News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Not only is it generic and ugly but it's a massive wall of grey, in a city that does NOT need any more grey! Stop the insanity!

Last edited:

This is happening late; if it's happening at all. It was supposed to happen this year and the year is almost over. The blogto article links to a 20 month old Cressy announcement.

Work crews have in the past month dug up the sidewalks on both sides of Huron in the general area of this future public square... installed something, and backfilled the digging with gravel - not redoing the sidewalk. So just maybe this is the beginning of the project.

A few years ago, the annual Chinatown Festival was held on Dundas between Beverley and Spadina. And the area of Huron where this future Square is to go in was taken over for a stage and seating. So, psycho-geographically it's perfectly situated and needed. Even tho' the Festival has moved to the southbound lanes of Spadina; this future square will have myriad benefits; one being a clean well designed place to meet or rest.

The closest thing to a 'Square' right now is the very grim plaza in front of Chinatown Centre. And don't get me going about the food court in the basement of this place.

This is happening late; if it's happening at all. It was supposed to happen this year and the year is almost over. The blogto article links to a 20 month old Cressy announcement.

Work crews have in the past month dug up the sidewalks on both sides of Huron in the general area of this future public square... installed something, and backfilled the digging with gravel - not redoing the sidewalk. So just maybe this is the beginning of the project.

A few years ago, the annual Chinatown Festival was held on Dundas between Beverley and Spadina. And the area of Huron where this future Square is to go in was taken over for a stage and seating. So, psycho-geographically it's perfectly situated and needed. Even tho' the Festival has moved to the southbound lanes of Spadina; this future square will have myriad benefits; one being a clean well designed place to meet or rest.

The closest thing to a 'Square' right now is the very grim plaza in front of Chinatown Centre. And don't get me going about the food court in the basement of this place.

Good call out. I got duped into reading what turns out to be pretty old news.

Good call out. I got duped into reading what turns out to be pretty old news.

No problem. :) This needed to be brought up anyways. When I travelled on business I'd always detour to see other cities Chinatowns. Toronto's downtown Chinatowns - both of them - aren't alone among North American Chinatowns in not having a square or park. I suppose Grange Park could be metaphorically taken in possession as Chinatown's de-facto park but it's hidden from line of sight when one is standing on Dundas or Spadina.

Let's hope something happens.

No problem. :) This needed to be brought up anyways. When I travelled on business I'd always detour to see other cities Chinatowns. Toronto's downtown Chinatowns - both of them - aren't alone among North American Chinatowns in not having a square or park. I suppose Grange Park could be metaphorically taken in possession as Chinatown's de-facto park but it's hidden from line of sight when one is standing on Dundas or Spadina.

Let's hope something happens.

I also try to make a similar effort to check different Chinatowns when visiting other North American cities. I quite like Montreal's for the pedestrian only street along De la Gauchetiere. Portland was pleasantly surprising for the Lan Su Chinese Garden, which I initially did not expect for a city with a smaller Chinese population.

New York City of course is a pretty interesting experience. Although, admittedly I'm starting to enjoy the one in Flushing, Queens more than the older one in Manhattan. My cousins live in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn so I'm quite familiar with that one too.

Last edited:
It turns out that blogto and AlbertC are correct. Work has started on Huron street.

Picture from today.

Yay. :)

I hope the grocery store on the left/west side doesn't foul the place up. They have a habit of pushing all their produce out onto the sidewalk.

PB160065.JPG

Attachments

• PB160065.JPG
    PB160065.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 676
Since this is the Chinatown thread - a cheap Chinese eats review. Wifey is shopping and messages me this afternoon:

'I've been reading 'Yelp'.' Let's try out 'Noodle King' in the basement food court of the Sheraton Hotel on Queen West.'

'Where?', I ask, 'that's a food court for the daytime office crowd.'

Anyways, she meets me before the place closes at 6:30pm. I got my ngow nam mein fix. $9.75. Or was it $8.75? And all the sriracha you can use. Good, cheap and plentiful. Will be back.

PB240064 (2).JPG

Attachments

• PB240064 (2).JPG
    PB240064 (2).JPG
    176 KB · Views: 611

Back