News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

As below, an annotated version of the last photo for your amusement:

wiklins2.jpg

Attachments

• wiklins2.jpg
    wiklins2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 486
Calling Corktown "bizzaro world" is perfect! There's no question that the DVP off-ramps have in some ways butchered the old neighbourhood, but it's also what gives it its character.

As for the Dominion pub, the food is shit and over priced, but the local beer on tap in incredible.

And as for the Streetcar developments, I'm all for these infill projects. I like the overall designs and think they'll compliment the area, and bring something nice to the streetscape *kinda hoping it's not Starbucks though.

However, does anyone know what was on the properties beforehand? Hopefully none of the old home were destroyed.

I have always been fascinated by this little part of Toronto. One place I have not been with my camera, but now I have some spring plans. Interesting info here. :)

Some of my favourite "bizarro" Corktown sights are the result of zany earthlings accommodating to the JG Ballard-esque concrete landscape: the small private parking lot on the north side of King nestled beneath the overpass; the two green cube homes on Sumach south of King with elevated traffic roaring past; the relentlessly Victorian gingerbread aesthetic of the doggy and pussy hospital nearbye, and the quirky meth. clinic / Little Trinity Church pairing near Parliament Street.

And as for the Streetcar developments, I'm all for these infill projects. I like the overall designs and think they'll compliment the area, and bring something nice to the streetscape *kinda hoping it's not Starbucks though.

Wait 'till they're built. Their cheap thrown-up-ness and inappropriate scale will not work wonders here. They're going to stand out like disgusting sore thumbs and dilute whatever charm is left.

However, does anyone know what was on the properties beforehand? Hopefully none of the old home were destroyed.

Unpretentious, honest, small-scale warehouses and industrial spaces. Which are now being replaced by pretentious, large-scale, faux warehouses. Hot.

I actually don't mind the look of most of the new Streetcar projects. It looks like they'll incorporate a lot of nice brick and glass, and fit in fairly well with the area. I'm not convinced on the townhouse portions of the development yet though. They may not be perfect, but I think as a whole they'll help revitalize an area that was ravaged by 60s development mistakes.

I actually don't mind the look of most of the new Streetcar projects. It looks like they'll incorporate a lot of nice brick and glass, and fit in fairly well with the area. I'm not convinced on the townhouse portions of the development yet though. They may not be perfect, but I think as a whole they'll help revitalize an area that was ravaged by 60s development mistakes.

x2. Streetcar's developments are a lot more sympathetic than condos in other nabes. And if there's one thing this hood could use, it's more bodies buying coffees and adding street life.

I don't think all Corktowners share sentiment with TKTKT.

As for the Dominion pub, the food is shit and over priced, but the local beer on tap in incredible.

I love that area, especially the way the leaning homes on Bright St meet the Dominion Pub and Savory Grounds across the street. It's a weird mashup of hip/historical/gritty. As for the Dominion Pub itself, I think it is fantastic. My greatest fear is that one day they will reno it and take out the dank linoleum charm. I agree the beers selection is fantastic. Regarding food, I had a trio of mini-burgers from the bar menu a month or two ago and I have to say they were pretty decent.

I love that area, especially the way the leaning homes on Bright St meet the Dominion Pub and Savory Grounds across the street. It's a weird mashup of hip/historical/gritty. As for the Dominion Pub itself, I think it is fantastic. My greatest fear is that one day they will reno it and take out the dank linoleum charm. I agree the beers selection is fantastic. Regarding food, I had a trio of mini-burgers from the bar menu a month or two ago and I have to say they were pretty decent.

Funny you should mention the burger trio - I agree they are pretty good. It's pretty funny that their normal burger stink though. The salads are terrible with watery dressing and the daily specials are gross and grossly over priced. I just wish they had a more regular pub menu with normal prices.

Wait 'till they're built. Their cheap thrown-up-ness and inappropriate scale will not work wonders here. They're going to stand out like disgusting sore thumbs and dilute whatever charm is left.

Unpretentious, honest, small-scale warehouses and industrial spaces. Which are now being replaced by pretentious, large-scale, faux warehouses. Hot.

Based on the projects I've seen from them so far, I doubt we'll be seeing cheap throw-ups. I think it's important we preserve the existing history in this part of the city, but also work with the modern quirks that have been added. The concrete highway exits that zoom over the community and the auto garages scattered around the 150 year old houses should play very well against modern warehouse living spaces. I love the designs of the Sumach and King buildings because they're not trying too hard. They work really well as subtle infill projects. They're not too gaudy, but also not totally boring. They will fit with the older warehouse design as well as the 60's concrete design. Also, the King / Sumach corner used to be a gas station, and the other Sumach space was a 1 story factory. I think these buildings are definitely better uses of space.

cork3tg4.jpg

cork2uo7.jpg

cork1hk8.jpg

569 reminds me a little of the new addition added to the Broadview Lofts, which I think looks incredible. I also think the larger scale of King Street should be continued past Parliment.

Last edited:
The only building with any built potential is 510 King. 52 Sumach and 569 King are going to be Pug Award contenders.

Not only are they awful, but with 4 of them being constructed at once - they'll single-handedly (4-handedly?) turn low-rise Corktown into mid-rise-faux-warehouse-town. The warehouses these replaced, while not large, would have made awesome starting blocks for conversions, like Broadview Lofts (which made use of as much of the original, real, warehouses while adding warehouse-y extensions.) Tearing down real warehouses to build fake ones is so depressing.

An added thought:
We really like old warehouses because of their patina of age, not because they have a particularly attractive form or style. Recreating warehouses out of new, ageless, material misses the point entirely.

Last edited:
Just a question, isn't part of this neighborhood in the West Don lands?

Just a question, isn't part of this neighborhood in the West Don lands?

Yes, is/was. I would now draw the Corktown/WDL border along the construction hoarding that runs from King to St Lawrence to Front to Cherry. The first phase of the WDL to be built is River Square, the northernmost section.

Re: TKTKT...arguing on the internet is an activity that benefits no one. Surely you must agree that Corktown already has many midrise warehouse style buildings.

The only time I see hipsters gather in any quantity is at Morning Glory.

As below, the lost buildings of Phase I (click to enlarge):

Corktown District.jpg

Attachments

• Corktown District.jpg
    Corktown District.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Re: TKTKT...arguing on the internet is an activity that benefits no one. Surely you must agree that Corktown already has many midrise warehouse style buildings.

Nothing as tall as what's being built, which are all within spitting distance of each other. The new buildings will tower over anything currently here.

re: arguing (?). It's a forum, it wouldn't be much of one if there were no discussions going on. Would you prefer that?

Back