8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Re: re:

Enough with the New York City comparison's already. And here I thought the city was confident it's own identity. Next they'll be calling the Yonge/Dundas area Midtown.

Re: re:

Can you get Yonah Schimmel's knishes in Corktown? I wish

Wasn't part of the Upper East Side once called Yorkville?

Spire's hoardings were the best, promising views over NYC. Quite a claim that!

A tall waterfront condo could provide views over New York State...

^ Correct. They claimed you could see New York State not New York City which is true.

The long awaited answer as to what "Corktown District" actually is. Streetcar recently presented to the Corktown Bus/Residents Association about their plans which include a variety of building in the King and Sumach area.

Seecorktown.org

This is pretty impressive development in this area....

Phase 1 (each a 6 story condo)
52 Sumach,
549 King E (plans already put to the city late last year)
569 King E. (their current offices - I heard they were moving this to 530 which they currently renovating)

Phase II
510 King E.
512 King E.
530 King E.

Considering the plans for the McCord land on the south side of King (West Don Lands) there are going to be cranes aplenty out this way for the next couple of years.

I think this development is one of the best in the city right now. I like the design of the three buildings, I like their scope and scale which seems appropriate to their older working class neighbourhood, and I like the fact that the first phase is three distinct buildings that will all add to the neighbourhood in which they are located. Below are renderings and "what's there now" shots.

549 King is right beside Percy Street, the buildings on which were recently added to the Inventory of Heritage Properties. It will replace an empty lot that used to be a garage or something, and Percy Street really deserves to have it's western side defined.

Corktown549KingR.jpg

Corktown549King2.jpg

Corktown549King1.jpg

This is the render and current site for 52 Sumach.

Corktown52SumachR.jpg

Corktown52Sumach.jpg

And the site of the third building (the sales centre) - no render.

Corktown569King.jpg

52 Sumach looks like Abbey Lane lofts, at King and Sherbourne.
Speaking of King and Sherbourne, what's up with East? It has taken forever to start. I had heard maybe the delay was because of an OMB hearing that they had to get through, but that seems to have been resolved some months ago. Any idea when construction starts?

I like what I see

I think this could turn out to be a really cool/interesting neighbourhood one day.

Arch,

I agree that these 3 buildings are the right size for the neighbourhood but their architecture is really bland. The unapologetic garage door on 52 Sumach is particularly troubling. Something like N-blox, the Teeple design for 60 Richmond East, a 20 Niagara, or even a standard box with more of a colour palette would be more exciting.

Thanks for bringing us some updates/info. from little Corktown! Nice

Back