News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I see a ton of Airbnb about to hit the longer term rental market. Given most major events and travel squashed. I’m already seeing the ads coming on.

I think ultimately all construction will cease if the situation continues for more than a few weeks (which it is certain to do).
This cannot happen. There will be lots of consultations and shared lessons to make construction possible in this environment. Things might be different - slower but more projects. Projects divided up into non mixing zones. More and larger hoists so there can be less people in each one.

This is going to likely be long which is precisely why projects need to keep going.

Institutions have already been asked to prepare project lists. Every one will progress as much and as fast as possible with designs being complete, materials ordered and stockpiled, and as much physical work progressing as possible. Then when public health allows it the entire sector will come back at more than full steam all at once providing a cash injection into the economy to get us as close to our previous productive capacity as before.

If things stop, the loss of velocity of money in the economy will be staggering. Avoiding this is worth almost any cost to the government.

The numbers I'm watching are the hospitalizations. Currently there are 6 hospitalizations in Alberta and 3 of them are in the ICU. According to Global, Alberta apparently has 477 respirators and 50 more are supposedly on order (who knows what the status of those orders will be). According to Shandro, we've apparently tested about 1 out of every 290 Albertans, which he claims is the most out of any jurisdiction in North America. If he's correct, hopefully that means that our 119 cases are accurate. I'm a little worried that COVID is far more widespread in BC and Ontario than the case numbers reflect.

The numbers I'm watching are the hospitalizations. Currently there are 6 hospitalizations in Alberta and 3 of them are in the ICU. According to Global, Alberta apparently has 477 respirators and 50 more are supposedly on order (who knows what the status of those orders will be). According to Shandro, we've apparently tested about 1 out of every 290 Albertans, which he claims is the most out of any jurisdiction in North America. If he's correct, hopefully that means that our 119 cases are accurate. I'm a little worried that COVID is far more widespread in BC and Ontario than the case numbers reflect.
Yes I agree with that measure. The ratio of hospital cases to total number is pretty low compared to elsewhere. That means most of the cases must be mild and patients are being treated and sent home to quarantine. Even if the the number of cases in Alberta increased by 10X, and the hospitalization ratio stayed the same ... it is far from overwhelming the health care system. We do seem to be tracking differently than other jurisdictions

Good numbers to watch. One only has to look at Italy to see what happens when the health care system gets overwhelmed. I feel lucky that Canada has been for the most part proactive on this. I still run across people who think it's ,mostly hype, and my response to them is, it's better to get ahead of it, rather than take drastic measures when it's too late.

The ratio of hospital cases to total number is pretty low compared to elsewhere.
Younger cases, which probably is another positive indication we are catching many more cases in Alberta that are being missed elsewhere.

Old stats from yesterday I think (it is down right now for the daily update I think)
1584657485732.png

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-viruses-and-bacteria-why-isnt-it-everywhere

Bill Keevil, a professor of environmental healthcare at the University of Southampton in England who has previously received funding from the Copper Development Association, said that if copper surfaces were put in communal areas where many people gather, it could help reduce the transmission of respiratory viruses, like coronavirus 229E and also SARS-CoV2. Other than hospitals, he thinks the ideal locations for copper are public transportation systems, like buses, airports, subways.

This is pretty interesting. I wonder if it could lead to resurgence in architectural presence, specifically anywhere people would put their hands. Does anyone know what techniques could be used to prevent rusting? I imagine it doesn't hold up as well, or long term as stainless steel.

Maybe this is my experience only, but I'm running across a fair number of seniors who aren't taking this seriously. Weird considering their the ones who would be most affected.
I've seen it a couple of times. Both times with older relatives who don't use the internet very much, and I'm not sure how much they watch the news. My uncle was shocked that his favorite pub was closed. I also have a aunt who was planning on going swimming with her swim group, and was surprised when it was cancelled. This was only yesterday. Her words were 'I had heard we were supposed to go on with our lives and not panic' Obviously she hadn't heard all of the other stuff. :(

Maybe this is my experience only, but I'm running across a fair number of seniors who aren't taking this seriously. Weird considering their the ones who would be most affected.

Yeah, I noticed it too. It's kind of shocking!

I phoned up a couple of my elderly neighbors the other day to see if they needed anything, and they kind of laughed it off as if it was just the flu going around. It's just the flu, like a lion is just a cat.

My elderly mom, who is usually a very smart woman, was brushing it off last week as “just a flu”. She’s always been a constant hand washer. Felt fine to keep going out and about. I couldn’t convince her otherwise, and I live far from her. So I have resorted to telling on her to my sister, who is a doctor. Maybe she can talk some sense into her.

I came across another instance of an elderly person not concerned at all about it. A friend of my mother's has been out and around shopping in the malls as early as this morning and was complaining to my mother about some of the stores being closed, her words.... 'half the stores are closed, I don't know why the big fuss?'' ?

Back