News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

what? i think everyone can make their own decisions, no? what you're theorizing is kind of ridiculous...I choose to live downtown and not drive for errands. Although PT is sometimes a bitch, I use it pretty often. Yep, sure there is a lobby, but there is no conspiracy where people are being forced to use cars.

Actually, I called it a confluence of forces rather than a conspiracy. Having said that, there are facets of the car lobby that are conspiratorial, such as negotiating emissions standards by both oil producers and automakers.

As for "everyone making their own decisions", I think you're wrong. The goal of any lobby is to limit the range of possible choices to suit a particular interest group. As a result of the car lobby, the range of transit choices has been limited. So, to get from Pickering to Vaughan, I can "decide" to drive or "decide" not to go at all.

^ Totally agree. Personal choice isn't what decides what kind of transportation infrastructure exists. It's a political decision. Individuals can't decide to take trains where there are no tracks, it takes a political decision to invest in rail as opposed to highways.

so before you blame it on crowding go to another city and realize its everywhere, deal with it, its apart of life in any big city.

Crowding may be 'everywhere' and is a part of your life in any big city - but it's not so much a part of mine. If people have the means to rise above the nuisance of public transit (and I really do find it a nuisance at times) than they ought to be able to.

I disagree with banning cars because of issues like sustainability or emissions. Both issues can be dealt with (and need to be dealt with) separately from personal vehicle ownership and use.

Live downtown and got rid of the car a long time ago. And it is something or a relief (particularly on the wallet).

Then again, there are times where the convenience of a car has its big pluses. No doubt about that. Many times, that problem can be solved with by way of the various rental or car share options now out there.

Overall, public transit is good in this city. But it is crowded and the service needs to be improved for those crowds - many of whom made a choice to use it rather than a car. While I don't believe that automobile use would be reduced in a significant way through improvements to transit, I have no doubt that more people will choose transit far more readily and far more often.

It's obvious that we as a society need to change our myths let alone our values. That's unlikely to happen anytime soon, though we did pull it off with smoking.

What will be required is something even more punishing than gridlock, no matter how bad it grows.
The answer will include a program of road tolls, vehicular taxes, registration fees, parking restrictions and higher fuel prices.

- Christopher Hume

The sword of Damocles, or shall we say the pen of Hume, hangs over our head.

The message I have entered is too short. Therefore please ignore this line.

I will not ignore that line. The point of the rules is that you are supposed to have something to add in order to post. Rather than go to a news website, CTRL+C, go to urbantoronto.ca, CTRL+V, and click Post, add something to your post like your thoughts on the topic. If you have no thoughts of the topic then don't post it.

I will not ignore that line. The point of the rules is that you are supposed to have something to add in order to post. Rather than go to a news website, CTRL+C, go to urbantoronto.ca, CTRL+V, and click Post, add something to your post like your thoughts on the topic. If you have no thoughts of the topic then don't post it.

Well excuuuuse me. The point of not adding content is to prevent BLANK POST SPAMS not to "add content".

In general when copying and pasting an outside topic to a messageboard the first post is ALWAYS the article and little else. You keep your opinion for another post in order to simplify the read. I suggest you go to more messageboards and see what the general rules are around before shooting your mouth. :mad:

The point of the rules is that you are supposed to have something to add in order to post.
That's never been a rule of this forum (although has caused some discussion in the past about whether it should be).

I'm a mod and I frequently post articles in various sections without adding my thoughts. I'll usually add some thoughts later when the discussion gets going.

Ideally though, yes, it's probably best if you add your thoughts when posting an article, but I don't think rpgr should be given a hard time for something that isn't even an official rule.

In general when copying and pasting an outside topic to a messageboard the first post is ALWAYS the article and little else. You keep your opinion for another post in order to simplify the read. I suggest you go to more messageboards and see what the general rules are around before shooting your mouth. :mad:

I prefer this idea. Sometimes I want to post things to the forum without first commenting on them (so that I don't inadvertently lead the convo in a direction). Sorry, off-topic I know - but I wanted to lend my support!

A Volkswagon GTi vs TTC? Please the four-wheeled Kraut-rocket wins hands down! If I ever get my license again, I'm going straight for a V12 Vantage! No more smelly TTC for me

yeah, they're peppy. on weekends, when the DVP isn't blocked...like at 7 a.m., ain't nuthin' like a spin downtown around those banked corners.
as for a V12 vantage...i doubt i'll ever drive through paris in that sports car with the warm wind in my haaaair.
as for crowding, it's relative. of course it's not india! by third world, i mean this: how many other places in YOUR life are you herded around like cattle and jammed up against your fellow man...woman...and other.
me? none.
hume is just not allowing himself to understand why people drive. it's willful ignorance. he'd rather spout phallic power-symbol blither blather.

yeah, they're peppy. on weekends, when the DVP isn't blocked...like at 7 a.m., ain't nuthin' like a spin downtown around those banked corners.

When there's no traffic, southbound on the DVP from the 401 to the Gardiner 'till about Jarvis is God's own highway circuit. SUPER fun!

I've often thought that a route from the 401, down the DVP, onto the Gardiner, through town (no idea how), then down Rosedale Valley and back up the DVP would be a great route for a video game. Driving along the Gardiner at night is possibly one of the better night drives in North America, IMHO.

I've often thought that a route from the 401, down the DVP, onto the Gardiner, through town (no idea how), then down Rosedale Valley and back up the DVP would be a great route for a video game. Driving along the Gardiner at night is possibly one of the better night drives in North America, IMHO.

DVP Southbound --> Gardiner Westbound --> OFF at DUNN --> LEFT on Springhurst --> LEFT on Jameson --> VEER LEFT on Lake Shore --> VEER LEFT onto British Columbia --> RIGHT on Saskatchewan -->VEER LEFT onto Princes' --> LEFT on Canada --> THROUGH to Fleet --> LEFT on Fort York (you used to be able to sidetrack up Garrison) --> LEFT on Bathurst --> RIGHT on Dundas --> LEFT on Augusta :D --> RIGHT on College --> LEFT on King's College --> VEER RIGHT on King's College Circle --> RIGHT on Hart House --> VEER RIGHT onto Wellesley (under the bridge) --> LEFT on St. Nicholas Street --> LEFT on Charles --> RIGHT on Bay --> LEFT on Davenport --> RIGHT on Belmont --> THROUGH to Rosedale Valley Rd. --> LEFT on Bayview --> VEER RIGHT onto DVP ramp --> VEER LEFT DVP Northbound

Back