News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I saw the air show this year for the first time in several years, from the Island. A few times they did seem amazingly low, but never within any dangerous range of downtown towers, etc. The majority of it was over water, although obviously not all of it. I was quite impressed. It takes real skill to fly as these guys do. It's always enjoyable to watch people who are evidently among the best at their jobs.

I don't think they did any colour smoke trails. One team did do a "petal burst" manoeuvre, which impressed me considerably.

As for noise, it's a couple of hours. Not as bad as the car race in July.

I watched the air show a few times from Hanlan's Point way back in the day and it amazed me how the jet fly-overs would actually vibrate and move the sand beneath my butt. Amazing! The unobstructed view of the show was stunning however the problem from there is the sun shining in my eyes so I usually cycle about a mile west of Ontario Place and watch it from there now. It's a good view from there, quite crowded which is fine but the sun in eyes issue is better. It was a terrific show this year!

The earth moved for me, a few times, on that beach ...

Where my parents lived - the flat, north coast of quiet Norfolk, England - quite a few American war planes from Lakenheath and other U.S. bases on Airstrip One went down during training flights over the years. They made a helluva racket at the best of times as they flew over the nice little villages and annoyed the locals.

Could they not gang up these noisy events, like the air show and the Indy, and have them on the same day out of earshot in some rural place?

Where my parents lived - the flat, north coast of quiet Norfolk, England - quite a few American war planes from Lakenheath and other U.S. bases on Airstrip One went down during training flights over the years. They made a helluva racket at the best of times as they flew over the nice little villages and annoyed the locals.

Could they not gang up these noisy events, like the air show and the Indy, and have them on the same day out of earshot in some rural place?

Sure and take Caribana, Pride, Santa Claus Parade, Nuit Blance, Luminato, and the Beaches Jazz Fest with them!

I'll bet it was such an inconvenience that the Americans would disrupt the peace and quiet of the English countryside to stand guard against the Soviets. Damn those people and their racket! At least the Communists know how to keep the volume down! :rolleyes:

People didn't want foreign warplanes crashing into their homes, that's all.

This was long after the Red Menace had ceased to be Uncle Sam's current enemy, when bombing missions against Saddam and the ruse of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" were the main reason for him to be using Airstrip One to kill civilian populations in countries elsewhere.

Let's get every single event that causes noise above that of a slight breeze and move it away from the city! Out of the province even! We might as well abolish anything that could accidentally be determined to be fun or interesting.

Or, why don't you move out of the city to a rural place somewhere.

Let's get every single event that causes noise above that of a slight breeze and move it away from the city! Out of the province even! We might as well abolish anything that could accidentally be determined to be fun or interesting.

Or, why don't you move out of the city to a rural place somewhere.

Except the damn birds will wake you up in the morning!

People didn't want foreign warplanes crashing into their homes, that's all.

This was long after the Red Menace had ceased to be Uncle Sam's current enemy, when bombing missions against Saddam and the ruse of "Weapons of Mass Destruction" were the main reason for him to be using Airstrip One to kill civilian populations in countries elsewhere.

Wouldn't it be great if all friendships and alliances could be of such a fair weather nature? You are absolutely right. Right after the wall fell, the Brits should have booted the yanks from their bases. So what if the Americans helped protect western Europe for 4 decades with their own blood and treasure? And so what if the US and UK have many, many common and mutual foreign and defence policy interests? Nothing is as important as being able to have a cup of tea without the faint roar of turbines nearly half a mile (altitude at least) away. Send the bastards a-packing!

I find the Air Show disturbing.

For a couple of hours every year WMD's are flown over the city.

It's as though the government or the military are making a not so subtle point about who is ultimately in control.

I also wonder about what sort of people want to look at WMD's on their day off?

It's as though the government or the military are making a not so subtle point about who is ultimately in control.

to me, if we're flying planes for fun, that means at least were not in some global conflict that sees people collecting metal kitchen utensils in order to melt them down and produce more equipment to fight with. shit, if we can spare a few, things aren't really that bad.

and you wanna know who is really in control? people who enable others. all kinds of political and religious leaders have/are/will be in power across this globe because people support them. people need to be really careful who they throw their support behind. when it comes to the large scale, authority is given because alot of people believe stupid things and are easily fooled.

I understand hating war, however just hating the military is just being stupid.

no matter how peaceful of a nation you are, you need some sort of military to defend yourself.

With the advancement of new engines such as the Pratt & Whitney F119, which is on the F 22 Raptor the noise is a lot less intrusive.

I didn't see any drones there which would of been neat ( or were they ?). It would be neat to see a formation of drones doing stunts.

You do know what WMDs are right? And you do know that the aircraft that fly at air shows are unarmed?

Back