News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Fresh & Wild is opening up in the new Distillery condo (Pure Spirits), so we've practically got one now. The small street front produce market idea is more of a pipe dream, you're probably right in thinking that they wouldn't open new ones anymore.

I think existing grocery stores do a reasonably good job of serving Corktown - the Regent Park No Frills, the QQ Loblaws, and the Leslieville/TFS Loblaws.

The Shoppers' Drug Mart at Queen & Parliament has a large selction of groceries, and is price-competitive with RABBA.

Of course, there's St. Lawrence Market as well

I think it's a very welcoming neighbourhood that should be an example for the rest of the city to follow - a methadone clinic functioning cheek by jowl with Little Trinity Church being but one example.

Fresh & Wild is opening up in the new Distillery condo (Pure Spirits), so we've practically got one now. The small street front produce market idea is more of a pipe dream, you're probably right in thinking that they wouldn't open new ones anymore.

Shame

UserNameToronto brings up a good point though, within a very close distance by car, foot, or transit are many grocery stores already. My hope with all the new development is that the increase in residents will bring more life and activity to the area. A couple more restaurants, pubs, and whatnot. I really like this neighbourhood, and considering its proximity to the Donlands, Distillery, and downtown I see lots of great things for the future.

We just need to get rid of all those unsightly auto and body shops that line King St.

UserNameToronto brings up a good point though, within a very close distance by car, foot, or transit are many grocery stores already.

Car and transit only really. The big grocery stores are all a bit too much of a hike by foot. The Metro on Front is the one I usually walk to in the summer - which takes about 20 minutes (at a good clip) from King & River.

The neighb could use more cheap-eats restaurants and take-out before it needs a grocery store though.

Car and transit only really. The big grocery stores are all a bit too much of a hike by foot. The Metro on Front is the one I usually walk to in the summer - which takes about 20 minutes (at a good clip) from King & River.

The neighb could use more cheap-eats restaurants and take-out before it needs a grocery store though.

Cheap eats that aren't Subway would be great, often I am craving a spur-of-the-moment <$10 meal to go, and end up just going to the Subway on Queen. Mr. Tasty is actually pretty good when I feel like neglecting my health, but more options are very welcome. The Sobeys at Front and Princess is really closer than I could ask for by foot, give or take 10 minutes for me. I guess after living in the suburbs for so long, anything that isn't a drive and that can walked to under 20 minutes is a luxury.

Cheap eats that aren't Subway would be great, often I am craving a spur-of-the-moment <$10 meal to go, and end up just going to the Subway on Queen. Mr. Tasty is actually pretty good when I feel like neglecting my health, but more options are very welcome. The Sobeys at Front and Princess is really closer than I could ask for by foot, give or take 10 minutes for me. I guess after living in the suburbs for so long, anything that isn't a drive and that can walked to under 20 minutes is a luxury.

I agree. The Dominion on Queen used to be quite cheap, but their menu has increased in quality and price as of late. When we go for cheapish food it's usually to the Burger Shoppe at Queen/Broadview. In spite of the 2 Savoury Grounds coffeeshops in the 'hood, I always cross the Don to get to the Dark Horse.

I think the fact that most Corktowners find themselves commuting westward into the downtown core, there are grocery options on three arteries (Front-Sobeys, King/Front-Metro, Queen-Shoppers').

This summer we had an organic produce bin delivered to our house on a weekly basis. I think I went to a full size Loblaws/No Frills only 4-5 times over the summer, using the bin and local options as a primary source.

UserNameToronto brings up a good point though, within a very close distance by car, foot, or transit are many grocery stores already. My hope with all the new development is that the increase in residents will bring more life and activity to the area. A couple more restaurants, pubs, and whatnot. I really like this neighbourhood, and considering its proximity to the Donlands, Distillery, and downtown I see lots of great things for the future.

We just need to get rid of all those unsightly auto and body shops that line King St.

At the corner of King / Sackville, across from the big pink auto body shop, a former auto body shop is turning into a restaurant. I have no idea what kind though. I just remember a city bylaw permit for rezoning was in the window in December, and they're starting to gut the place now.

Does anyone know what's going in there?

Hopefully something decent.

That was an amazing location. Only to get better!
Theres plenty of room for an awesome patio

At the corner of King / Sackville, across from the big pink auto body shop, a former auto body shop is turning into a restaurant. I have no idea what kind though. I just remember a city bylaw permit for rezoning was in the window in December, and they're starting to gut the place now.

Does anyone know what's going in there?

Hopefully something decent.

Wow, I had no idea. That's great news, the King St transformation continues.

UserNameToronto said:
I agree. The Dominion on Queen used to be quite cheap, but their menu has increased in quality and price as of late. When we go for cheapish food it's usually to the Burger Shoppe at Queen/Broadview. In spite of the 2 Savoury Grounds coffeeshops in the 'hood, I always cross the Don to get to the Dark Horse.

I think the fact that most Corktowners find themselves commuting westward into the downtown core, there are grocery options on three arteries (Front-Sobeys, King/Front-Metro, Queen-Shoppers').

This summer we had an organic produce bin delivered to our house on a weekly basis. I think I went to a full size Loblaws/No Frills only 4-5 times over the summer, using the bin and local options as a primary source.

Ah yeah, the Burger Shoppe, I've been meaning to try it out. I've been on a quest to find Toronto's best burger, I've had a strange craving lately. I'll have to try Dark Horse as well, right now when I get coffee it's either at Balzac's or (I know, I know) Starbucks. What's this organic produce bin delivery, and how could I go about looking into it? It sounds enticing.

I'll have to try Dark Horse as well, right now when I get coffee it's either at Balzac's or (I know, I know) Starbucks.

Dark Horse, on Queen just east of the Don (and thus technically not in Corktown), is excellent. Good coffee, great scones and nice staff. I have yet to try F'Coffee across the street but LOVE the name.

Starbucks in Corktown?

Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum. Has anyone heard of a Starbucks going in at one of the proposed Streetcar Development sites on King in Corktown? I've heard rumours...just wonder if anyone can confirm?
:rolleyes:

Wow, I had no idea. That's great news, the King St transformation continues.

Ah yeah, the Burger Shoppe, I've been meaning to try it out. I've been on a quest to find Toronto's best burger, I've had a strange craving lately. I'll have to try Dark Horse as well, right now when I get coffee it's either at Balzac's or (I know, I know) Starbucks. What's this organic produce bin delivery, and how could I go about looking into it? It sounds enticing.

Both BS and DH are worth the trip.

I have heard about a SB on the ground floor of one of the Streetcar developments, but nothing concrete. Savoury Grounds has two locations in Corktown and that might already saturate the area.

We use Plan B organic farms--$600 for ~5 months of a food bin delivered weekly with more than enough veg/fruit for a family of 4. There are other cheaper options too, such as the Good Food Bin which is considerably cheaper and has a depot at Dixon Hall (Sumach between King & Queen)

Back