News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Older article but pertinent about the comments earlier on suburban Chinese restaurants:

Where Toronto’s Chowhound King, who’s been to over 100 Michelin-starred restaurants, eats in Markham and Richmond Hill

We're going on the road with some of the city's top chefs and restaurateurs to explore their favourite suburban restaurants. Charles Yu tells us what's good along Highway 7

BY SURESH DOSS

Last edited:
As someone who grew up occasionally enjoying Canadian-Chinese food, I still get cravings for that style, but it seems harder and harder to find a good place that still offers it. Is there anything remaining downtown along those lines? Think Lichee Garden in the 70's/80's for reference.

I'm always kind of disappointed when I wind up eating authentic Chinese.

With all the Chinese restaurants in Toronto and the GTA featuring a variety of authentic regional cooking styles, it's really not common to find a "Canadian-Chinese" style restaurant that serves items like Chicken Balls in red sauce, Tai Dop Voy, Chop Suey, Moo Goo Gai Pan etc. Downtown, there's a place called Peking Express on Parliament that seems to have a lot of those types of items, though contrary to their name, they also serve various Thai and Szechuan dishes, rather than Peking/Beijing cuisine. I have never eaten there personally, so I have no idea if it will meet your expectations. If you're really craving it, you might be better off exploring smaller towns around the province that still have the one "Chinese" restaurant.

If you want to find out more about the evolution of Chinese food around the world, check out an interesting documentary series called "Chinese Restaurants". There is an episode specifically about Canada and Canadian-Chinese cuisine:
http://www.chineserestaurants.tv/index.php/2016/01/17/canada/

Re: Canadian-Chinese food

After passing by the area earlier today, I realized for the first time that House of Chan has reopened at a new location along Eglinton. They're now at 514 Eglinton Ave W, which is about half way between Avenue Rd and Spadina Rd.

Their exterior signage has been simplified to only display "Chan" now:

Last edited:
Most 'Canadian' Chinese food, meaning the bastardized stuff that's been watered down for a British palate, is regrettable and dull.

I'm much more likely to go for authentic, particularly Szechuan as I enjoy some kick in my food.

That said, once in a while, I still like, at least the idea of good Chicken Balls. Not keen on the typical sweet n' sour sauce which I find too cloying.

But simply a good piece of chicken, in a slim amount of high-quality batter, deep fried and salted right when it comes out of the fire can be a yummy snack, once every 2 years.

However, my old favourite place for this closed; and I must confess most places offering of this is intolerable as its 40-80% breading/battering with a tiny piece of chicken at the centre.

The ratio is all wrong and the product is only fit for feeding squirrels........squirrels w/bad palates, that you're not particularly keen on............. LOL

Being in the perspective of a person from Chinese-Canadian background, I'm not a fan of all items in this sub-genre of the cuisine. But I will admit that I enjoy a good Cantonese Chow Mein though, especially the crispiness of the fried noodles as it gets mixed with the stir-fry sauce. Egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce as well.

However, my old favourite place for this closed; and I must confess most places offering of this is intolerable as its 40-80% breading/battering with a tiny piece of chicken at the centre.

The ratio is all wrong and the product is only fit for feeding squirrels........squirrels w/bad palates, that you're not particularly keen on............. LOL

Though honestly it is breading that is tasty (though not the ones for chicken balls). Agree with wanting a kick (or in general more flavourful) subtypes of Chinese food. I find it interesting that I actually couldn't handle authentic mainland Chinese Szechuan - not so much the spice level, but the prevalence of offals.

Egg rolls with sweet and sour sauce as well.

I absolutely do not "get" the appeal of egg rolls at all - the bready (vs. crispy) wrapper was one of the biggest culinary disappointments I've ever had.

AoD

I absolutely do not "get" the appeal of egg rolls at all - the bready (vs. crispy) wrapper was one of the biggest culinary disappointments I've ever had.

AoD

I dunno, guess it brings back nostalgic childhood memories when my uncle in Gatineau used to operate a restaurant.

The sauce is a must and pretty much makes the experience.

It's an alright snack food or something to go with a drink, I'd put it along the lines of fries, onion rings or calamari.

I dunno, guess it brings back nostalgic childhood memories when my uncle in Gatineau used to operate a restaurant.

The sauce is a must and pretty much makes the experience.

It's an alright snack food or something to go with a drink, I'd put it along the lines of fries, onion rings or calamari.

I haven’t had one for ages - perhaps it is time to try it again. To me egg roll always felt more like a Chinese patty (or pasty?) than it’s’ spiritual origin spring rolls.

AoD

Though honestly it is breading that is tasty (though not the ones for chicken balls). Agree with wanting a kick (or in general more flavourful) subtypes of Chinese food. I find it interesting that I actually couldn't handle authentic mainland Chinese Szechuan - not so much the spice level, but the prevalence of offals.
AoD

I tend to like my batter to be batter as opposed to breading; so something closer to tempura-style, very light and crispy, where what's inside is the star of the show.

As for Szechuan, I haven't been to mainland China; my experience w/that here has not involved undue amounts of offal.

I haven’t had one for ages - perhaps it is time to try it again. To me egg roll always felt more like a Chinese patty (or pasty?) than it’s’ spiritual origin spring rolls.

AoD

Yea like I wouldn't go out of my way to necessarily go to a place and order an egg roll. Most likely if I was at a buffet, I might grab a couple at most. The key is for the fried bready wrapper to not be too thick.

On the topic of Szechuan food, I'm not really an avid goer. But a couple years ago I had a friend who was from China and we had this dish called Mao Xue Wang. The offals were okay, but the spice level that builds up after going through all that pretty much destroyed me at the end.

Yea like I wouldn't go out of my way to necessarily go to a place and order an egg roll. Most likely if I was at a buffet, I might grab a couple at most. The key is for the fried bready wrapper to not be too thick.

On the topic of Szechuan food, I'm not really an avid goer. But a couple years ago I had a friend who was from China and we had this dish called Mao Xue Wang. The offals were okay, but the spice level that builds up after going through all that pretty much destroyed me at the end.

Yeah, duck's blood (or blood in general) is common ?. There is also hot sliced kidneys, husband and wife lung pieces, etc. No bloody thanks - I am rather North American when it comes to that stuff.

AoD

I've found that the "Lobster Tower" concept to be gaining more coverage and notice in recent years. And it seems to be recognized as Toronto item too. It was featured on an episode of David Chang's "Ugly Delicious" show on Netflix at the Fishman Lobster Clubhouse Restaurant in Scarborough (Youtube clip below).

Had a cousin from New York visit in the summer and was told from a friend that was a place to check out. Such a thing apparently isn't found in NY or most places in the States. Personally, I found it a bit over the top. Although it tasted good, the portions and presentation was just excessive IMO.

I recently visited the Hutaoli restaurant in Markham, which was kind of neat. Food, drinks, and live music. Although not something I'd be typically into. I don't even speak Mandarin lol. But overall an interesting experience featuring more northern Chinese style cuisine.

I've found that the "Lobster Tower" concept to be gaining more coverage and notice in recent years. And it seems to be recognized as Toronto item too. It was featured on an episode of David Chang's "Ugly Delicious" show on Netflix at the Fishman Lobster Clubhouse Restaurant in Scarborough (Youtube clip below).

Had a cousin from New York visit in the summer and was told from a friend that was a place to check out. Such a thing apparently isn't found in NY or most places in the States. Personally, I found it a bit over the top. Although it tasted good, the portions and presentation was just excessive IMO.

I recently visited the Hutaoli restaurant in Markham, which was kind of neat. Food, drinks, and live music. Although not something I'd be typically into. I don't even speak Mandarin lol. But overall an interesting experience featuring more northern Chinese style cuisine.

That is really excessive - but excess is nothing new to (HK) Chinese banquet-styled cuisine. I am still trying to find a good Shanghainese place - but few if any places in GTA is up to par. A-La in Markham is supposed to be good, but I wasn't impressed.

AoD

That is really excessive - but excess is nothing new to (HK) Chinese banquet-styled cuisine. I am still trying to find a good Shanghainese place - but few if any places in GTA is up to par. A-La in Markham is supposed to be good, but I wasn't impressed.

AoD

Admittedly, Shanghainese cuisine is something I haven't had much exposure to. I'm mainly a classic Cantonese goer, and occasionally dabble in Hakka, Teochew or Lanzhou style hand pulled noodles.

The main places that come to mind (although I haven't tried) are Shanghai Shikumen Restaurant on Dundas just west of Spadina, and Ding Tai Fung in Markham. Although for the latter, I get confused about the whole whether it's part of the real chain or not debacle.

Admittedly, Shanghainese cuisine is something I haven't had much exposure to. I'm mainly a classic Cantonese goer, and occasionally dabble in Hakka, Teochew or Lanzhou style hand pulled noodles.

The main places that come to mind (although I haven't tried) are Shanghai Shikumen Restaurant on Dundas just west of Spadina, and Ding Tai Fung in Markham. Although for the latter, I get confused about the whole whether it's part of the real chain or not debacle.

The Ding Tai Fung in Markham is a knockoff - it is not part of the chain from Taiwan.

AoD

Back