News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ah. So you live in downtown North York now, and want to move to post-amalgamation "midtown". I can see why someone would get fatigued with that. Those areas have busy roads, a so-so pedestrian realm, and are still very expensive.

Ah, but we are not fatigued...yet ;)

But if you walk along, say, St Clair from just east of Bathurst to Yonge, and then up a few blocks, and compare it to the bombed-out section of "Beirut" that stretches on Yonge from Finch to Steeles, it is hard not to smile on parts of midtown. It has a beautiful streetscape. We are near Yonge and Sheppard, which has improved and continues to improve. But there is a geographical (and psychological) cut-off by the 401, and most of North York, quite frankly, looks like sh*t.

I guess I really don't know what city fatigue is.

I think what I was trying to describe is that moment when the crowds annoy more than enthral, when the noise of traffic, chatter, and endless construction seems to relentlessly chew on your brain rather than fade into the background, when you are hesitant to go outside because there are just too many people, too much noise, and there are too many crazy people out there just waiting to disrupt your life. When the very things that make a city exciting seem to make you depressed and afraid.

But again -- I am not feeling this. I just wonder if this is a day that will come, or has come, for anyone who has moved here from a smaller town or city.

I am a half hour walk from Yonge-Bloor but I can see nothing but green from my home office window, and while there is some traffic noise in the distance, I hear chirping birds.

I love this description :). It encapsulates what I love about our city. My friend had a condo at Bloor & Church, but the condo faced northwards, so from his large balcony all you could see is trees, nature, and the ravine with some apartment buildings poking out, even though it's walking distance from Yonge & Bloor. Very serene.

Ah, but we are not fatigued...yet ;)

But if you walk along, say, St Clair from just east of Bathurst to Yonge, and then up a few blocks, and compare it to the bombed-out section of "Beirut" that stretches on Yonge from Finch to Steeles, it is hard not to smile on parts of midtown. It has a beautiful streetscape. We are near Yonge and Sheppard, which has improved and continues to improve. But there is a geographical (and psychological) cut-off by the 401, and most of North York, quite frankly, looks like sh*t.

I agree that St Clair is great. Lots of trees, very well scaled buildings, very walkable, has character, and is close to downtown.

I think what I was trying to describe is that moment when the crowds annoy more than enthral, when the noise of traffic, chatter, and endless construction seems to relentlessly chew on your brain rather than fade into the background, when you are hesitant to go outside because there are just too many people, too much noise, and there are too many crazy people out there just waiting to disrupt your life. When the very things that make a city exciting seem to make you depressed and afraid.

Here's the thing. Crazy people are waiting to disrupt your life are everywhere. They're in small towns and villages. So are gossips who love to mind your business for you.

City or country, you rarely can control who your neighbours are (and the things they tend to do that irk you to no end). Even the toniest places parked alongside Toronto's most spectacular ravines have their turf wars and internecine squabbles. Small towns offer their own enticements but they can also be traps... much depends on what you're looking for and how honest you are with yourself in your quest for a happier, healthier lifestyle.

ExMtl:

The idea of a time-share cottage is kind of nice. That, and wouldn't it be a great idea if the residents at Ward Island can be turned into time-share/short-term rental cottages?

AoD

ExMtl:

The idea of a time-share cottage is kind of nice. That, and wouldn't it be a great idea if the residents at Ward Island can be turned into time-share/short-term rental cottages?

AoD

Not if it would mean a million tourists tromping about. I guess that, for me anyway, country means deep woods, mountains, lakes so secluded you can skinny dip. None of that between stuff. Of course, the bugs will get ya for sure.

Fellow Nova Scotian here. It's all relative. I was talking to a colleague from Mexico City today who said that she's never got the feeling of overwhelming business here in Toronto like she experiences in Mexico City. To her, it's a small place. I've been in Toronto about 8 years and I love the business.

I live downtown and find peaceful spots in the Don Valley, Cherry Beach, or Leslie St Spit. ok it's not as remote or clean as heading out to Conrad's Beach (best beach near Dartmouth, IMO) but it's relatively quiet and there are lots of beautiful, natural things happening.

When I visit Nova Scotia I get asshole fatigue. Perhaps it's not that there are more assholes there, but maybe I'm just tired of dealing with the particular brand of assholiness and ignorance that exists in NS.

It's all relative for sure. I remember coming back to Toronto after a semester going to school in Manhattan; suddenly my city felt very small and slow indeed. But then again, spend some time in any southern Ontario town where the population is a couple thousand or less and Toronto will come off feeling very speedy and active.

It's all relative for sure. I remember coming back to Toronto after a semester going to school in Manhattan; suddenly my city felt very small and slow indeed. But then again, spend some time in any southern Ontario town where the population is a couple thousand or less and Toronto will come off feeling very speedy and active.

I felt city fatigue in Manhattan, mainly because I found the constant honking of horns to be annoying.

ExMtl:

AoD

Can you afford a time-share cottage? If so, why not take occasional vacations around the region, say on long weekends. Lots of nice getaways. Variety is the best.

Last edited:
NorthYorkEd, this is a little off topic, but might be of interest to you. You mentioned that you live in the Yonge & Sheppard area -- and speaking of fatigue and looking for a place for replenishment -- might I suggest that you take your wife one evening (around twilight) to Linus Park (located off Seneca Hill Dr, west of Don Mills Rd https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Linus+Park/@43.788777,-79.358172,809m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xb0d894f55f8e9353; park at the school at the corner of Seneca Hill Dr & Don Mills Rd, if you drive)? It's a massive park with a large slope that offers incredible views of the North York skyline. It would be a really romantic, relaxing place for you and your wife to watch the sun go down and the lights of the city come alive. You'd get a much greater appreciation for where you live from the vantage point of this park. I recently went there for the first time with my brother and was really amazed. The atmosphere is really wonderful. Here are a couple of stock photos of the park to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

35522578.jpg

Photo: Panoramio.com

858684-Large.jpg

Photo: Emporis.com

I was in Manhattan for 3 months and the same thing happened to me. The constant bumper-to-bumper traffic and the overly packed subways made me really miss Toronto. Coming back home, you really notice how relaxed and slower the pace is here compared to a mad house like NYC.

I must say that one thing that always puzzles me is why I always hear sirens at night. Ambulances, fire trucks, cop cars ... don't they operate daytime? It's like, at 9 p.m. or so, somebody somewhere in the bowels of city hall maybe puts on a New York City or Detroit soundtrack.

Fellow Nova Scotian here...

Hello there! (insert secret Maritimer handshake)

When I visit Nova Scotia I get asshole fatigue. Perhaps it's not that there are more assholes there, but maybe I'm just tired of dealing with the particular brand of assholiness and ignorance that exists in NS.

You are not alone in that. I could go on for hours, but I'd be preaching to the choir. ;)

NorthYorkEd, this is a little off topic, but might be of interest to you. You mentioned that you live in the Yonge & Sheppard area -- and speaking of fatigue and looking for a place for replenishment -- might I suggest that you take your wife one evening (around twilight) to Linus Park (located off Seneca Hill Dr, west of Don Mills Rd...

That looks great! We will check it out for sure...

That looks great! We will check it out for sure...

My photo is not the best, but you can also check out Earl Bales Park for a nice view of the North York skyline. This particular spot is at the top of a hill, beside the ski lift. However my favourite parks for skyline views are Casa Loma and Riverdale Park.

14962131951_e4758c4512_b.jpg

My wife and I are fairly recent arrivals to the city, by way of suburban Halifax. While we enjoy the vibrancy and pace, there are times when you just need to pull back and enjoy some peace.
I had the opposite experience when I moved to Fredericton, NB from downtown Toronto.

The pace of Fredericton was maddening to me. Just ordering a Timmies would take forever, and the driving habits where no one observed their right of way could be annoying. Those are just too fuzzy examples in my pre-coffee brain so you'll have to forgive me if they seem asinine, but my wife and I were dearly grateful to return to our Cabbagetown place after three years.

Back