News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
First off - the fake brick facade. The Hudson pretty much proved this does not work

ummm ... the Hudson is one of the better project to go up and there is nothing 'fake' about the brick

These building are trying too hard to be warehouses. You;ve got this contemporary and symmetrical shell, smothered in hard loft / warehouse stereotypes, but lacks the personality that true hard lofts and warehouses have.

like broken windows and chipped paint?

I really don't think blackpool did anything wrong.

Hey, thanks for the defence. I'd just like to say I'm a pretty big fan of these forums - been browsing them for a while now. Sorry if the review came across a little harsh - but it was honest, and I pointed out specifically what was wrong with it as opposed to just insulting it.

I can assure you that this isn't going to happen all the time, as the majority of buildings being built in TO aren't this bad - other flunks would incude "the star of downtown" (self expalanitory I think) and of course the ridiculous Seventy 5 Yoo. (get into that in another thread) Zed lofts ended up looking like a prison, don't know how that happened, the renderings looked nice, I think it's a travesty what's happening in Liberty village - and oh yes, the Electra lofts are a pretty big eye soar.

But beyond that - lots of great stuff - big fan of 66 Portland, although I haven't seen the suits but I would kill for a Penthouse in that building, lots of great conversions: Candy, Toy Factory, Brewery, Tip Top. Looking forward to visiting the M5V sales center! But I'm blabbing now.

Again, sorry, I will cut out the swearing from now on, in hindsight it wasn't necessary - and I will also make an effort to add some "balance" to negative reviews.

If it's any consolation - the suites at Corktown are pretty descent, and bring some interesting and different layouts to the smaller suits (500-800sf) which is a bit of fresh air. It's really a damn shame they are blowing it with what is largely cosmetic problems.

ummm ... the Hudson is one of the better project to go up and there is nothing 'fake' about the brick

I would disagree with this. If there is a positive about the Hudson, it's the fact that it is not a true eye soar, and kind of "disappears" in to the background. That is unless, you are driving East, and have the sun glaring into your eyes from the reflection in the windows. In terms of the brick - it is fake, it's just cement molding which looks like brick.

Another thing that I think detracts from the building are the 2 midrises to the North and East of the main tower which is a nice structure, but now looks more like a community center more than a condo IMHO.

like broken windows and chipped paint?

If you think all there is to warehouses is broken windows and chipped paint, then I'm afraid there is not much point in arguing with you on this point.

There is always a randomness to warehouses, the result of building on and hacking off over decades. They are also designed for practicality, as opposed to just "looking cool" which I find always results in better architecture. That's what's so great about them. There is nothing pretentious about them.

Clearly, Corktown WANTS to look like warehouses and that's really the main problem - they reek of all the typical warehouse clichés but lack all the fundamentals. Not only is there no variation in the building themselves - but there is hardly any variation between the 3 buildings! I'm sorry, but if your going to be cheap about your development, then stay away from styles of architecture which take quite a bit more money to pull off. mark my words, this project risks looking like subsidized housing when all is said and done.

Redeemed

Hey, no problem. Your post did give me that "ding ding ding" feeling on first reading it. (You know, "ding ding ding went the Troll-ey"). But you're right, there is no problem with being critical, though I certainly disagree with what you've said. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Nothing wrong for getting your hate-on for architecture that tweaks you the wrong way, though I don't find anything too exeptionable in this instance.

(But forgive me: it's eye *sore*, as in "festering boil," as in "Star of Downtown." An "eye soar" would be something entirely different, though I don't know what. Probably nothing that would end well.)

I would disagree with this. If there is a positive about the Hudson, it's the fact that it is not a true eye soar, and kind of "disappears" in to the background. That is unless, you are driving East, and have the sun glaring into your eyes from the reflection in the windows. In terms of the brick - it is fake, it's just cement molding which looks like brick.

Another thing that I think detracts from the building are the 2 midrises to the North and East of the main tower which is a nice structure, but now looks more like a community center more than a condo IMHO.

If you think all there is to warehouses is broken windows and chipped paint, then I'm afraid there is not much point in arguing with you on this point.

There is always a randomness to warehouses, the result of building on and hacking off over decades. They are also designed for practicality, as opposed to just "looking cool" which I find always results in better architecture. That's what's so great about them. There is nothing pretentious about them.

Clearly, Corktown WANTS to look like warehouses and that's really the main problem - they reek of all the typical warehouse clichés but lack all the fundamentals. Not only is there no variation in the building themselves - but there is hardly any variation between the 3 buildings! I'm sorry, but if your going to be cheap about your development, then stay away from styles of architecture which take quite a bit more money to pull off. mark my words, this project risks looking like subsidized housing when all is said and done.

I'm quite sure that's real brick used at the Hudson. I've seen it up close and it doesn't look at all artificial...and I've seen the same yellow brick on-site.

I think these new proposed buildings are fine actually. We don't know what the materials will be like and the designs are fitting for the area.

Given the quality of some recent subsidized housing proposals, I don't think looking like subsidized housing is a problem.

I can guarantee hudson is brick. I watched them put the brick up myself.

I have no problems with these kind of buildings. People like loft living. Is it illegal to produce buildings that are part of that loft look? So maybe we should outlaw bricks because people might accuse them of trying to rip off a loft look

There is always a randomness to warehouses, the result of building on and hacking off over decades.

likewise for the city's core hospitals

but if your going to be cheap about your development, then stay away from styles of architecture which take quite a bit more money to pull off.

but you prevously implied warehouse design is more about necessity/function than design so then what exactly makes it so difficult to pull off. And There are numerous of warehouse complexes in the city where design is copied throughout the various buildings.

I've only see the base of hudson up close and the brick appears to be a high quality with a limestone or perhaps even clay base

yeah. I think i was smoking crack when i wrote that. Sorry. It IS brick. I was surprised how quickly they got it all up.

It IS brick. I was surprised how quickly they got it all up.

Where exactly did you see them laying brick? Because at the top you can clearly see the seems. So it's either molding, or the worst brick laying job I've ever seen. If you look at the building on the East side, you can actually see "buckling" from sloppy installation. That's the main risk when brick is simply used as a facade. Since it has nothing to do with structural integrity, it's just slapped on.

You should see the brick laying job they did on the new townhomes at King and Duffering - the cement between the bricks is a good 1 inch thick! Ouch!

likewise for the city's core hospitals

but you prevously implied warehouse design is more about necessity/function than design so then what exactly makes it so difficult to pull off.

I'm a little confused, in your first sentence, you mention how the building techniques in warehouses DOES NOT work (ie hospitals), and in the second sentence, you ask why the warehouse look is so hard to pull off?

And There are numerous of warehouse complexes in the city where design is copied throughout the various buildings.

Sure, lots of warehouse "inspired" condos - nothing wrong with that, but when you rely on almost every cliché in the book it just looks ridiculous. I mean, where does it end? Why not put a chimney on it? Why not paint "Sam's Precision Machinery Ltd." on the front of it? And beyond that, it's just made of squares - everything is a square! It's like they when out of their way to break every design rule in the book. A perfect storm of bad design, and cliché ideas.

I saw them laying the brick too, there's no question about it. The seams you mention are expansion joints, which are required on all masonry construction to prevent cracks (because the exterior surfaces can move more than the interior concrete stcuture, usually due to climate conditions etc.)
And for the record, brick is never load bearing in exterior construction in the last 40 or so years -- it's just a veneer, securely fastened to a concrete block wall directly behind it. There's even an air space directly behind the brick, but it is real brick, about 3.5" thick.

I'm a little confused, in your first sentence, you mention how the building techniques in warehouses DOES NOT work (ie hospitals), and in the second sentence, you ask why the warehouse look is so hard to pull off?

did I really say it doesn't work for hospitals eventhough you maybe correct in assuming I don't exactly care for the asethetics of a St Mike's or Toronto Western

Sure, lots of warehouse "inspired" condos - nothing wrong with that, but when you rely on almost every cliché in the book it just looks ridiculous.

I find it strange that Toy Factory Lofts is then acceptable to you. Is a prerequisite to you liking a project being not 100% new?

saw them laying the brick too, there's no question about it. The seams you mention are expansion joints, which are required on all masonry construction to prevent cracks

the seems are primarily for drainage as brick is quite porous

Back