8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

From a post-holiday memory:

-lead paint concerns
-undetermined structural integrity

But the old one simply would not work with the dimensions required for the new span, even if modified and due to the underlying concerns above.

My guess is they will use the old gate, but will need expertise and materials from China to modify it for the new street width.

My guess is they will use the old gate, but will need expertise and materials from China to modify it for the new street width.
I heard a new gate will be constructed in conjunction with Harbin to span 97 Street across from Canada Place where the mounting infrastructure is already in place with the new streetscaping work there. I'd like to see the old gate installed somewhere in Chinatown north, like on 106 Avenue or a road with simliar dimensions to 102 Avenue, but that is pending it's structural integrity of course.

new-harbin-gate-1-6223865-1673310540155.png

new-harbin-gate-1-6223860-1673310510135.png

It would be nice if some of Chinatown would reestablish in this general area north east of the new gate location
They’re still there - Double Greeting, New Tan Tan, Chinese Benevolent Society, United Supermarket, Chinese United Church, Edmonton Chinatown Multicultural Centre, Chinatown Care Centre, Chinatown Elders’ Mansion, Chinatown Chinese Library, Chinese Seniors Lodge, Toi Shan Society…

Oh I know of those, I think I'm referring to some of the empty lots in the area that need to be filled, especially between the old farmers market building and the old salvation army building. Lower to medium rise buildings mixed use buildings would be really nice there I think.

New gate looks nice.... sure would like to see a breakdown of how it ends up costing the city $6 million though...

New gate looks nice.... sure would like to see a breakdown of how it ends up costing the city $6 million though...
Simple
$1m to build and install
$5m for external consultants to plan, review, supervise, audit, and report

Back