FirstTimeCondoBuyer

You should be able to get a bank draft from PC Financial that you can pick up at a CIBC, since they're sister companies.

Call PC Financial and tell them your situation and that you need it urgently, ask them to send instructions to a CIBC branch near you for you to pick up.

Hopefully they can do this for you in enough time.

That's pretty ridiculous of them being unable to answer these questions and give you such a tight deadline. Are you receiving your keys on Monday? Were they able to tell you what would happen if you can't meet this deadline? You should try and contact your lawyer see what he suggests, try and give him/her a call.

Good luck!

Hi FTCB,

Sorry to hear the last minute notice. =( I too had a similar situation but fortunately had a week to rush my tush. =p It's like why couldn't they notify you earlier? Don't they know that it takes time to transfer and then pick up the certified chq/bank draft? sheesh. Sometimes ppl can be inconsiderate.

The process to transfer funds from PC banking to CIBC takes about 1-2 business days. It took me 1 day to get the transfer completed but you need to pay a service fee $26.50 which will be withdrawn from your PC account. Then you need to goto the assigned CIBC branch and pick up your certified cheque or a bank draft. I hope you got it solved and received your keys safely.

---

As for the lockers, when I picked up my keys the customer care person didn't realize that i had one but later found out that i got one. =) yeay. (Then I was scratching my head -- where was my confirmation letter or call? Obviously someone is behind with their duties. The sales office does know something about the lockers but why act so clueless? argh) I checked the lockers, which is either located on 2nd/3rd floor and saw there's 2 different sizes. The one FTCB was mentioning with the door being 4-5ft tall, is actually 6ft tall, and there's another locker door size where it's around 7~7' 5" ft tall. I'm not too sure about pricing yet but you need to speak with the sales office for payment details. There's alot of lockers... so I'm hoping for those who are the waiting list gets one.

4 hour time slots does suck b/c like irene had mentioned, what if we need to arrange furniture shippings and just need it for 30 mins? I have some furniture that'll arrive past my scheduled move-in date so i'm only crossing fingers that the time slot is available or the person can be forgiving to share the elevator for a short time. >_<

Hey everyone!

Moved in on the 16th - 4hrs was just enough time to get the majority of things in.

There are only 2 of the 4 elevators currently in use for service.

Also, if you have extra things to move in after your 4 hours of allocated time, which of course everyone will, the best way we have found is to just do it late at night.

Currently the elevators from 7am to 5pm are used exclusively for move ins and by the trades people working on the building = if you push the elevator button during the day, you will be waiting indefinitely.

We bought our extra stuff from IKEA, etc and left it in the car parked in our spot. Then around 9pm we went down and moved the car into a spot close to the elevator in our section of the parking garage and took our stuff up in two loads - done in 10min with no issue.

Good moving to all!

congrats on the move in FTCB! and thanks for the moving tip :)
does anyone know if we are allowed to paint the walls when we move in? a friend of mine mentioned that some new condo buildings may have restrictions for the first year?

Thanks Irene!

Yes you can paint, hang pictures, shelves, etc. You are just not allowed to do any major renovation, i.e. rip out the cupboards and put in new ones, change flooring, etc.

We are painting this weekend as well - only one wall in the living room, kitchen and bathroom. We are leaving the den and bedroom as is because the off white goes very well with our dark furniture.

One other suggestion, buy a screw in weather strip for the bottom of your door and self-adhesive weather stripping for the sides/top. You can get them at Home Depot for about $10 each.

The air going from your unit to the hall and vise versa creates an incredibly loud, high pitched noise that doesn't go away unless you close up your windows and even then, is still audible. With the weather striping its all gone - plus it will keep the dust from the unfinished hallways out.

Cheers!

Hi All,

Congratulations on the move in First Time Condo Buyer! Did you get your locker? How did that situation work out? And thanks for the tips with the weatherstripping!

Just a note, you can download coupons and use them at stores to get a few dollars off here and there for
weatherstripping items, powerbars with timers/smart power bars and light bulbs too.

https://www.saveonenergy.ca/Consumer/Programs/Instant-Rebates/Downloadable-COUPONS.aspx

Cheers!

thanks for the info!!!! and the coupons :) i will definitely look into the strips.
PDI this friday...can hardly wait!

hi everyone!!!
PDI went very well, there were only minor fixes and touchups that need to be done.
overall, the unit surpassed my expectations which was great!!

i wanted to let everyone know how the booking of the elevators worked. you basically get a form to fill out where you specify the date you wish to book, and the time slot. you need to provide them with a $200 refundable security deposit, this is to ensure you do not damage the elevators. which i don't think will be a big issue since the elevators i used during the PDI was still a work-in-process with base boards around everything. my occupancy is not until april 4th but i was able to bring in my form today to the security office, and they had a list of all availability for north and south towers. i did not get my original choice but was able to get another day that works just fine. and great news for those who don't believe they can move everything in at once, or have all delivery arranged for one day....you can rebook the elevator again, and they can keep your deposit cheque until you are done :) i asked the nice security man how many times you can re-book and he said as many, as available. he even gave me an extra form, just in case.

Irene, thanks for the info!
Just a question, which flloor are you on? I'm just wondering because I want to see how far along the move in has gotten now, thus when I can expect to get in! thanks

no problem! i am on the 19th floor in the south tower. my PDI guy said they should have everyone in no later than end of june..fingers crossed for you!

That's not bad...19th floor already, and I think people have only been moving in for a month and a bit?...assuming they going bottom to top, they're more than halfway done! I really hoped to move in during may, but I'm not sure that's happening...ah well :p...as long as I'm in for the summer! Can't wait!

Hey ccckan, thanks for the info. Yes, the buillder claiming "confirmed closing" which acutally means "confirmed occupancy" is very misleading. Hopefully my lender will have no problems extending my rate. I found a video of somebody suite in this building. This is not mine, but i found it on youtube and hopefully they don't mind me posting it here. From the video, everything looks decent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWUCgtxcWA0

checked the video, i agree with the unit looking decent

My client took occupancy of his 3rd floor loft called the Q2K05 and we realized that the layout was supposed to have sliding doors from the master bedroom and all we have is is a window. Also the exposed everything (leaves much to be desired), His schedule says exposed ceilings and floors but no exposed walls. We amended that agreement to include laminate floors but they should have drywalled the walls. Here is the link to the pictures I took at the PDI.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118110901104327364213/38JoeShusterWay327#

I listed it on MLS for my client and rented it right away for $1325 plus hydro and hvac rental. HVAC rental is $54.24 a month, first time I am seeing this charge on a condo building. Seen it for townhouses, but for a condo? really!!???

Does anyone else have the Q2K05 unit (500 sq ft facing north), would like to know if you have a window or actual sliding doors to your balcony from the master bedroom.

Back