News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

"kill the Vibe"... of the Pizza Pizza building? not to be rude but i think that would be OK. I would like to see it saved, and for the vibe to change a LOT.

I agree that Pizza Pizza doesn't give the street much of a vibe, but with a 60 floor condo above this intersection replacing it, the vibe will be ruined by all the whiners living above the intersection complaining about the noise etc...

The " vibe " up there is about drug dealers and crazy people. Bring on the mega condo. If there was ever a place that could use a " vibe " change, it would be that corner!

The " vibe " up there is about drug dealers and crazy people. Bring on the mega condo. If there was ever a place that could use a " vibe " change, it would be that corner!

I'm 100% fine with a condo on that corner. We're already getting one across the street on Wellesley too. This corner needs a major life, and a well built condo with a good base can do that. I really hope the BIA is strict about it though. A good base will be so so so important.

Does that base include a Starbucks, dry cleaner, Rabba, or nail salon?

Exactly. If a condo does go there, the base will not be street friendly and will not add anything to the area. I guarantee it. The only thing I want to see there are more shops, restaurants and pubs. An office building would be great too as it would increase pedestrian traffic and the businesses would benefit from the lunch crowd. The plus side of an office building is that they are usually done about 5 or 6 so there won't be any noise complaints! Lol. But, I'm sure the rent of the office would be too high to seduce investors and businesses. I foresee a condo, unfortunately.

I don't really understand what you guys want at the base. What else could be there other than coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc? Even if it's chain retail, it would greatly enhance the quality of life in the neighbourhood.

I don't really understand what you guys want at the base. What else could be there other than coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc? Even if it's chain retail, it would greatly enhance the quality of life in the neighbourhood.

I think perhaps, some readers wish for a Museum of the Gays ~ featuring famous historic gays fashioned in wax like Liberace, Michael Jackson, etc ~ It could feature a reproduction of " the steps ", the interior of " Woody's, " or " Spa Excess " and other cultural achievements from the past.

Perhaps the old gays are nostalgic and seem to hunger for what amounts to a gay theme park. But many young gays have moved on to the Drake, The Hen House and points far away.

One thing the Gay Liberation Movement never clearly thought about , was what would happen in the event they were rightly granted their civil rights.

Last edited:
I think perhaps, some readers wish for a Museum of the Gays ~ featuring famous historic gays fashioned in wax like Liberace, Michael Jackson, etc ~ It could feature a reproduction of " the steps ", the interior of " Woody's, " or " Spa Excess " and other cultural achievements from the past.

Perhaps the old gays are nostalgic and seem to hunger for what amounts to a gay theme park. But many young gays have moved on to the Drake, The Hen House and points far away.

One thing the Gay Liberation Movement never clearly thought about , was what would happen in the event they were rightly granted their civil rights.

You are missing the " Mystic Point". (sorry I couldn't resist)

What nobody wants, whether gay or straight, is another bank branch or Shoppers Drug mart at the base of the condo.

Great idea. Is it an app? (and yes, it is sarcasm).

AoD

There is a great independent cafe, barber shop, variety store, dollar store, sports clothing store, phone shop, middle eastern restaurant and pizza shop, no one can tell me we'd get that kind of variety of independent retailers (except Pizza Pizza) if a stupid condo went up here - and there's a bath house downstairs plus affordable apartments upstairs. If the building was restored this would be one of the great gems of Church Street. I'm no fan of Pizza Pizza, but the upside is it's open really late, does crazy business and is really bright keeping the intersection well lit and safe feeling.

Maybe it would for you but not for me. I don't go to the Village looking for toothpaste, when I can buy it closer to home. What you are basically saying is, you want to turn the Village into a street, just like every other in Toronto. Take away its unique vibe and what do you have? You have an area that is of no use to me or any gay person. Why would someone come out of their way to come here if it's exactly like the area they live in? It defeats the whole reason to have a gay village.

Does that base include a Starbucks, dry cleaner, Rabba, or nail salon?

I LOLed because I thought of the closest new condo to me, and its horrible base includes a Rabba and dry-cleaner.

With the rents that will be commanded at that spot, you will only see tenants like Tim Hortons, Starbucks, McDonalds, Shoppers etc. Rents will define Church/Wellesley, not sexuality.

Liberace and Michael Jackson were already made of wax, so it would be like seeing the real thing!

The Drake? With the rest of the straight 905-ers? Sooo 2006. Good luck to them. Lol. :) No. What we 'old gays' (which, sweetie, in the gaybourhood means over 28, so tick-tock) is not a condo filled of suburbanites moving downtown who will bitch and whine about noise on Friday and Saturday nights (the only really busy nights on Church St). A condo at a major intersection should enhance street life with shops, services, pubs, restaurants and not as mentioned above kill it with a dry-cleaner, Rabba and cash-advance place – which is more-than-likely what will end up there.

But this is all in the far distant future, when the current "young gays" will be too old and tired to haul ass to the west or east end to dance to Katy Perry and the current "old gays" will either have danced off to the great beyond or are en route to the pearly gates — fabric swatches in hand ready to redecorate.

xo

I agree that Pizza Pizza doesn't give the street much of a vibe, but with a 60 floor condo above this intersection replacing it, the vibe will be ruined by all the whiners living above the intersection complaining about the noise etc...

Exactly my point. I meant the vibe of the Village as a whole. Among other things, the Village serves as a place of fun, entertainment and nightlife. A condo will likely bring complaints about noise and late-night activity from residents (recall the Alexander Street bench issue brought up by local residents). Condos on the side streets off of Church might be fine, but to plop one right at Church/Wellesley, the hub of the Village, seems too close for comfort.

Back