been a huge success. That's not to say there aren't complaints, but most of those are about the fact it will end too soon.

Generally, however, Torontonians love the idea of closing two lanes of Queens Quay at the central waterfront and turning them over to pedestrians and cyclists. That shouldn't be surprising, but one can only hope our no-can-do, lowest-common-denominator councillors will keep this in their tiny minds in the months and years ahead.

The biggest single issue — and an understandable one — is the cost of the 10-day project, almost $1 million. That's a lot of money, but where was it spent?

Shockingly, about one quarter or one third of the money will go to the police. That's right, Toronto's Finest! One might have thought that police services had already been paid for — after all, Toronto Police Services receives nearly $800 million annually. Apparently, that's not enough. So the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp., which is spending public funds, must itself pay the officers, whose main job is to stand at the various intersections along Queens Quay.

Some would consider this outrageous, but that's the way it is.

Other than paying for police, the money went to installation costs (mostly labour) and to a lesser extent, materials. It's worth noting, too, that the sod in the kilometre-long linear park will be re-used, as will the concrete blocks that hold it in place. The row of geraniums that separates the streetcar tracks from the Martin Goodman Trail will be handed out free at the end of the project next Sunday.

No one would argue that the waterfront experiment shouldn't have happened because of the price of policing, and one doesn't recall any discussion about the question earlier. But other than that it represents money well spent. If one takes into account the transformative effects of the project on both the physical city and the hearts and minds of residents, it's money doubly well spent.

Faced with the prospect of change, Torontonians, like most city dwellers, grow twitchy and nervous. Even beyond the money involved, they want things to stay just the way they are, no matter how bad they may be. This phenomenon mustn't be discounted. Its most common manifestation may be NIMBYism, but the fear of change extends further than people's backyards.

That's why the central waterfront experiment has already become so instructive. The key was to have introduced change as a temporary measure. Sounds simple and it is, but without that condition, it would never have happened. And if it had never happened, revitalizing this section of the waterfront would take forever.

It still could, of course. But the important thing is the process has started. The psychological shift is underway and now the main problems that remain are nuts-and-bolts questions — how to deal with parking lot entrances, what should the paving look like, what sort of vegetation should be planted ...

For the designers, West 8 of Rotterdam and Du Toit Allsopp Hillier of Toronto, the task will be to complete the detailed plans so that permanent work can begin next summer. For the waterfront corporation, the job is to ensure the project doesn't drown in red tape and the seemingly endless approvals, permits and approvals that are required. The list of agencies involved is truly daunting, everything from the TTC and EMS to the police and the Toronto Port Authority. None of these bodies sees beyond its narrow interest and accommodating all their demands, many of them irrational, is why the city has become a stultified mess.

The other complaint is that the changes on the central waterfront don't go far enough. They don't. But starting next summer, when trees are put in the ground, when slips are bridged, when HtO, Toronto's urban beach, is complete, when the sidewalks are paved, they will.

In the meantime, it's time to start asking why the 10-day experiment can't be extended, say, to Labour Day. Perhaps the police could give us a break, maybe even volunteer their services in the interests of the community they profess to serve and protect. To mark the occasion, special nametags could even be issued. Now there's an idea.

AoD

In 30 years time the avenue of trees planted here will have matured to create a lovely canopy of shade, with cool breezes and the sound of rustling leaves above, all along the waterfront during the summer.

A few strips of grass beneath the baking sun in 2006 isn't a true indication of what time will bring.

Those strips of grass will be replaced by trees in the end, right?

Heavy foot traffic in a fairly confined area would make grassing-over the whole width of the pedestrian boulevard pointless. You'd end up with trails worn in the grass. The canopy of trees, and pedestrian movement beneath them, will define the nature of this thing more than anything else.

This is definately a step in the right direction. Anybody with a little vision can see from the pictures that the eventual addition of trees and grass, plantings and pavement will make this stunning. I love the Muskoka chairs too.

That Star article says work will begin next summer, but I've heard that they will be starting this fall.

Also, there are rumours that the temporary installation will be extended to Labour Day, as it's so successful so far.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Does the West8 proposal include grassing the streetcar track path? I recall that at least 2 proposals, including Foster's proposed that.

Quay to the City shaping up to be a $1-million mirage

JOHN BARBER

E-mail John Barber | Read Bio | Latest Columns

Last week's narrowing of Queens Quay along the central waterfront, with long strips of sod and geraniums framing a new bicycle route on the southern half of the roadway, is such an easy and obvious improvement it should be permanent.

It fills a critical gap in a hugely popular route that is now almost completely continuous for more than 40 kilometres across the front of the entire city. It pushes cars, which clearly don't need all the space currently allotted to them on Queens Quay, away from the waterfront. The temporary boulevard where they once roamed south of the streetcar tracks, currently staked out by grass and flowers, could be a double row of tall trees. It is a classic "just do it" proposition.

Alas the current promotion, put on by the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp., is only a tease -- maybe even a mirage. The new configuration will be gone by the end of the week and the TWRC will return to reality: looking for the extra $30-million it needs to build the imagined boulevard. Given a long history of grand waterfront plans that raised expectations enormously, only to be abandoned when the time for writing real cheques came and went, one can only be wary of the current 10-day wonder, called Quay to the City.

But learning that it cost $1-million to produce is almost alarming.

The corporation defends the spending as being roughly equivalent to what the city spends on its Yonge Street festival every year. What riles some observers is the correspondingly stingy amount the city spends on permanent improvements. While grand plans unfurl amid much hoopla -- as part of Quay to the City, the TWRC has gone so far as to "wrap" a streetcar with coloured renderings of its waterfront dreamscape -- spending on actual improvements is minuscule.

"It is galling to see this kind of splurge when Toronto's parks department is so starved for funds that it takes years of begging to get a single park bench installed, young trees watered, or a ravine slope protected," former Metro councillor and current midtown activist Ila Bossons wrote recently. "We can't even water the plants we've got -- and down there they're doing make-believe."

Because TWRC projects are cost-shared by three governments, our friends elsewhere in Ontario and the country are paying for most of Quay to the City. On its own nickel, however, Toronto spends a paltry $1.5-million a year on "civic improvement" -- enough to pay for a few new handrails, drinking fountains and the like. That is the reality -- and the TWRC, which is spending two-thirds of that amount on a 10-day suggestion of a major improvement, one that is fairly begging to happen, is hardly exempt.

Like its predecessors going back to David Crombie's Royal Commission on the Future of the Toronto Waterfront and beyond, the TWRC is becoming expert at raising expectations in order to bring pressure to bear on always reluctant governments to realize their expensive plans. The problem with the strategy is that it has never worked.

But who knows? This time could be different.

In some ways it already is. Despite its early wallowing, the TWRC has since completed popular upgrades to York Quay and John Quay. Further west, the city's new HtO park at what used to be called Maple Leaf Quay is going swimmingly -- two years late but looking great. East of Yonge Street, a robust condominium market is promising to help return a long-standing waterfront dead zone to active public use.

But there are too many environmental assessments and funding crises ahead to suggest anything like clear sailing. The TWRC estimates it will need $60-million to rebuild Queens Quay between Yonge and Bathurst streets, as per the plans suggested by Quay to the City, of which only $30-million is currently "identified." And rebuilding Queens Quay is only a tiny part of the work called for in the central waterfront plan it released this spring to great acclaim.

If wishing worked, it would all be real -- and permanent.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

Because TWRC projects are cost-shared by three governments, our friends elsewhere in Ontario and the country are paying for most of Quay to the City.

Elsewhere in Ontario and the country? Where does he think all that money comes from in the first place?

Back