News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If you look at a satellite map of Toronto there is HUGE potential for BRT's along the many Hydro right-of-ways (as I am sure most on this forum are well aware).

I can never understand why this potential isn't being exploited?
Two principal reasons:
1. hydro corridors by their nature usually involve a bit of a schlep to get to a stop given the limited accesses to such an area.
2. The hydro corridor isn't free - access to it comes at a price even before you create a paved way. The York U busway also required an unanticipated relocation of a gas main.

That notwithstanding I think more use of the corridors should be explored for express services, but the limits to the usefulness of this must be accepted.

I would not expect much from BRTs within 416. In many cases, the available corridors (hydro) do not run in the direction where most of riders want to go; while on-street implementations would be limited to one lane per direction and would have barely enough capacity to handle the existing demand.

York U busway is a nice exception within 416. It is quite useful at present, but will become mostly redundant once the subway opens.

In many parts of GTA outside 416, BRTs are the right solution for the current and expected passenger volumes.

I created this map a while back when this discussion came up in the past. These lines all run in existing hydro corridors and could, for a fraction of the cost of LRT, move a lot of people quickly and intersect with existing transit lines. There is plenty of opportunity for commuter BRT service that I think needs to be investigated further.
4786475122_2a2811255e_b.jpg

Last edited:
York U busway is a nice exception within 416. It is quite useful at present, but will become mostly redundant once the subway opens.

I would prefer to keep this (portion parallel to Finch) and extend it to Yonge - instead of the Phase 2 Finch LRT that was in OneCity. The hydro corridor is quite close to Finch along this stretch, and it would dip south of the reservoir to be even closer to Finch at Wilmington - one of the busier midblock stops. Also, LRT would probably have to use this corridor anyways from Bathurst to Yonge - or go underground which is very expensive. Just as using hydro corridors is a much less expensive option - not abandoning existing infrastructure is also financially wise.

Last edited:
There could also be elevated expressways for BRT, like maybe in the Don Valley close to the edges so it can also easily connect with surface level routes.

There could also be elevated expressways for BRT, like maybe in the Don Valley close to the edges so it can also easily connect with surface level routes.

I have always thought that there may be potential in a Gatineau Hydro Corridor-Bayview-Richmond/Adelaide BRT route, whereby express buses would serve an individual area of Scarborough, and then run express downtown. Dedicated ROW through the GHC, and then dedicated lanes for the rest of the stretch.

Either Bayview or the DVP, either works, although Bayview is probably easier to widen.

I would prefer to keep this (portion parallel to Finch) and extend it to Yonge - instead of the Phase 2 Finch LRT that was in OneCity. The hydro corridor is quite close to Finch along this stretch, and it would dip south of the reservoir to be even closer to Finch at Wilmington - one of the busier midblock stops. Also, LRT would probably have to use this corridor anyways from Bathurst to Yonge - or go underground which is very expensive. Just as using hydro corridors is a much less expensive option - not abandoning existing infrastructure is also financially wise.

This is a possibility.

But I'd rather extend Finch LRT to Yonge, so that riders from west of Keele do not have to transfer if they want to go to Yonge. The estimated cost of that LRT stretch is about $450 million, that's not so large compared to some other projects in the pipeline.

The width of Finch West is sufficient for LRT, except for the last 300 m just west of Yonge. That section and the interchange station would likely have to be underground if we go with LRT; that adds to the cost but will create a more convenient transfer.

In the longer term, the LRT on Finch proper and an express BRT in the hydro corridor might co-exist; but that makes sense only if that express BRT runs to Pearson.

Last edited:
I created this map a while back when this discussion came up in the past. These lines all run in existing hydro corridors and could, for a fraction of the cost of LRT, move a lot of people quickly and intersect with existing transit lines. There is plenty of opportunity for commuter BRT service that I think needs to be investigated further.

I think much of it makes sense, except the eastern section of the pink line. The eastern section of the pink line looks like a Danforth subway bypass. I would consider building the western section only, and sending the line to Kennedy subway station (assuming that the corridor through Scarborough is actually available and does not pose major construction challenges).

The green (or tile) line is Mississauga Transitway and is under construction already. The orange line (connection to Kipling subway) will certainly be useful.

The northern links (yellow and blue, through the Finch HC) might be useful, but that depends on the demand forecasts for the express services (Mississauga to North York, Durham to North York, North York to Pearson etc) that will be offered by those links. Note that they will partly compete with the 407 Transitway, and the latter will run at a much higher speed (100 - 110 kph on the highway versus 60 - 70 kph in the hydro corridor, not counting stops).

Mississauga Transitway (under construction) doesn't use hydro corridor exclusively as space was preserved along the north side of Eglinton between Eastgate and Renforth.

A transitway is also being planned along Highway 407. Other than connecting the Mississauga and 407 Transitways, I don't see the need for more of these kind of bus only roads. They would be mostly beneficial for regional transit rather than local, and GO doesn't need two crosstown corridors so close together (Finch vs 407). Not alternative to light rail.

I think the focus should be BRTs and LRTs on-street to serve existing transit corridors, except in case where ROW already exists at the side of the street, such as along Eglinton Ave in Etobicoke, which would allow for a fully grade-separated BRT/LRT line at a low cost.

Mississauga Transitway (under construction) doesn't use hydro corridor exclusively as space was preserved along the north side of Eglinton between Eastgate and Renforth.

A transitway is also being planned along Highway 407. Other than connecting the Mississauga and 407 Transitways, I don't see the need for more of these kind of bus only roads. They would be mostly beneficial for regional transit rather than local, and GO doesn't need two crosstown corridors so close together (Finch vs 407). Not alternative to light rail.

I think the focus should be BRTs and LRTs on-street to serve existing transit corridors, except in case where ROW already exists at the side of the street, such as along Eglinton Ave in Etobicoke, which would allow for a fully grade-separated BRT/LRT line at a low cost.

They're at the pre-construction stage for new townhouses at Eglinton Ave. W. & Widdicombe Hill Blvd., on the lands just above Eglinton and west of Kipling.

They're at the pre-construction stage for new townhouses at Eglinton Ave. W. & Widdicombe Hill Blvd., on the lands just above Eglinton and west of Kipling.

Does this count as great news to those in favour of a median Eglinton LRT from YYZ to Kennedy (i.e. Transit City and OneCity advocates)? This is showing that development is already starting thanks to the LRT.

Or, is it bad news to those who favour a grade-separated LRT from YYZ to STC since this is removing some land that could be used to cost effectively grade-separate the line through the Richview Corridor?

Does this count as great news to those in favour of a median Eglinton LRT from YYZ to Kennedy (i.e. Transit City and OneCity advocates)? This is showing that development is already starting thanks to the LRT.

Or, is it bad news to those who favour a grade-separated LRT from YYZ to STC since this is removing some land that could be used to cost effectively grade-separate the line through the Richview Corridor?

It should be bad news for everyone as townhomes is not the type of development that Transit City called for along its corridors. All the plans envisioned midrise development with retail.

Unless new side streets and mews with townhomes were created off of the midrise retail street where TC is supposed to go in addition.

Even before Transit City, there was the Eglinton Subway. Plus this part of the corridor (as most of Eglinton West) has been part of The Avenues plan for a long time. That the city would allow townhouses here, and blocking the potential ROW for the LRT, is pretty sad, but I guess not surprising.

Transit City-style light rail was probably not the optimal choice for Eglinton, considering (apparently former) availability of the Richview Corridor and the expense of building a tunnel to accommodate overhead wires. But the city seems to be doing it's best to justify (this very specific version of) light-rail, even it means fast-tracking low-density, single-use development instead of preserving the land for transit and high density, mixed uses.

It should be bad news for everyone as townhomes is not the type of development that Transit City called for along its corridors. All the plans envisioned midrise development with retail.

The LRT "caused" this development in the sense that Rob Ford pushed to have the Richview land sold, in the hope it would keep the LRT out of his beloved Etobicoke.

(Or that's my theory anyway. But maybe he's not smart enough to hatch this plan by himself.)

Back