News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I've always wondered up the height premium when it comes to resale.

Is the increased ceiling height premium (e.g. 8 to 9 feet, or 9 feet to 10 feet) recoverable when it comes to resale?

What about the $1000 per floor height premium?

I see a lot of resale condos right now where suites on higher floors and higher ceiling heights aren't going for that much more than similar units without those features.

Last edited:

Is the increased ceiling height premium (e.g. 8 to 9 feet, or 9 feet to 10 feet) recoverable when it comes to resale?

I see a lot of resale condos right now where suites on higher floors and higher ceiling heights aren't going for that much more than similar units without those features.

The ceiling height is definitely a premium that can be recoverable. The floor height premium depends on the building. you see the floor height premium on Luxury a high quality buildings, but not on very standard buldings like Cityplace. You definitely have to pay a floor premium in buildings like Spire, the Hudson, 18 Yorkville. Buildings like Cityplace depend more on the view that the floor height. you can be on the highest floor but if you are facing north, nobody will pay you any premium for the height.

In my experience, ceiling height is immediately noticeable and recoverable. However, when buying presale, the premium per floor isn't worth it imo unless it's a substantial increase. In my building the same unit on the 10th and the 4th will go for the same amount (unless there's an appreciably different view). Between 4th and 15th though, then the premium works. Negotiate it down. In my latest condo purchase, the developer wanted a $10000 premium to go from the 23rd floor to the PH level (24th floor), when he only charged $1500 floor from th 20th-23rd and $1000 per floor from 1-19. I got him to agree to only a $4000 premium - which I have no doubt I'll more than make back from some silly person who cares that they can now tell their friends they live in a Penthouse.

Hi Simuls:
I live on a penthouse level in my building. I don't find it's a prestige thing at all - it's about the views (appreciably better in some suites because we're above surrounding buildings) and the 9-foot ceilings - a standard in our penthouse units. Even our hallways seem more spacious with the added height. It's definitely worth it to me. If the ceilings had been 8 feet, I wouldn't have cared if I was "technically" on a penthouse level, I'd have stayed a few floors lower and saved some $$.
Only draw back? When you visit friends on lower floors, you feel a bit claustraphobic with the lower ceilings :)

View and ceiling height are very much recoverable. Anyone can put in quartz counters and Miele appliances after-the-fact....

View and ceiling height are very much recoverable. Anyone can put in quartz counters and Miele appliances after-the-fact....
Funny you should mention that. Somebody in my complex redid their kitchen... and couldn't get the new appliances up the stairs. (The multifloor units have very, very narrow stairwells.) Their fault of course, though.

The person who bought my unit had the same problem. Couldn't get the couch up the stairs. Mine fit only because I specifically went for "condo-sized" furniture, and did all the measurements before I bought.

In my two purchase experiences, I've found the height premium was partly regained though a much shorter interim occupancy period. Purchasers 20 floors below moved in nearly 14 months earlier. Both buildings have very large podiums (~50% of units are in the podium).

Last edited:
That's an excellent point rbt!! I'd imagine that the approximately $21 000 premium I paid for a PH level unit (24th floor) vs. the 10th floor where my unit type first begins, will be partially recovered because I'll move in much later. I'm guessing (based on my living costs vs. interim occupancy fees) approximately $1500/month in savings and a delay of at least 4-6 months = $6000-$9000. Even better, the PH moniker will demand a premium above and beyond any costs I paid. I'm guessing in the 2-3x amount.

X condos - upgrades pricing

more #s for comparison ~
Thanks to 'X Condo' for providing the PDF's.... see below for the upgrade price list (edited out any personal info):

Click for larger image

Some notes:
  • Found out the Applicances (regular or s/s upgrade) are Amana? Nice to see Great Gulf stepping up with 'quality'. (or is this typical for builders to pick the cheapest appliances?)
  • Glass Wall wasnt included in the upgrade price list (this should be an upgrade for those with 1+dens)
  • As mentioned earlier... smoothed ceiling upgrade not on the pricelist
  • Window Coverings for $4000+? I know it's floor to ceiling but wow! :eek:

I really like the glass bath screen pictured below and want to do something similar in my unit at Boutique. The only condos I know offering this standard or as an upgrade are X-Condos and Charlie. I was wondering if anyone here knows who/where I can go to get this done. I've already tried contacting Great Gulf and Cecconi Simone (the designer for both condos) and have not heard back from either of them.. which only makes sense. With that being said, any help would be greatly appreciated!

WESTENDBath.jpg

I really like the glass bath screen pictured below and want to do something similar in my unit at Boutique. The only condos I know offering this standard or as an upgrade are X-Condos and Charlie. I was wondering if anyone here knows who/where I can go to get this done. I've already tried contacting Great Gulf and Cecconi Simone (the designer for both condos) and have not heard back from either of them.. which only makes sense. With that being said, any help would be greatly appreciated!

WESTENDBath.jpg

If I'm understanding you correctly ... you just want the glass partition?

If so, call a glass installer and tell them you situation.
I'm sure they could help you ... they probably have a variety of products available from clear, to frosted, etched, etc.
They will need to come and measure the space though, so you will have to wait until at least occupancy but it shouldn't take more than few weeks to complete.

My good friend's shop does the frameless shower doors. He is the supplier/installer that always does it for Holmes on Homes. You can contact Will or Glen @ Suburban Glass & Mirror, 416-284-1711. Hope this helps!

If I'm understanding you correctly ... you just want the glass partition?

If so, call a glass installer and tell them you situation.
I'm sure they could help you ... they probably have a variety of products available from clear, to frosted, etched, etc.
They will need to come and measure the space though, so you will have to wait until at least occupancy but it shouldn't take more than few weeks to complete.

My good friend's shop does the frameless shower doors. He is the supplier/installer that always does it for Holmes on Homes. You can contact Will or Glen @ Suburban Glass & Mirror, 416-284-1711. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated :)

Back