News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

So the NE LRT shared path was relatively bustling this morning. Quite the scene crossing 95 St with 7 other cyclists on the walk signal. Hopefully showing people that cycling in Edmonton is very doable.

Not sure about today but yesterday our office bike parking was quite full. This too hot weather is not deterring cyclists.

City administration has also proposed to close 97 Avenue east of 110 Street to drivers. This closure would cut off one vehicular access point to the High Level Bridge from the neighbourhood, and connect Constable Ezio Faraone Park to the Ribbon of Steel shared-use path. The current design involves two right-turn slip lanes intersecting with the shared-use path.

Coincidentally, Budnick said the Edmonton Bike Coalition was leading a tour through Wîhkwêntôwin earlier this month to discuss the proposal when participants watched a driver hit a cyclist who was crossing the street at that exact spot.

“This is a very busy city park, so (the proposed closure is) a good opportunity to really massively increase safety at common conflict points,” Budnick said.

City administration has also proposed to close 97 Avenue east of 110 Street to drivers. This closure would cut off one vehicular access point to the High Level Bridge from the neighbourhood, and connect Constable Ezio Faraone Park to the Ribbon of Steel shared-use path. The current design involves two right-turn slip lanes intersecting with the shared-use path.

Coincidentally, Budnick said the Edmonton Bike Coalition was leading a tour through Wîhkwêntôwin earlier this month to discuss the proposal when participants watched a driver hit a cyclist who was crossing the street at that exact spot.

“This is a very busy city park, so (the proposed closure is) a good opportunity to really massively increase safety at common conflict points,” Budnick said.

Regarding the elimination of that vehicle access point from 97 Avenue to the high level bridge, both options the city is proposing for this particular section of roadway involve closure to cars so that only people using active transportation can pass through. I was a bit surprised that one of the options wasn't to continue to allow vehicle access here. I love it. When asking one of the city consultants about why the closure is the only option being presented, he said the proposal fits with what the city has envisioned for the high level bridge, but couldn't elaborate at this time.

One of the biggest concerns I saw from people regarding this neighbourhood renewal plan, which is quite good, is reduction of parking. For instance, the David Thompson building doesn't haven't any visitor parking and so relies fully on street parking and using public land.

All I know for sure is that bombing down the ribbon of steel after work will be much more enjoyable with the removal of this intersection!
Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 9.33.46 AM.png

Both options have slightly janky options heading west but overall the plan for the neighbourhood is exciting. It'll be interesting to see how much goes through because I feel like Wihkwentowin/Oliver will set the bench mark of what's possible in the city.
Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 9.37.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-07-12 at 9.36.49 AM.png

^ Like that idea a lot. Do wonder about traffic volumes though, 97 ave to get to 110th is a pretty busy route for those getting into SE Wihkwentowin albeit a left turn signal on 109 and 99 ave probably solves that problem.

^ Like that idea a lot. Do wonder about traffic volumes though, 97 ave to get to 110th is a pretty busy route for those getting into SE Wihkwentowin albeit a left turn signal on 109 and 99 ave probably solves that problem.
It would be a viable and reasonable option.

There is so much parking along 111th in the form of surface lots and parkades. I wonder if any of them would be made more public/useable for visitors? Must be capacity for 1000+ vehicles across these lots. Does that church rent theirs out during weekdays?

FD949935-9F52-4B2D-B3FB-A5E1E087C154.jpeg

Back