News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Does anyone know what's happening with the houses next to Trinity Church?

399-403KingStE.jpg

Dates back to 1844 but I don't think it's a heritage site, as most houses are not in Corktown.

I'm curious too. Has real great potential to be restored to its original grandeur and turned into either retail or business offices. Would hate to see condos fo there however..even if they were on top of original structure.......
I wonder who owns the property...hmmmmm

They are heritage properties, and are owned by Little Trinity church. Built 1855, added to the registry in 1986.

http://app.toronto.ca/heritage/browseLetter.do?letter=K

399 KING ST E Commercial 28 Architectural Historical Contextual Shop, 1855 -adopted by City Council on May 5, 1986
401 KING ST E Commercial 28 Architectural Historical Contextual SEE 399 King St. East
403 KING ST E Commercial 28 Architectural Historical Contextual Shop, 1855 -adopted by City Council on May 5, 1986

How many homes (roughly) aren't designated? I know recently the rows on my street received letters asking owners if they'd like to have their house designated as a heritage property. So perhaps the city is finally getting around to recognizing the residential buildings in Corktown. Anyone else receive these letters?

Our place dates back to 1861. I couldn't believe it wasn't already a heritage site.

Not many homes in Corktown are designated (you can search on the city website, link previously posted). Almost all of the homes in Cabbagetown are on the list, however. Corktown today has a lot in common with Cabbagetown in the mid-80's and most of Cabbagetown received its designation in 1986.

Our street is north of Queen and we have not yet received any notice of a movement to get our home on the list, although we would certianly support such a motion.

Also, Talking Heads is awesome.

Not many homes in Corktown are designated (you can search on the city website, link previously posted). Almost all of the homes in Cabbagetown are on the list, however. Corktown today has a lot in common with Cabbagetown in the mid-80's and most of Cabbagetown received its designation in 1986.

Our street is north of Queen and we have not yet received any notice of a movement to get our home on the list, although we would certianly support such a motion.

Cabbagetown's housing stock is newer than Corktown's and, even though both areas housed workers, seems more affluent (maybe better constructed, but at least better maintained)

Cabbagetown's housing stock is newer than Corktown's and, even though both areas housed workers, seems more affluent (maybe better constructed, but at least better maintained)

I agree the housing in what is now known as Cabbagetown tends to be larger/more ornate. I was trying to indicate that Corktown is now undergoing a similar type of early stage gentrification that Cabbagetown 20 years ago, when that nabe was recognized as a historical area by the City.

I agree the housing in what is now known as Cabbagetown tends to be larger/more ornate. I was trying to indicate that Corktown is now undergoing a similar type of early stage gentrification that Cabbagetown 20 years ago, when that nabe was recognized as a historical area by the City.

Which is funny given that Corktown is actually the more historic neighb. Unfortunately the designation will come too late to stop buildings like the gruesome Corktown District lofts from being built :(

How long has Savoury Grounds been open?

I was in here for the first time (Queen and Sumach location) a few weeks ago; didn't realize this part of Queen East was "hip" and furthermore, wonder why S.Grounds has two locations so close together? (Chain in the making?)

Next: is the Dominion a cool pub?

Finally, what does Gourmet Bun sell?

DSC00273-1.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

I was in here for the first time (Queen and Sumach location) a few weeks ago; didn't realize this part of Queen East was "hip"

Its hip-ness was in how under the radar the hood was. It was like Queen West West but without the attention. Now it's getting douchified in the same way :(

Does anyone know what's happening with the houses next to Trinity Church?

Dates back to 1844 but I don't think it's a heritage site, as most houses are not in Corktown.

Work was being done on the interiors of these buildings two summers ago. I really don't remember where I heard/read this, but I believe it was intended to be turned into a daycare run by the church.

Work was being done on the interiors of these buildings two summers ago. I really don't remember where I heard/read this, but I believe it was intended to be turned into a daycare run by the church.

As I recollect that work was primarily on the exterior of those buildings. The picture above is prior to the work being done and as you can see the brick was collapsing. There was some talk around the neighborhood about Little Trinity doing something with the property but nothing seems to have come about - they recently restored the church itself so that probably sucked up most of their funding.

My favorite parts of Corktown are the ugliest--where some old structures are (sometimes barely) preserved alongside commercial/industrial buildings erected in the 1950s-60s. Some of the coolest views are where the Richmond/DVP overpass nearly kisses adjecent buildings, like the Riverside Church or Lower Sumach. Looking at the bird's eye views you can see how this nabe was just ripped apart in the 60s. Bizarro world Cabbagetown.
[Click to enlarge]

bright.jpg

lowersumach.jpg

fee.jpg

wiklins.jpg

Attachments

• bright.jpg
    bright.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 552
  • lowersumach.jpg
    lowersumach.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 499