News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Now this is what you call some serious fireworks. World Pride 2014 is doing a super job!

Great videos Torontovibe! We were down there, what a great night (a few too many speeches, but that's OK) - and the fireworks (a personal favorate) were spectacular. Leave it to the gays to put on the best pyrotechnic/laser show that Nathan Phillips Square has ever seen!
Walking around the Village the past couple of nights there's a great vibe, it feels different than any other year, people are happier, friendlier, more celebratory it seems. Out of town friends (both straight) & I did the Queen's Quay thing yesterday (it's a nightmare down there, 'twas a bad idea) from Sugar Beach out to Bathurst, hit Yorkville for dinner then back to the Village. When we came to Cawthra Park they were blown away by the lights (and I'd said nothing about them) so we walked through and then did Church Street. When we got back to my place they said they would like to come down next weekend for the big bash & asked if I was OK with that. They've never done Pride and walking around the area for about an hour made them want to come back and be a part of the big weekend, kind of like they were sold after walking around for a bit. The great vibe on the opening weekend is that good.

Yes, it was a great vibe in the Village this weekend. I made a video while wondering around. Anyone who wants to see video of the park, fast foreward to 8:00 where I walk through the park.[video=youtube_share;OzzOJcKoaco]http://youtu.be/OzzOJcKoaco[/video]

LESBIAN ALERT:If the sight of two young women kissing offends you, do not watch this video.

Last edited:
We all love to complain on UT and I'm no exception to that rule. When out at World Pride, I couldn't help but notice that people were constantly on their cell phone and tablets, so of course, I had to make a viseo to bitch about it.

[video=youtube_share;bug2g3FybAU]http://youtu.be/bug2g3FybAU[/video]

We all love to complain on UT and I'm no exception to that rule. When out at World Pride, I couldn't help but notice that people were constantly on their cell phone and tablets, so of course, I had to make a viseo to bitch about it.

[video=youtube_share;bug2g3FybAU]http://youtu.be/bug2g3FybAU[/video]

"Thank you!"!!!!

We were watching that show for about an hour on Cumberland after dinner, I didn't know it was Pride related.

The new park is amazing! such an improvement. And I was very pleased that there are in fact benches to sit on. Me bones can rest!

I haven't seen like ups like that for a long time and since the bars will be open til 4 am, cha-ching!!! Now the Village can have 10 days of partying to make lots of money.
Were the bars open until 04:00 though? I think they could only apply for that next weekend. Correct me if I'm wrong though (although, I believe NXNE venues could apply for this past weekend). And I really hope our next Mayor gets Council to make the whole city always 04:00 for the record.

Recall the neighbourhood agitators complaining about the clearcut?
Some people think public space only equals trees and grass. As an aside, I have a friend in Hamilton who refuses to set foot in Yonge-Dundas Square for this reason. He says it just annoys him that we didn't put trees and grass there, oblivious to the fact that it would all likely be dead with all the crowds anyway.

Last edited:
Some people just don't understand the purpose of a public square. I think the best parks offer both a trees/grass area, as well as a more urban public square for events or just as a focal point. This new park offers both, so everyone should be happy. (in theory, anyway)

Well said, both Jason and Torontovibe. Having said that, it's pretty reasonable for there to be angst whenever healthy urban trees are cut down to make way for a park redesign. The results look great (although I have yet to see it in person), but people should be forgiven the hand-wringing.

My beef with YDS isn't the lack of greenery - it is the design of the stage canopy (yuck) - a heavy handed monstrosity that looked nothing like what was orginally proposed. Ditto the lack of proper cladding on the pillars, etc.

AoD

I never expected the new park to look as great as it does. Kudos to those involved with making it happen.

Well said, both Jason and Torontovibe. Having said that, it's pretty reasonable for there to be angst whenever healthy urban trees are cut down to make way for a park redesign. The results look great (although I have yet to see it in person), but people should be forgiven the hand-wringing.

I can't recall for sure, but many (perhaps all) of the trees that were taken down were diseased or generally unhealthy anyway. Now we have new trees that will begin to mature and grow healthy over the next few years, are well located and will look beautiful. If you ever sat under the trees at the front of the park you'd come out covered with bugs/little beetles that fall from the trees all season. Following Pride the park will begin to be better programmed by the community centre and the community, and it will serve us so much better than it ever did before.

Get over there when you can Skeezix, pictures cannot capture how great it is!

Get over there when you can Skeezix, pictures cannot capture how great it is!

I will! I'm actually looking forward to it. I might make a walk out of it and also check out the new Regent Park.

many (perhaps all) of the trees that were taken down were diseased or generally unhealthy anyway

Undoubtedly. But people are attached to trees and sometimes undesirable trees simply look established, green and lush to some park users. I'm sure that the folks who voiced concerns, however, are pleased with the final result. I moved out of the area 12 years ago, so I personally don't even remember the trees in question.

Am I remembering correctly that liquor laws have been loosened up for special events so that you can drink out on the street now and that beer gardens won't be necessary this year, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Back