News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Does 'The Goof' serve decent food now?

When I was a kid is that the typical and bad 'Canadian Chinese' food.

Bad egg rolls, terrible plum sauce, flavourless fried rice, and the most evil among such foods, Chop Suey! As a child I detested the dish that was clearly created to subsidized bean sprout farmers!

Good question. From my understanding, ownership changed hands in the 90's and again in the recent decade or so. At the end of the day, it's still Chinese Canadian fare to appeal to the local regulars, so items like Onion rings and Egg Foo Young type stuff is still on the menu. But the current ownership group is of recent immigration and should bring a more bridged Cantonese cuisine palate.

One of my favourite go-to spots since I work a 5 minute walk from there. I really do miss their masala chicken dish however (vanished during covid when they reduced their menu due to staffing complications...)

Not that my current company is that far away, but back at my previous job at Bay & Dundas, Yueh Tung was a lunch takeout favourite for the office. People would order from it together once a week, in a rotation along with other nearby joints like Salad King, etc.

Last edited:
Not that my current companyce is that far away, but back at my previous job at Bay & Dundas, Yueh Tung was a lunch takeout favourite for the office. People would order from it together once a week, in a rotation along with other nearby joints like Salad King, etc.
Wow. Glad to see they are still going. My first job in Toronto was in an office tower at Bay and Queen in 2005, and back then Yueh Tung was the go-to place for many to get takeout on Fridays, though it was shared only in a whisper to help avoid even more people showing up to the already long lines at lunch hour. Great to see they are still going 19 years later!

There was another Hakka restaurant with a potent chili chicken on Dundas Street west of Bay, I think called Spadina Garden, but they sold out and shut down before the pandemic. Good timing on their part, I guess.

Last edited:
One of my favourite go-to spots since I work a 5 minute walk from there. I really do miss their masala chicken dish however (vanished during covid when they reduced their menu due to staffing complications...)

Maybe you should tell them that. They might bring it back.

Back