News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

....oh, how could I forget the beautiful wooden bridges?

I think the bridges and wooden slip ends will become another Toronto trademark, recognizable on post cards.

I went to the meeting which was full or nearly full. Several hundred people there.

David Miller made a surprise appearance and gave an unscheduled speech.

Ironically, there wasn't much new information about our waterfront. The speakers, which are the landscape architects involved in East Bayfront & HtO, West Donlands, Lake Ontario Park and the Central Waterfront, described their previous projects.

I did find a new respect for the complexity of this project and was happy to know that most of the hard work (buying land, negociating with the parties involved, EA's, red tape, etc) is nearing completion and that tangible progress, stuff that we can see is slowly building up. 2007 will be an exciting year on the waterfront.

West8's presentation was conspicuously a lot like their competition speech. Adriann Geuze talked about the West8's vision of the Toronto waterfront as a cottage country escape within the city.

As for implementation, I read a slide that said that 2006/2007 would involve 2 phases. The first of which will see the building of one of slip end (the wavy wooden pier at the foot of each slip end) and the second phase would transform Queen Quay from Spadina to York.

The West8 speaker described how using wood makes for a very affordable, quick and -- most importantly -- a buildable project. He said that architects need only to design one bridge for example, and then adapt each one to each particular situation, which will get things done very quickly. Design, cut lumber, assemble.

FuturoMayor said his impression is that these 2 phases would take til 2008 to complete. I continue to affirm that phase 1 and 2 are for 2007 from what I gathered. It's more likely that the whole landscape project could be done by 2008 due to the quick assembly that Adriaan Geuze talked about.

I'll wait to get more info before crying out that nothing is getting done.

West8's presentation was conspicuously a lot like their competition speech. Adriann Geuze talked about the West8's vision of the Toronto waterfront as a cottage country escape within the city.

I love it...keep it simple and natural.

Star: Plucking a Jewel from Lakefront Drab (Hume)

From the Star:

Plucking a jewel from lakefront drab
Nov. 20, 2006. 06:11 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME

It's the architects who get all the attention, but more than ever it's the landscape architects who deserve it.

Nowhere more so than on Toronto's sleeping beauty of a waterfront. That became wonderfully clear this week when the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. handed over its annual general meeting to four of the planet's leading landscapists, remarkably, all of them working in this city.

By the time they're finished, this quartet will have transformed the waterfront, and with it, Toronto.

About time, too.

While most eyes have been focused on the so-called Cultural Renaissance — we'll see about that — the TWRC has quietly assembled a team that could make this city's waterfront the envy of the world.

Of course, given the petulance and lack of sophistication of all three levels of government, anything could go wrong between now and then. But if these practitioners are allowed to do what they can, the results will be a splendid renewal of the relationship between Toronto and Lake Ontario.

The four — West 8 (Rotterdam), Field Operations (New York), Claude Cormier Architectes Paysagistes (Montreal) and Michael Van Valkenburgh Associates (New York) — are responsible for hundreds of hectares of prime real estate, much of it now a post-industrial wasteland. To them, that's nothing new. Indeed, much of the rebuilding of cities this century is all about reclaiming disused shipyards, abandoned harbours, old factories and the like.

Toronto has no shortage of sites, especially on the waterfront, much of which has sat empty for decades. But done intelligently, these derelict properties could become the saviour of the city in the years ahead.

The possibilities of these modern man-made landscapes are vast. Even a small scheme like Van Valkenburgh's 16-acre Don River Park will anchor a new neighbourhood of 6,000 residential units. Located on the west side of the Don, south of King St. at the east end of an extended Esplanade, the facility will include open lawns as well as sports fields, a marsh, playground, trees and an urban prairie. More than that, the space will be a local park and a city icon despite being cut off, mostly from the south and east. Situated atop a berm now being built to stop flooding, it will begin construction next year.

The biggest of the four projects, Lake Ontario Park, extends 37 kilometres along the shoreline from the R.C. Harris Filtration Plant west to Cherry Beach and the tip of the Leslie Street Spit. Though big at 965 acres, it is long and thin. It will encompass a variety of conditions and features from sandy beaches to thickly treed stands.

"It's all edge," said Ellen Neises of Field Operations. "There's no interior."

Though the master plan won't be ready until early next year, she talked at the meeting about "transects and outposts," ways of moving through the landscape to a wide variety of zones and destinations. The idea is to create a signature park for Canada as well as Toronto. The potential, she said, is enormous.

To the north, Cormier's 46-acre Commissioners' Park will be an essay in the contemporary urban landscape. Using the idea of camouflage, he has devised an approach that allows for an overlay of dedicated spaces — playing fields — with a more "naturalistic" sensibility.

Cormier also worked on HtO, the innovative urban beach now taking form at the foot of Simcoe St.

The fourth firm, West 8, was represented by founder Adriaan Geuze. He and DTAH of Toronto won the competition to redesign the central waterfront last summer. Their proposal will narrow Queen's Quay from four lanes to two and add thousands of trees to the area. It also focuses on the slipheads, which will be expanded and bridged.

The scheme was tested in a 10-day trial last August. Most visitors thought it a success. Work on the central waterfront will start next summer.

Though most of the attention here has been lavished on projects like Frank Gehry's redo of the Art Gallery of Ontario and Daniel Libeskind's addition to the Royal Ontario Museum, the truth is that their works are instantly familiar. By contrast, the landscape never repeats itself; every park is unique. With cities needing renewal more than new buildings, this is good news.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

AoD

I'm very excited about the changes at Queens Quay - I think it will be something that really changes Harbourfront.

I'm not sure why Hume feels the need to compare the building of opera houses and expansion of museums unfavourably to parks, there's no obvious reason to draw a contrast there. I think the "instantly familiar" comment is silly and unfair.

That's Hume though.

I think his point - clumsy as it may be - is that flashy buildings garner a lot of attention, while trees don't.

Foot of Yonge

^Thanks for posting the presentation. I had forgotten about the purchase of the Foot of Yonge Street by the TWRC. As well, it looks like the design competition for the new Sherborne Park will be announced soon. Two very concrete actions on the eastern waterfront that will be just the tip of the iceberg.

Re: Foot of Yonge

Thanks for posting the PDF of that presentation. I wanted to go back to confirm what I had read about the 2 phases of implementation of the central waterfront plan:

Central Waterfront Master Plan
Phase 1 work includes design and construction of Queens Quay from Spadina to York/Bay & one Head of Slip

• Feasibility Study
• Environmental Assessment
• Schematic design, detailed design and construction tender

Phase 2 work includes water’s edge design and construction

... just as I thought. Phase 1 is for 2006/2007 while phase 2 is allocated to 2008/2009. This fits in with David Miller's promise to have the current waterfront plans complete by the time he finished his second term as mayor.

Re: Foot of Yonge

^ Anyone that gave him a vote based on that promise didn't do any homework. The TWRC is driving the plans forward and it probably matters very little who the mayor is at this point. If anything the last minute Miller / TEDCO / Jack Diamond discussion slowed progress.

perhaps my expectations were amiss. very little new information. in fact, the dtah/west8 presentation just went over stuff that the jury had rejected already. weird.

big crowd though.

why can't we have anything like this?

800px-Amsterdam_Canals_-_July_2006.jpg

Back