News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

John, it's not a question of whether downtown is better than the suburbs because that is entirely related to one's personal preference. However, as someone who lives in the city but grew up in the suburbs, I can certainly attest to the fact that the quality of life offered in the suburbs has gone down somewhat over the past 2 decades, whereas the qualify of life offered downtown has improved. I've been back to the area that I grew up in during the 1980s, and it's definitely not what it used to be.

Some people will always view downtown as an awful place, while others could never live north of Bloor. Let's not argue over this! However, the current trend is that quality of life is improving in the city, and actually declining in the suburbs.

I'm not arguing over which is better, I was just defending the suburbs because they are't a complete write off like some people believe. It's a completely subjective topic. I've lived in the same neighbourhood my entire life and it hasn't degraded whatsoever in that period, aside from a few more shady people moving into the townhouse complex at the bottom of my street. Maybe your neighbourhood and others have declined but it's too easy to make an all encompassing generalization.

One of my children ( born in the early '60s) grew up in the Victoria Park and York Mills Road area of North York. When he left home he lived downtown in various locations, was firmly convinced that Danforth Avenue was the tree line and anyone who owned a car was an idiot. Sound familiar?

Fast forward to today to witness a comical epiphany resulting in the formerly staunchly opinionated urban dweller the proud owner of an automobile and a Condo situated less than a mile from his childhood home. If he had children they would attend his old alma mater.

Apparently he has former schoolmates who have travelled the same circuit and settled right back in the old 'hood. Is there a pattern emerging here?

As someone that grew up in the core (little italy/cabbagetown) witnessed the influx of new residents to them, moved out to the burbs, and now back in the core, I can tell you that both serve very different needs and both have their charms.

My parents, for example, as former 'downtowners' have retreated to 'charm' of large lots and picturesque back yards. After a long life in the 'hussle and bussle' of the 'core', they enjoy their tranquility and privacy.

The condo dwellers I meet everyday, are generally suburbanites from small towns that are caught up in their profession and the shinning lights of the city. I think in the next ten years, you might see the trend of inner 'suburban' homes becoming popular again (those built in the 50's, situated on large lots, away from arterial roads). Think Scarborough, Certain parts of Northyork, and Etobicoke.

You're already seing the trend. The once suburbanites turned condo dwellers are retreating to larger homes with backyards as their children begin to grow and space becomes an issue, .

With downtown real estate prices quickly climbing out of reach for middle class housolds (80k-160k), they are quickly mobilizing to 'greener' pastures if you will

Cities like Paris, and NYC are more ahead of the curve in terms of residential families. It's the rich and the poor in the core, with the middle class commuting quickly to the burbs. Just look at school enrollment, teaching jobs, and vacant schools.

It will be interesting to see the change in demography in these inner suburbs in the next 10-20 years.

Last edited:
One of my children ( born in the early '60s) grew up in the Victoria Park and York Mills Road area of North York. When he left home he lived downtown in various locations, was firmly convinced that Danforth Avenue was the tree line and anyone who owned a car was an idiot. Sound familiar?

Fast forward to today to witness a comical epiphany resulting in the formerly staunchly opinionated urban dweller the proud owner of an automobile and a Condo situated less than a mile from his childhood home. If he had children they would attend his old alma mater.

Apparently he has former schoolmates who have travelled the same circuit and settled right back in the old 'hood. Is there a pattern emerging here?

My sister moved downtown in 2001, now she and her husband are looking to buy a home in North York. That's also probably because they now have a child.

What is the definition of "SUburbs" and whats the definition of "URban Areas" ?
Where does Inner Suburb begin?
Where does real suburbia begin?

My feelings is that anything south of the 401 has a lot of chance of significant redevelopment in the near future..The new Eglinton Line will help much of western Toronto. Then there are areas like yonge and sheppard or Bayview which I believe will be immune to this type of change. Real suburbs like Richmond hill and Oakville are too less likely to become ghettos then places like brampton, Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Milton.

Just an opinion. I have a hard time believing people who are buying bungalos and ripping them down to put up MCMansions with BMWs in the driveways are high candidates to be housing multiple families in one house. This sounds more like areas where to begin with you are getting big bang for your buck. Not the areas with 500k bungalos being bought for land value..

Back