News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Please try yefisis. I really like that joint and want it to stick around. Not an employee or owner I assure you.

I agree. They have a $5.00 Gyro Combo (beef or chicken) which includes fries and pop. The Gyro comes on the authentic Greek pita bread - not the paper thin pita's that just about every "Mediterranean wrap" place downtown offers. Best value in the village (at least as long as the $5.00 offer is available).

There was mention of this before, but Urbanation is reporting on Twitter today a new application at 580 Church St (Fuzion/Voglie) -- existing buildings to be demolished; 25 storeys atop a 7 storey podium; 158 residential dwelling units. Ugh.

That'd be a shame. I kind of like Fuzion, and the house it's in is interesting. I wonder if they'd try to relocate the existing structure to a different part of the site

There was mention of this before, but Urbanation is reporting on Twitter today a new application at 580 Church St (Fuzion/Voglie) -- existing buildings to be demolished; 25 storeys atop a 7 storey podium; 158 residential dwelling units. Ugh.

My heart just sunk into my stomach, this is not good news.

That is disappointing. There was always a nice establishment there and I particularly like the patio at Fuzion.

Any word on which developer is behind the application for 580 Church?

I don't know who the developer is but I recall some discussion about this a while back (cant find the thread) and from what I recall the entire block from Dundonald to Gloucester is owned by one company which makes me suspect that the entire block would be demolished for this condo. This would be a crime since this is arguably the most attractive stretch of heritage buildings left standing in the Village.

It's odd timing because the owner has just invested heavily in a major renovation to whatever the replacement for the Southern Comfort Spa is called. I thought this project would be delayed a couple of years since they were spending a lot of money. But maybe a developer came forward with a good offer.

I assume this is the block we're talking about:

580church.jpg

Even for wrecking-ball friendly TO, this would be a huge blunder.

It is listed:

Address: 580 CHURCH ST

Ward: 27
List Date: Aug 18, 1976
Intention Date:
By-Law: N/A
Part IV Date:
Part V Date:
Heritage District: N/A
District Status: N/A
Heritage Easement Ag:
Registration Date:
Building Type: Residential
Architect/Builder:
Construction Yr.:
Details: Semi-detached house; 1878 at Dundonald St. (NW) -adopted by City Council on Aug. 18, 1976
Demolition Date:
Primary Address: 580 CHURCH ST

AoD

Thanks for this.

Just been in contact with our colleagues at HPS regarding designation, which will protect 580 Church.

Our biggest single issue is the incomplete Inventory of Heritage Properties. If the building was designated, the application would not be considered. We need the resources to complete the inventory and HPS doesn't have the staff to finalize the inventory, as there are now 8,000 plus heritage buildings and sites on the list. If complete, developers would have no excuse to not being aware of its status.

580 church

if this lot was a parking lot I could understand putting something up, but we are kicking out a few business's all for more condos!!

We keep building all these condos with so many more people moving into the downtown core but eliminating businesses at the same time. At what point does someone living downtown have to get a car in order to leave the downtown core in order to go out and do something like go to a restaurant or bar?

If this gets approved get ready to see all of church street eventually demolished for more condos...

How do we fight this? Is there anything an average citizen can do?

I think a condo at 580/584 is a good idea. 584 Church is not not heritage worthy in my opinion. The facade is nice, but inside it's been gutted so many times.

I don't think there are not enough condos in the village. I've been hoping Plazacorp would actually build at 46 Wellesley but since they didn't get permission to build their parking lot, they seem content to leave the lot vacant.

Back