News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The key will be to focus on the younger generation, eg, the students in the neighbourhood. I'm curious as to how things will start to shift. For example, Taiwanese places have been popping up in the Yonge-Wellesley area, followed by mainland Chinese noodles places.

The day of authentic Chinese coming out of dingy places is dying, especially as the affluent younger generation come in. There's a video series that started covering this that seems interesting,

The Hsin Kuang Building goes from "cursed" to soulless:

0S6A0908 - Copy.JPG
0S6A0951 - Copy.JPG
0S6A0953 - Copy.JPG

Good article about the former Chinatown restaurant, Kom Jug Yuen:

Kom Jug: Remembering a Chinatown Institution

"Kom Jug was a big part of late nights in my twenties. Open until 4 a.m., it was my first stop after last call and it was always an experience. "

Thanks for posting that - I have never ate at Kom Jug Yuen but have done so at Yip's - didn't realize the backstory!

AoD

‘It’s a place where you connect with your culture': Toronto's Chinatown has become more mixed in its demographics and businesses than ever before

By Nicholas Keung Immigration Reporter
Sun., Aug. 25, 2019

What the closing of Furama bakery means for Chinatown

Community members reflect on the local landmark as a beacon in a changing neighbourhood

Sep 29, 2020

A couple articles on the Tap Phong kitchen accessories and housewares store at 360 Spadina Ave:

Last edited:
"Hong Kong Island Dim Sum House (and Bakery)" is opening up at 248 Spadina Ave, the former location of where Furama Bakery used to be. The HK place was originally further up on Spadina near St. Andrew St, and then moved to a unit on Dundas just east of Spadina around March of this year, before making the latest move now.

Last edited:
Article on the former Yung Sing bakery on Baldwin Street that closed over a decade ago:

Didn't realize they published a cookbook - would love to pick up a copy. It's so odd that the place is still abandoned as is -guess the family still don't know what to do with the property?

AoD

Didn't realize they published a cookbook - would love to pick up a copy. It's so odd that the place is still abandoned as is -guess the family still don't know what to do with the property?

AoD

Strange indeed, especially the retail unit is located in a pretty popular street for eateries especially with students. So there should be demand for buying or leasing it.

This article from 2018 does give some info on possible reasons:

There are rumours being passed around neighbours that a siblings' feud is what's causing the store's stagnant state, but members of the Ko family – who own Yung Sing's building as well as a number of residential properties in the area – remain elusive.

Next-door establishments claim that renovations are still on the horizon for the abandoned lot, with intentions of eventually renting out the coveted space to a new business.

When – and if – that happens has yet to be seen: at this point the only thing we can bet on is that Yung Sing's pastries are a thing of the past.

Strange indeed, especially the retail unit is located in a pretty popular street for eateries especially with students. So there should be demand for buying or leasing it.

This article from 2018 does give some info on possible reasons:

Yeah, I remember seeing the son (??) of the proprietors behind the counter years ago - I think he was a U of T student at the time. Guess they unsurprisingly couldn't find anyone in the family to adopt the business.

AoD

Back