News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I love the BS disclaimer: ELF is not responsible for actions those take under the name of ELF.

OK. So you may have not directly told someone to do this but the ideals you spread led to it. I say (hypothetically speaking of course as I know it is not possible esp. since they are based in England...and, well, the case would be weak) charge the site owners. Such BS crap from neo-hippies...so typical...passive agressive...Why don't they take responsibility? Own up to it? Such cowards. Real activists would stand behind their actions not hide in cyberspace.

and did someone point out to the disturbed idiot that Cityplace started years ago? Might have got some more 'backers' or 'sympathy' if it was phase one not phase seven hundred!

Finally CN, did this happen before you were there? You were lucky if so as security would tackle you pretty darn quickly if they saw you taking snaps now!

Such BS crap from neo-hippies

Not hippies. Hippies are notoriously passive.

More likely bored teenagers who have an urge to cause chaos, and want to think they're doing it for a cause.

I was there the evening before the ELF's did their nonsense. I'm glad I didn't accidentally wander in the following evening...!

A dozen construction vehicles at the massive CityPlace condo development site at the foot of Spadina were sabotaged in the early morning hours last Friday (July 14) in what is being described as "an act of giving back to the planet" by an anonymous e-mailer claiming to be a member of the radical Earth Liberation Front (ELF).

How is sabotaging vehicles give back to the planet? The only thing that will be given back to the planet is damaged vehicle parts and greater energy and resource consumption to provide replacement parts. It is a waste increase which can't possibly be good for the planet. High-rises use less land and less resources once built.

How is sabotaging vehicles give back to the planet? The only thing that will be given back to the planet is damaged vehicle parts and greater energy and resource consumption to provide replacement parts. It is a waste increase which can't possibly be good for the planet. High-rises use less land and less resources once built.

It's the monetary aspect they hope to hit. 2mill is quite a bit of cash and though I imagine it is an inflated number Concord can easily afford it. Their insurance might go up slightly but...

This tactic may work against smaller companies but rarely works against big ones. It is used a lot against forestry companies - which does keep the machines from working for some time and being in remote locations and all well, it is just really delaying the inevitable. A far more scary tactic in forestry sabotage is tree spiking which can provide deadly results instantly. Generally speaking it just reinforces the public sympathy for the company being protested against. These are very selfish activists.

I agree 100% with the above comment. These guys are one step above Al-Queda.

These guys are one step above Al-Queda.

I have to disagree with any terrorism analogy. These people (ELVES?) are simply misguided idiots.

The last time I heard about them was maybe a couple of years ago in California, when some of their members protested the waste of SUVs by vandalizing a whole bunch of them at a car dealership. While I wholeheartedly agree that SUVs are wasteful and damaging, I don't see how vandalizing them contributes to one's cause. They need to think of a strategy for discouraging manufacturers from making them or consumers from buying them.

In the current case, if they really think they might be delaying construction, they are suffering delusions of grandeur. In any event, they are accomplishing absolutely nothing if they can't communicate to people what their cause is or why they stand behind it.

There is no comparison between idiots damaging large vehicles/machines, and those who seek to kill and inflict total damange.

At best they're connected between a very very loose definition of terrorism, but really they are nothing alike.

Lets not take this off topic. Here is another angle of CityPlace West. This is shot from Front and Spadina. Looking good!

DSC03235.jpg

DSC03234.jpg

I think these are the best Cityplace buildings in terms of glass choice, but the Gallary really does look like a parking garage. Maybe it will be better when its finished. As long as its roof doesn't look like what the low rise building at HVEI has with all the obvious mechanical plopped on top.

I dunno if I'd say West One has the best choice in materials. The HVE buildings were considerably lighter, and stood out very distinctively when approaching from the West on the Gardiner. This somewhat darker glass sort of blends away to nothing.

Back