News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm really shocked at the high number of adults in Alberta without high school educations. Almost 50% of adults in High Level never graduated from high school?!? How is this not major emergency for the provincial government?

There's a staggering level of inequality in this province. There's a lot more going on here than just Facebook misinformation.
When I was working at cnrl horizon a married couple on my crew from Nova Scotia didn’t have education beyond 8th and 6th grades. 6th grade was making $42/hr and 8th grade making $30/hr.

Didn't go out to a bar, but walking Aurora between 10 and 11:30 was the first time it's felt like a normal Friday night in a year and a half. People are going wild.

I'm really shocked at the high number of adults in Alberta without high school educations. Almost 50% of adults in High Level never graduated from high school?!? How is this not major emergency for the provincial government?

There's a staggering level of inequality in this province. There's a lot more going on here than just Facebook misinformation.
Alberta ranks third among provinces when it comes to High School graduation levels at 89.9%, just slightly behind BC 91.4%, and Ontario 90.6% The rest of the provinces in Canada are a fair bit lower, especially the Maritime provinces. The booming economy from 2004 to 2015 put a damper on high school graduations as jobs were plentiful, so we'll see how the stats shake out as time goes on. I bet a lot more students in Alberta have stayed in school the past 5 years due to the economy.

Those numbers may be only Alberta residents and not anyone working in Alberta. As @Mountain Man said, up north you see a lot of people working who don't high school educations, but also most of those people aren't from Alberta. In my time working in Northern Alberta most people I met that didn't have high school educations came from the Maritimes, or from a small remote community somewhere in Que, or Ontario.

In the case of High Level, it's an extremely remote community, and the levels of high school graduations are low, but not different than other remote communities anywhere in Canada. It's a crisis facing Canada really.

Last edited:
Alberta ranks third among provinces when it comes to High School graduation levels at 89.9%, just slightly behind BC 91.4%, and Ontario 90.6% The rest of the provinces in Canada are a fair bit lower, especially the Maritime provinces. The booming economy from 2004 to 2015 put a damper on high school graduations as jobs were plentiful, so we'll see how the stats shake out as time goes on. I bet a lot more students in Alberta have stayed in school the past 5 years due to the economy.

Those numbers may be only Alberta residents and not anyone working in Alberta. As @Mountain Man said, up north you see a lot of people working who don't high school educations, but also most of those people aren't from Alberta. In my time working in Northern Alberta most people I met that didn't have high school educations came from the Maritimes, or from a small remote community somewhere in Que, or Ontario.

In the case of High Level, it's an extremely remote community, and the levels of high school graduations are low, but not different than other remote communities anywhere in Canada. It's a crisis facing Canada really.
Those numbers were from 2011. At that time the number of high school kids not finishing was on the upswing due to the raging economy, but as you say, after 2015 the numbers probably changed again. It'd be interesting to see where they are in 2021.

It's less surprising when you think of the older population; someone in their early 70s would have been in high school in the early 1960s, when you could enter the workforce with a lot less education than today. (The figure below is the 2016 Census; No diploma is less than high school; certificate in the figure below are all the diplomas, certificates, apprenticeships and so on that involve post-high school education but less than a Bachelor's degree.)

1624301042232.png

It's also important to consider that the population in High Level today is not the population that went to high school in High Level. People move, and people with more education have higher mobility. The Bay Area doesn't have so many programmers because everybody who goes to school there learns programming, it brings in programmers from across the world.

The other thing, and it speaks to inequality, is that Indigenous Albertans are much more likely to have less than a high school education (29% vs. 13%). If you've seen the news in the last month, this is indicative of a profound failing of our education system. I'm all for education, but if I had a kid going to a school with unmarked graves in the yard, I'd want them out of there as soon as possible.

Mask bylaw in place until at least July 5th - it will come back to Council then.
I can't help but think this mixed messaging is going to lead to a lot of public friction and resentment. The province is saying everything back to normal (except long term care situations) on July 1. City of Calgary is going to wait a few more days before they review the mask mandate again. In the meantime, bars, restaurants and stores are gearing up for full capacity starting July 1. I guess that means, bar owners can allow people in to their establishment with no physical distancing but if people are not sitting down eating & drinking, they have to wear a mask? Once again, it will be left up to business owners to police this and at the same time, putting staff crossways with their customers. If we thought the anti-mask protests were intense before, wait until the general public at large jumps on that bandwagon after July 1.

Business is worried as they should be. They will be on the front line of this confusion and public discontent. It was only a couple of weeks ago in Georgia, a retail clerk was shot and killed by a disgruntled customer who objected to being asked to put his mask on. Yeah I know, that was in the 'gun crazy' U.S. However Canadians are just as capable of any form of violence and abuse, to people who are just doing their jobs. Even now, 15 months into the pandemic, we can't get all levels of government on the same page to manage this re-opening. Ridiculous!

I think the city made the right call, Kenny is definitely rushing the reopening.
He definitely actioned things like the governor of Texas or Florida did.
Yet, I remember seeing that full baseball stadium in Arlington on April 5th and saying 'What are they thinking? ... it is too soon .. there is going to be serious consequences from this'. Many Canadians are pointing to large scale events happening all over the U.S. in the last couple of months and saying ... Why not here?.

Back