News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Gloucester Square Bed and Breakfast INNS (corner of Gloucester and Jarvis) has closed it's doors and up for sale

There are many buildings and businesses up for sale from Yonge to Jarvis, especially all the old Mansions along Jarvis with thier wide/long lots.

IMO it's not necessarily a reflection of a downturn of the economy, but owners looking to sell the property to developers around the dt core and/or bumping up rents substantially in what they believe will be very desirable high-traffic areas with all the new condos popping up like weeds.
(ie. UC: Uptown, Crystal Blu, Casa, BSN, X, Couture, 500 Sherbourne, JCM;
proposed: Casas 2, U, X2, 2 along Wellesley b/t Yonge/Church, 2 along Church b/t Gloucester/Alexander, Joyonge)

Gloucester Square Bed and Breakfast INNS (corner of Gloucester and Jarvis) has closed it's doors and up for sale

They also listed those two properties from September to December of 2008 then listed again about a month ago.

This has happened a number of times before with Statlers. It was blamed on a boiler issue last time, so they may come back again. But the place has terrible service as others have stated. It's always a struggle to get a drink,you have to practically beg for one. On one occasion the waiter took my $20 for two beer and disappeared for an hour. I had to plead with other staff and busboys to get him to come back to our table. It never happened. So I got up and blocked the bar entrance to get his attention at which point he finally rang in the two beer and gave me $8 change over an hour after serving the beer. This was only a few months ago. If the place has a cash flow problem it's not due to lack of business but more likely a lack of controls at the register.

So among all the doom and gloom, is there any good news in the neighbourhood these days? Somebody cheer me up please.

So among all the doom and gloom, is there any good news in the neighbourhood these days? Somebody cheer me up please.

See my posts #608 & #610 on the previous page. It's not all gloom and doom! Things are changing, and will continue to change but I'm confident the neighbourhood will adapt and survive.

well one good thing is that the main clubs/bars that are still going are for the most part going strong...

fly is very popular friday and saturday
buddies is packed on saturday nights
the barn is busy on wednesdays and saturdays are picking up
woodies is always fairly busy
play is busy most nights
zippers is packed on sundays and their saturdays have picked up
goodhandys has some strong nights during the month
i hear the eagle is well supported

byzantium,straight,slack,lola's,etc all seem to be going along nicely

if any of the above needs correcting please do so

my fear isn't apathy throughout our scene...just stability with the real estate housing all these places

other than the crazy rent increases running you out onto the street, if you're a smart business person, and your establishment is busy, you should succeed

Guu is opening at Church and Granby soon (a little outside "The Village" proper I know.)
It is a Japanese restaurant exported from Vancouver.
This place is apparently a big deal to Japanese cuisine aficionados.

Back