News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

This is the worst from 1980. It would look modern and relevant in Markham. Maybe they installed it in the wrong place?

The confidential, top-secret, super-secret removal and repair of the gateway markers isn't taking "hours" as announced by the CW BIA, they've been gone for well over a week now. Presumably they'll be back in place for April 14th in time for the official unveiling.
The removal of the "cowboy" mural/ad on the south side of the former Barn nightclub is leading to what sounds like an interesting community project that should start in early May - http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/The_return_of_the_gay_cowboys-13349.aspx

They're back!

cwmarkers2.jpg

They're back!

I was by about an hour ago to go to Loblaws and when I saw it I thought, oh man, I just wrote about them being missing for over a week on UT!
I really wish The Barn could have got back on it's feet as a dance club again, once Fly and Zipperz close I think that's it for dance clubs in the Village.

I really wish The Barn could have got back on it's feet as a dance club again, once Fly and Zipperz close I think that's it for dance clubs in the Village.

I've been lamenting this sad fact as well. There will literally be no dance club in the Village. Montreal's Village is so amazing in comparison. I wish there'd be a venue like Sky Bar in Montreal -- large, multi-use, open all hours of the day, an amazing rooftop patio, and also a great place to dance.

I just walked past The Eagle on the way home from work. The entire ground floor has been gutted. Does anyone know what happening?

It's as though the gay village, indeed the very notion of a gay village, is disappearing before our eyes. Interesting to know that this is not the case in Montreal.

Church St was never designated as a club area, meaning that 'dance clubs' were not allowed to open. Bars with dance areas could open, however. I am not at all sure what the zoning issues are or anything but I do not there was mention of it a few years ago. Kyle Rae at the time said if gays want to dance they can go to the entertainment district. It was at that point I lost my respect for him: send gays to the then notoriously violent straight club scene. Uh-uh. Sure. I am not sure what the rules are now.

Sounds like the makings of a gay 'Footloose' movie. Gays denied the right to dance to campy anthems!!

Church St was never designated as a club area, meaning that 'dance clubs' were not allowed to open. Bars with dance areas could open, however. I am not at all sure what the zoning issues are or anything but I do not there was mention of it a few years ago. Kyle Rae at the time said if gays want to dance they can go to the entertainment district. It was at that point I lost my respect for him: send gays to the then notoriously violent straight club scene. Uh-uh. Sure. I am not sure what the rules are now.

At most, I think it's just a matter of putting a motion before Council for a dance club license to get them approved. KWT supports dance clubs in the Village and patios (versus K Rae who did not) the problem is finding a space for a dance club. I seemed to recall a Ward 27 newsletter, Staff Report or something indicating that the developer of the Gloucester St. project where Fly is had to work with the Fly owners to help locate a similar dance space in the area as part of the deal because KWT was cognisant of the few dwindling dance spaces in the village. There's a strip club (an adult entertainment venue) in the village now which I think they slid under the rules by making it membership only. I remembered that there's still Buddy's on weekends for dancing, and of course Fly & Zipperz until they close.

There's also dancing on the weekends at Crews, Byzantium, Church on Church, and even sometimes at Smith. While none of these venues are like Fly or the Barn, there are still places with DJs and dancing.

Back