News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The result is an oversupply of depreciating suburban housing and a pent-up demand for walkable urban space, which is unlikely to be met for a number of years. That's mainly, according to Leinberger, because the built environment changes very slowly; and also because governmental policies and zoning laws are largely prohibitive to the construction of complicated high-density developments.

The first argument is not necessarily true. Suburbanization mobilized millions of Americans and radically changed the landscape of American cities - both in the suburbs and in the inner cities and barely took two decades. Once neighbourhood gentrification has saturated (it is almost reaching this point in New York) we will begin to see a frenzy of construction in American inner cities.

My 26-year old son lives in the Bloor-High Park area of Toronto. He recently quit his job that was in north-west Mississauga, that was near the 401. Instead he took a new job in the Don Mills-Eglinton area. He now uses the subway and bus to get to work and home, instead of his car. He is now saving money because he is no longer spending the money on gasoline (or speeding tickets, or high insurance, or maintenance costs). Instead, he has time to read a book while riding on the train.

Check out this short documentary on the End of Suburbia.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/302992

While a transit revival is key to supporting new urban density, looking to transit alone would be short-sighted. Just transporting people from Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough to downtown is not enough to sustain our city.

A better approach would include a mix of better transit and local development. More entertainment, employment and service clusters outside the city core would improve the lives of those who live in some of our most underserved communities.

Luv to see a business park maybe somewhere along the 401 between 400 and allen.

In a lot of cases, people assume the poor in a neighbourhood as being unhealthy. This article called New evidence cities rule and suburbs drool says that big cities are more environmental healthy than the suburbs. From this link at grist.

the lawn goodbye

New evidence cities rule and suburbs drool

Suck it, Thoreau: Looks like big cities are the way to go if you're looking to lower your environmental impact. According to a new study published in the journal Environment and Urbanization, carbon emissions in cities are lower than in the car-dependent burbs.

Okay, so you'll still come out ahead if you live in an earthbag hut by the side of a lake and weave your own clothes out of cattails. But when it comes to non-rural areas, density is king. Public transportation and walkability reduce per-capita carbon emissions, especially in warmer cities that rely less on artificial heating.

This study focused in detail on the Toronto metro area, but this is not the first indicator that cities are cleaner than their reputation implies.

Suburbs are dead; dead last: Maps from the Center for Neighborhood Technology show that while cities have the highest emissions per square mile, suburbs have far and away the highest emissions per person. Yeah, a single acre in New York is going to pollute more than an acre of strip mall in Scottsdale, but that's because everyone's stacked like Ikea cabinets. On a per-person basis, cities rule and strip malls drool.

Density is pretty much the most important thing:
A 2009 National Research Council report looked at the relationship between dense city layouts, vehicle use, and carbon, and recommended "policies that support more compact, mixed-use development and reinforce its ability to reduce [vehicle miles traveled], energy use, and CO2 emissions." NRC reports can be a little dry, but here's the upshot: Dense living is the way to go, and we should encourage it.

Impact per person is lower in cities, even though total impact may be higher: If you're one of those holdouts who still loves long-form journalism (good on ya!), David Owen wrote a long piece about this in the New Yorker in 2004. (If you like even longer-form journalism, he wrote a book on it too.)

Because densely populated urban centers concentrate human activity, we think of them as pollution crisis zones. Calculated by the square foot, New York City generates more greenhouse gases, uses more energy, and produces more solid waste than most other American regions of comparable size. On a map depicting negative environmental impacts in relation to surface area, therefore, Manhattan would look like an intense hot spot, surrounded, at varying distances, by belts of deepening green.

If you plotted the same negative impacts by resident or by household, however, the color scheme would be reversed. My little town has about four thousand residents, spread over 38.7 thickly wooded square miles, and there are many places within our town limits from which no sign of settlement is visible in any direction. But if you moved eight million people like us, along with our dwellings and possessions and current rates of energy use, into a space the size of New York City, our profligacy would be impossible to miss, because you'd have to stack our houses and cars and garages and lawn tractors and swimming pools and septic tanks higher than skyscrapers. (Conversely, if you made all eight million New Yorkers live at the density of my town, they would require a space equivalent to the land area of the six New England states plus Delaware and New Jersey.)

Spreading people out increases the damage they do to the environment, while making the problems harder to see and to address.​

Here come the numbers: Economist Edward Glaeser's got data and charts!

New York City has the largest gap in emissions between central city and suburbs of any metropolitan area in the country-unsurprisingly, since New York's central city is the epitome of dense urban living. Our estimate is that an average New York City resident emits 4,462 pounds less of transportation-related carbon dioxide than an average New York suburbanite. The reductions in carbon emissions from home heating and electricity are comparably large, thanks to New York's famously tiny apartments. Manhattan is one of the greenest places in America.​

There are more links in the original article.

Last edited:
My 26-year old son lives in the Bloor-High Park area of Toronto. He recently quit his job that was in north-west Mississauga, that was near the 401. Instead he took a new job in the Don Mills-Eglinton area. He now uses the subway and bus to get to work and home, instead of his car. He is now saving money because he is no longer spending the money on gasoline (or speeding tickets, or high insurance, or maintenance costs). Instead, he has time to read a book while riding on the train.
Reminds me of when I used to commute from Cabbagetown to Hwy7&400 in Vaughan for almost four years. Then I got a new job at Yonge and Lawrence and sold the car and took transit to work everyday, usually walked home from College Stn. Unfortunately the office was moved to Mississauga, and I left for a new job in New Brunswick. When I got back after three years out east there were no jobs in my field (consumer packaged goods marketing, export and domestic sales, logistics and ops) anywhere near Cabbagetown, so I now work in Markham. It's a great company, with competitive pay, a stable longterm workforce, a full DB pension, plus a matching DC pension and TFSA, so as I'm 40 next month I'm sticking with this company to the end for the benefits and enjoyable work. The downside is the drive, but it's up the DVP, 401 East to McCowan and that goes right to my company's doorstep on 14 Ave, so it's not so bad. Having grown up in the 'burbs at Winston Churchill and Derry Rd. I have no interest in buying a house in Markham, nor raising my children in the 'burbs.

So, I choose to live in the city but work in the surburbs.

Suburbs are the worst. The way they are planned and developed sucks and you need a car to survive! Drive through banks, drug stores etc. It turns ppl fat

Suburbs don't suck. I personally believe they're even more livable than downtown. The only draw back for some I suppose would be the lack of entertainment in certain areas, but my idea of fun isn't very conventional. I prefer to just go out for walks with friends instead of barhopping. It depends on the person, but I prefer the quiet, spaciousness in North York. Within a short walking distance of my home there are over half a dozen large parks, several ravines, a private golf course, which is walkable in the late evening. The streets are laid out in winding patterns with various topographical changes and contain gorgeous early 60s stone homes with large lots. You don't need a car, buses run regularly, including a 24 hour one 2 minutes walking distance from my home. Living in the suburbs my entire life hasn't turned me fat. I look as malnourished as a 12 year old, vegetarian girl. Living downtown feels to claustrophobic to me and it lacks that family feel. Even if you own a home, your property is so tiny that you could whippersnip your entire lawn and homes are placed to close together for my liking. I realize some people prefer that sort of coziness.

Those are the suburbs of the 50s and 60s. Suburbs today have much smaller lots, and really aren't designed the same way anymore.

Those are the suburbs of the 50s and 60s. Suburbs today have much smaller lots, and really aren't designed the same way anymore.

In that case, I agree 100%. Modern suburbs are pathetic. Richmond Hill, Newmarkert, Vaughan, Maple, etc. are all crap holes. I don't understand how people can live in those cookie cutter developments. The 50s/60s suburbs can be amazing though and in my opinion are the most desirable places to live in the city.

In that case, I agree 100%. Modern suburbs are pathetic. Richmond Hill, Newmarkert, Vaughan, Maple, etc. are all crap holes. I don't understand how people can live in those cookie cutter developments. The 50s/60s suburbs can be amazing though and in my opinion are the most desirable places to live in the city.

The houses of the 1950's and 1960's were energy-hogs. Very little insulation. Spread out. Little or no sidewalks. Stores, what stores? One needs a car for everything. One may see a bus stop out a bedroom window, but to walk to it one needs to go in the opposite direction maybe doubling or tripling the distance to get to it.

Well there you go looks like none of the suburbs were ever good, none got it right! 50s 60s 70s etc they all are disasters. Bad for the environment, promote unhealthy lifestyles etc. When will we all learn it urbanization not suburbanization! I understand the need for low-income housing but there can be better planning. Look at HWY7 for example, its horrendous whether in woodbridge, markham etc. Its meant for cars and trucks, its ugly, not pedestrian or cyclist friendly. Its perfect for lazy overweight ppl in their gas guzzling suvs!

The houses of the 1950's and 1960's were energy-hogs. Very little insulation. Spread out. Little or no sidewalks. Stores, what stores? One needs a car for everything. One may see a bus stop out a bedroom window, but to walk to it one needs to go in the opposite direction maybe doubling or tripling the distance to get to it.

Heating and gas in the 50s was very cheap. The energy efficiency of the houses and their remoteness are merely a byproduct of those reasons.

As for their spread-outness, those were their charms- they were really presented the opposite of the city- an idyllic place to live, with much more room to enjoy yourself in. Compare that to today's suburbs, which really pack in the people. Some areas probably are as dense as some of the older Toronto neighbourhoods, but with none of the charm.

Not true about my house. It's very well insulated. What's wrong with homes being spread out? That's the appeal. You have more privacy and space to enjoy. There are plenty of sidewalks in my neighbourhood as well. Depends what kind of stores you're referring to? There's a local plaza two minutes from my home, Shops at Don Mills is less than a 5 minute drive away, maybe 10 minutes by bus. You don't need a car for everything. There's actually a bus stop at the top of my street and several along the same street as it's a thoroughfare. It's also a 24 hour bus, so basically I have everything I'll ever need within a short distance of home.

Well there you go looks like none of the suburbs were ever good, none got it right! 50s 60s 70s etc they all are disasters. Bad for the environment, promote unhealthy lifestyles etc. When will we all learn it urbanization not suburbanization! I understand the need for low-income housing but there can be better planning. Look at HWY7 for example, its horrendous whether in woodbridge, markham etc. Its meant for cars and trucks, its ugly, not pedestrian or cyclist friendly. Its perfect for lazy overweight ppl in their gas guzzling suvs!

Give me a break. Could you generalize anymore? Have you even spent time in the burbs? There are plenty of beautiful neighbourhoods outside of the core. I suppose the rancid reek in the air in some downtown locations is healthy for you? You're forgetting one thing, many suburbs are built around large ravines, which provide us with an abundance of oxygen. They also contain more trees and parks in general. Aside from the 'house' residential steets, there are few trees that line downtown streets. The air is arguably worse downtown, especially with the density or buildings.

What do you mean, when will we learn it's urbanization not suburbinization? Who are you to tell people how they should live? Some people actually prefer living away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I like downtown as well, but I could never live down there. I've always lived in a house and always will.

Back