News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

At least entertaining graffiti's starting to come out of it. Sometime during the weekend, I think - definitely between Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon - this Watchmen-inspired message ("Who Watches the Garbage Men?") appeared on the south side of 1116 King West. All we need now is vigilante garbage collectors and WE ARE SET.

(Torontoist reported on it today but I WAS FIRST)

Attachments

• whowatches_th.jpg
    whowatches_th.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 188
At least entertaining graffiti's starting to come out of it. Sometime during the weekend, I think - definitely between Friday afternoon and Monday afternoon - this Watchmen-inspired message ("Who Watches the Garbage Men?") appeared on the south side of 1116 King West. All we need now is vigilante garbage collectors and WE ARE SET.

(Torontoist reported on it today but I WAS FIRST)

There's a mattress on the side walk at the south east corner of Spadina and College which someone spray painted "Sorry for the mess" on last night. The writing looks similar to what is on the image you provided.

Miller also says he believes “public services being delivered publicly.†All well and good, but they're not being delivered at the moment, so there's a problem.

Umm, nice made up quote. Humourously Kim Campbellesque, but he doesn't say that.

That's interesting. I'm quoting the name of the article, which has since changed. It was originally "A strike is no time to talk about issues."

I suppose he changed the title for exactly that reason.

Some peculiar quotes from CUPE 416 boss today:

Toronto union: A deal by midnight Sunday or 'we are finished'

Josh Wingrove
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ght-sunday-or-we-are-finished/article1230630/

Globe and Mail Update Last updated on Friday, Jul. 24, 2009 05:08PM EDT

The union representing the City of Toronto's striking outdoor workers will walk away from negotiations at midnight Sunday if it hasn't reached a deal with the city, its president announced today.
Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 416 president Mark Ferguson held a press conference at a Scarborough hotel Friday afternoon. Looking frustrated on the 32nd day of the strike, he called on the city to reach a deal or see his union walk away from bargaining.
"I am a patient man but I am close to the end of my rope," Mr. Ferguson said. "A few minutes ago I told the city negotiators that time is running out. We must have a settlement by midnight Sunday, or we are finished."
Asked what he meant by "we are finished," Mr. Ferguson said his union would stop negotiating and stay on strike until the city presents a deal it finds fair.
"I guess I will be joining the picket lines with the 24,000 other members and show my support for their cause directly at the picket lines as opposed to being at the bargaining table," if a deal isn't reached, he said. "That sends a message to Torontonians that we're very serious about solving this labour disruption."
He characterized the city's approach as "bargaining" rather than "trying to reach a deal," and said union officials would be at the table around the clock throughout the weekend to get a deal done.
"Enough is enough. The City of Toronto needs to take it serious, and negotiate in good faith with the union to bring this labour disruption to an end," he said. "There has been a lack of urgency in the negotiations from the city's perspective, and we're saying enough is enough."

First bolded - finished? Finished what? Finished striking? Finished with your jobs and you quit collectively?

Second bolded - threats and then leaving the bargaining table is hardly "serious"

Third/Fourth bolded - Isn't it called collective bargaining? Of course the city is bargaining.

"We are Finished"? Was that a Freudian Slip?

The workers who haven't been receiving their pay cheques will eventually crumble. They don't have to contend with patience: they have to contend with paying the bills.

With workers returning to their jobs in growing numbers over the last several days, you could say that either CUPE is "finished" or Mark Ferguson and co. at the least will be replaced.

I get the very very strong feeling (as others have already mentioned) that the union wants arbitration. I doubt they'll even entertain any offer with clauses they don't want (e.g., elimination of the sick bank, raises of less than they're expecting).

I can honestly see this strike going for some time still.
Since the province has given no indication that they're going to legislate them back to work and send it to arbitration, the only way this is going to end is with pressure from residents or union members.

I think we're still weeks away from a majority of residents putting pressure on the politicians to end (i.e. cave on) the strike, and weeks away from enough union members returning to work and/or putting pressure on their union to reach a settlement.

The union's strategy was obvious - hope for a hot stinky summer and raise the issue in the media of the inequality of other unions and city politicians getting a higher raise than them. The union was looking to have the city quickly cave, or the province legislate them back to work. I doubt they ever wanted to negotiate or were willing to discuss serious concessions.

With a combination of a cooler summer than normal, and a province not wanting to appear to favour Toronto, especially after not intervening in the Windsor strike that started weeks earlier, their gamble did not return immediate results.

Prediction - this ends in September. I have no idea who will blink first, but for now the battle lines are heavily entrenched.

That said I live in an apartment and have regular garbage/recycling pickup. I'm also not directly affected by the other unions on strike. As such the most the strike affects me is noticing the overflowing garbage bins while walking in the Annex. I want to see the city stand firm - and I want to see a fair deal for both the workers and the city/residents.

I'm noticing more and more of the City garbage bins around downtown being re-sealed, presumably by BIA's, neighbourhood associations etc. Garbage bags are being hung on the sides of many of the bins so that they can be easily changed. In the Church-Wellesley Village someone (the BIA?) has cut pink bristol board, placed it over the openings, wrote "FULL" and then taped them securely with clear packing tape, and provided garbage bags on the sides. Surprisingly I still see overflowing bins with garbage in front of them along Bloor St. between Yonge & Ave. Rd., someone should get with the program there!
Sealing the garbage bins similar to what I noted above also helps reduce the smell from the rotting garbage inside dramatically.

I want to see the city stand firm - and I want to see a fair deal for both the workers and the city/residents.

I would prefer the city or better,its residents, to take a more proactive approach than just standing firm or taking it up the ass . I'm all for fair deals but the union is beyond reason and has been for a very long time.

I do have a couple friends in this union and they do work very hard but, enough is enough.

Back