News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What a complete mess! Reading the posts above it is clear how confusing the HST to people. The province should be assisting in providing clear guidance to buyers as to how this will impact them. This has been a mess from the start -- I feel bad for homebuyers, may of whom are doing it for the first time (buying a house that is). The phase-in is complicated, no one seems to know what is going on and we're talking big bucks to the average buyer.
3% LTT in the City, HST, increased DCs all add up to a P in the A (pain in the arse). Shouldn't we be encouraging homeownership not putting up more barriers?:mad:
Thank GOD that first homebuyers get credit on Toronto LTT and Ontario LTT.
This HST thing is crazy. Nothing more than a tax grab by Dalton McGuinty. I even got my builder to cover my HST so I don't have to worry about paying the extra 8%. This HST policy is going to slow growth and new housing sales in Toronto.

What the hell is a "tax grab"? Whatever it is, I don't think it's something that won't increase tax revenues at all.

Haha...wow... I know I should read over my posts before I write them, but y'know...that takes time. That definitely wasn't very clear.

What I was saying was that a revenue-neutral change in taxation is certainly not a "tax grab."

^ In propositional logic, yes. Language is more subtle than that, and screw the grammar police, but double negatives often help convey more nuance.

how it cannot be a revenue increase policy when the things that were exempt from PST before now it's not anymore? It means it will increase revenue = tax grab.

how it cannot be a revenue increase policy when the things that were exempt from PST before now it's not anymore? It means it will increase revenue = tax grab.

He's cutting your personal income tax, giving you $1000 and cutting taxes substantially on your employer. It's not a tax grab because it is part of a reform that reduces overall taxation substantially. It's not complicated folks. A tax grab is a measure designed to increase revenue. This isn't!

He's cutting your personal income tax, giving you $1000 and cutting taxes substantially on your employer. It's not a tax grab because it is part of a reform that reduces overall taxation substantially. It's not complicated folks. A tax grab is a measure designed to increase revenue. This isn't!
They are giving $1000 for a family. If you don't have family they won't give you $1000. They cut your personal income tax. But at the end you are still paying 8% extra on top of things that used to be exempted from PST. So the way I see it, its the same. At the end you still pay more tax then the cuts and rebates that they give you.

The overall tax burden is going down. PST is only increasing on a few items--most notably new build housing.

They are giving $1000 for a family. If you don't have family they won't give you $1000. They cut your personal income tax. But at the end you are still paying 8% extra on top of things that used to be exempted from PST. So the way I see it, its the same. At the end you still pay more tax then the cuts and rebates that they give you.

Newbuyer, do you not get it? The province won't pull in any more money than it did before the introduction of the HST. How is it a "tax grab" if they're not going to be getting any more money? There will now be tax on some things, like new housing, but there won't be tax anymore on business inputs. That means that Ontario manufacturers will be able to pass those savings on to consumers.

Newbuyer, do you not get it? The province won't pull in any more money than it did before the introduction of the HST. How is it a "tax grab" if they're not going to be getting any more money? There will now be tax on some things, like new housing, but there won't be tax anymore on business inputs. That means that Ontario manufacturers will be able to pass those savings on to consumers.
Of course I get it. HST is only benefit for businesses. What makes you think people is going to spend more now? Do you think businesses are going to lower the prices down? Of course not. I think they will keep their prices the same or even increase them. Now think about it. When the HST is effect, people now have to pay 13% tax on used cars from private to private. Thus, less money in their pocket. Gas prices are going to be more, thus less money in their pocket. Now take the last example. If the gas prices are more, the prices of everything that delivered by all kind of method of transportation will go up too. Now please tell me what made you think that the businesses will pass on the saving to consumer?

Of course I get it. HST is only benefit for businesses. What makes you think people is going to spend more now? Do you think businesses are going to lower the prices down? Of course not. I think they will keep their prices the same or even increase them. Now think about it. When the HST is effect, people now have to pay 13% tax on used cars from private to private. Thus, less money in their pocket. Gas prices are going to be more, thus less money in their pocket. Now take the last example. If the gas prices are more, the prices of everything that delivered by all kind of method of transportation will go up too. Now please tell me what made you think that the businesses will pass on the saving to consumer?

Businesses in competitive industries will pass the savings onto consumers, or their competitors will eat their lunch. More importantly, it will help manufacturers and service sector jobs that support the export industry. That means some borderline jobs won't be shipped off to China, or Mexico, or Alabama. What's good for business and our competitiveness is good for Ontarians.

The overall tax burden is going down. PST is only increasing on a few items--most notably new build housing.

Which is the worst part of this tax. One of the best source of middle-class (albeit labourer) jobs is in the construction sector. This will hit housing in the suburbs big-time.

Back