News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

To be clear, IIRC, the claim was for cyclists into the core from all directions vs vehicles down the DVP.

The DVP is used by around 70,000 cars per direction between Bloor and Don Mills on weekdays. That's twice as much as the number of people who bike to work in the entire city of Toronto (just under 35,000 according to the 2016 census).

^ The 2016 data is out of date. And the category I stated was "commute during rush hour". The numbers I've seen inasmuch as make the case, but I'm looking for the actual link. Btw: DVP is decreasing, and cycling continues to increase quite dramatically. I also stated "time and conditions apply" (gist). As well as the obvious point on needed bike network, it also makes one on the need or not for continuing the Gardiner East elevated section.

From the Jan 17 agenda of the Infrastructure and Environment Ctte

A new report on making the Richmond, Adelaide and Simcoe Cycle Tracks permanent.

The report recommends permanency.

It also approves shifting the Adelaide lanes to the opposite side of the street.

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2019/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-123288.pdf

Its also important to note the dedicated left turn proposals for motor vehicles (not bicycles). One of the biggest complaints I have heard is motorists getting frustrated that only 1 or 2 cars can turn each light cycle which means they get aggressive and create dangerous situations for pedestrians and cyclists. By reducing this frustration I expect it to be much more civil.

...I wonder how many cyclists will actually follow the law which will permit this civil behavior?

University especially needs an advanced left - the volumes of vehicles making that turn makes a lot of drivers do dangerous things like turning left from the middle lane, and it causes back-ups since Adelaide is only 2 lanes from condo construction until Simcoe St along the south side.

University especially needs an advanced left - the volumes of vehicles making that turn makes a lot of drivers do dangerous things like turning left from the middle lane, and it causes back-ups since Adelaide is only 2 lanes from condo construction until Simcoe St along the south side.

I don't disagree with a left turn phase, but I'd make it a lagging left, which might help clear the Adelaide/Simcoe intersection better. It would also preserve the advance walk signal at University

The DVP is used by around 70,000 cars per direction between Bloor and Don Mills on weekdays. That's twice as much as the number of people who bike to work in the entire city of Toronto (just under 35,000 according to the 2016 census).
The 2016 data is out of date. And the category I stated was "commute during rush hour". The numbers I've seen inasmuch as make the case, but I'm looking for the actual link. Btw: DVP is decreasing, and cycling continues to increase quite dramatically. I also stated "time and conditions apply" (gist). As well as the obvious point on needed bike network, it also makes one on the need or not for continuing the Gardiner East elevated section.

Data from last September pegged the peak number of cyclists per day using Richmond and Adelaide lanes at 6,160 — more people than flow through some TTC stations. In the morning and afternoon rush, more commuters now bike in and out of downtown on the roads than drive them.
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...de-bike-lanes-cruising-toward-permanence.html

@Neutrino (I think it was who asked on this.)

Last edited:
More cyclists use the western portion of Richmond and Adelaide than cars do - that is all the star article is saying. Far more people drive in and out of downtown every day overall than cycle.

"City staff also recommend replacing flexible post barriers with raised concrete barriers like those on Sherbourne St." Need this ten times over on all the other death- bike lanes.

More cyclists use the western portion of Richmond and Adelaide than cars do - that is all the star article is saying. Far more people drive in and out of downtown every day overall than cycle.
Here's the exact quote:
In the morning and afternoon rush, more commuters now bike in and out of downtown on the roads than drive them.
What you claim may or may not be incidental to that.

"City staff also recommend replacing flexible post barriers with raised concrete barriers like those on Sherbourne St." Need this ten times over on all the other death- bike lanes.
That is one of the more important pieces of info, although it's only a minority of us who realize the incredible importance of that. It's the only way that changing the lane on Adelaide to the north side has any hope of being half-way safe. The turns are still going to be fraught with danger...and I say that as a very well seasoned distance and internationally experienced cyclist. Frankly, I'm against the change, but open to see what infrastructure changes are made to mitigate the increased danger. Done by the Dutch, Danes or even progressive US cities, it could work. I've seen so much bad infrastructure in Toronto that I'm a justified skeptic. The 'Green Boxes' in many cases are accidents waiting to happen. They're predicated on the assumption that motorists (and cyclists) comply with an algorithm and protocol that complies with logic. Remove that compliance, and the consequences can be devastating.

I'm a little puzzled though by the reference to "Sherbourne St". I'd call that a curb, not a "raised concrete barrier"...the latter of which is absolutely needed. The immediate problem with lanes being on the north side of Adelaide is that motorists have an ingrained (if that) sense to look for bikes over the other shoulder/in the other mirror, and won't check for them on the left. A raised curb a la Sherbourne or Roncy won't deflect them if they veer left w/o looking. A "raised concrete barrier" will.

Last edited:

Back