News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

And this is......

Why unions can strike. Its legal and workers can excerise their right to strike when talks break down. Suggesting outsourcing whenever a union or the members start to grumble or walk off the job misses the point completely. They are legally entitled to do this when the situation calls for it.

Why unions can strike. Its legal and workers can excerise their right to strike when talks break down. Suggesting outsourcing whenever a union or the members start to grumble or walk off the job misses the point completely. They are legally entitled to do this when the situation calls for it.

And it should be completely legal for employers to fire your asses, if you don't want to show up for works. In comparison to other part of the worlds, these people have it good. And it's not like their work quality is top notch.

Last edited:

Is the union legally entitled to walk away from the negotiating table?

I am so sick of these unions begging for unfair demands. They should just be happy to have a job, and should not be expecting any pay raises, given the current economy.

I wish we would just privatize trash collection, along with several other public services (excluding health care of course). We would get better service, and reduce the taxpayer burden. We also wouldn't have to hear the union members nagging on a daily basis.

Hopefully I don't offend too many with these comments.

Delivered my fourth gift bag of food scraps to Moss Park early yesterday morning. The guardians are still frightfully nice, polite, and cheerful - and they accept my donation graciously. I always wish them well, and they seem to appreciate it.

The smell doesn't seem to have worsened - or maybe I'm used to it.

But is the situation we currently have the same as your example?

The union members have not had a contract since January 2009 ... if there isn't a valid contract, how is the City legally bound to retain their services?

One would think the appropriate method to negotiate a new contract would be to start 3 months before your current one expired ... and definitely not 6 months after it expires.

Don't they still require the city to determine whether the building is safe or not to live in?
Just reading through some articles on the net.... This strike will affect occupancy dates. I'm really hoping this thing gets resolved because I won't be able to extend my lease.

The midnight deadline was extended to 1am and bargaining continues at 3am. This is a very encouraging sign.

416 union has struck a deal. No details as to what it is. I'm sure 79 will do the same soon.

416 union has struck a deal. No details as to what it is. I'm sure 79 will do the same soon.
Maybe it's just PR for his union's membership, but the union rep made it sound like they got most of what they wanted. No details given though.

They better not get their bank-able sick days :mad:

If I were the city, I would not settle, after coping for 5 weeks, what's another 5-10 weeks?

They better not get their bank-able sick days :mad:

If I were the city, I would not settle, after coping for 5 weeks, what's another 5-10 weeks?

I feel the same way. I've got a feeling they got what they wanted. Dang. Well, maybe this will spur on some change.

Oh, and the 416 isn't going back to work until 79 agrees to a deal. What the hell? It's just so frustrating.

^ How can it be legal to be on strike to support a separate union while you have an agreement? I think this has more to do with a lack of enforcement by the city ... like not seeking an injunction against the picketers for delaying each drop-off.

Back