News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Tiny saddle = less contact. It's not a bad thing. You should try it. I ride both road and hybrid, and my road saddle is much more comfortable. Of course, it depends on what you're doing. That's the joy of biking, so many possibilities, so many styles of bike
lol...and it all depends on how large or small your touche is. It's not size that makes your saddle comfortable, it's the shape and fit. Having had many Brooks, Wrights, Selle, Middlemore and some French and Italian leather saddles for half a century and more, I've long ago learned it's like a pair of well made leather shoes. The larger, the more you trip on them, but the better they fit your size, the more able they are after a year or so of sweat and body oil (hindered by modern padded shorts, btw) and thousands of kms, to fit you exquisitely. But even within the same manufacturer (Say a Brooks Swallow vs a Swift) that are identical sizes, nuances in how the sit bones and perineum mate with them is crucial. If you're sitting on your glutes, you're wasting the largest muscle in your body.
I am okay with this given the special one-way-streets situation we are in -- as long as the conflict points are significantly improved during this year's reconstruction (this time with concrete curbs -- yay!).
I remember we were discussing the 'concrete curbs' as being a requisite a year or so back, your partner had agreed. Excellent to see it becoming the case...*especially* two way lanes on a one way street. It still throws me...

Last edited:

^
In My Opinion: Community meetings have inspired number of actions in Beaches-East York
April 4, 2019
By BRAD BRADFORD

BEACHES-EAST YORK COUNCILLOR
[...]
I’ve met with dozens of you to start the process for improving the Woodbine bike lanes, and have had the support of our business improvement areas and community associations to find innovative solutions to increase pedestrian safety.

On that note, I’m excited to announce that we’re bringing Canada’s first Vision Zero pop-up to Woodbine and Danforth for a weekend this summer! This unique initiative will show the rest of Toronto what happens when we design streets with safety in mind. I think it will also help demonstrate for the rest of the city the kind of local leadership we have in Beaches-East York. [...]
https://www.beachmetro.com/2019/04/...pired-number-of-actions-in-beaches-east-york/

From this link:

8db4-Scarlett-Rd-map-1-500x916.png

95b6-Scarlett-x-section-crop2-768x228.jpg

8dbe-painted-bike-lane-barrier-1-768x538.jpg

Bridge and Road Improvements
  • Replacement of the railway bridge above Scarlett Rd and the addition of one northbound lane and one southbound lane under the bridge for a total of two lanes in each direction.
  • Lowering of Scarlett Road to allow large vehicles and trucks to pass underneath the bridge.
  • Improved sidewalks under the bridge and at the intersections at Scarlett Road and Dundas Street West and Scarlett Road and St. Clair Avenue West.
  • Addition of second northbound left turn lane on Dundas Street West and future bike lanes added on both sides of Dundas Street West.
  • New southbound left-turn lane from Scarlett Road to Dundas Street West.
  • New traffic control signal at Gooch Avenue and Dundas Street West and new left-turn lane from Dundas Street West to Gooch Avenue.
  • Road widening for future dedicated bike lanes on Dundas Street West and Scarlett Road.
  • New landscaping and public art.
  • The City is now moving forward with approved plans to reconstruct the bridge and reconfigure the intersection.
This complex design work has taken longer than we anticipated and is still ongoing.

Initial utility relocation work may start late 2019, followed by several years of construction, schedule subject to change.

Further details will be provided and following the April Public Meeting, details below.

Public Consultation Meeting
Join us for an opportunity to view information materials, see a presentation, and speak with the project team.
Date: Monday, April 29, 2019
Time: Drop in 6:30 to 9 p.m.. Presentation at 7 p.m.
Location: Lambton Park Community School, 50 Bernice Cres., Wheelchair accessible
This meeting was requested by local Councillor Frances Nunziata who will be in attendance alongside Councillor Gord Perks.
Scarlett Road Bridge Update will also be presented at this April 29 meeting.

That's illogical.
This is one of the worst pieces of infrastructure ever installed in this city. Confusing design. Zero significant usage. Asinine lane in front of Woodbine subway station and the bus loop. A student could not have done it more by the book and with less “feel”.

I think the city needs to give itself a good shake on bike lanes. How so much money could be spent to achieve so little is beyond me.

This is one of the worst pieces of infrastructure ever installed in this city. Confusing design. Zero significant usage. Asinine lane in front of Woodbine subway station and the bus loop. A student could not have done it more by the book and with less “feel”.

I think the city needs to give itself a good shake on bike lanes. How so much money could be spent to achieve so little is beyond me.

The City's bike infrastructure design standards do indeed suck and are indeed in need of reassessment, but it's just not true that these (or other) bike lanes are expensive.

Last edited:
The City's bike infrastructure design standards do indeed suck and are indeed need of reassessment, but it's just not true that these (or other) bike lanes are expensive.
My point wasn’t the cost really, but rather for having spent money; How could such a shit result be achieved? Bicycle traffic signals everywhere. Lines everywhere. But seriously...a lane between a sidewalk and a parked car? What? So I can get doored by a clueless passenger? Has anyone ever driven north on Woodbine from Danforth to O’Conner? The northbound lane should be a sharrow in front of Woodbine subway station - taxis and Uber will stop there. This is confusing. Then the rest of the road is like a ski slalom course. Then at O’Conner, the west to south lane bike lane has the indentation in the sidewalk, but the north to east lane bulges out and forces you into the car lane. Who the f*ck designs this shit? This board is littered with designs from Europe and Holland in particular. What on earth do we have to spend so much money and time designing? Can’t we just use the design principles from elsewhere? Why does Toronto have such a not-invented-here-mindset?

Also - with the shift of the lanes due to the bike lanes, the crown of the road is in the wrong place.

End rant.

Last edited:
My point wasn’t the cost really, but rather for having spent money; How could such a shit result be achieved? Bicycle traffic signals everywhere. Lines everywhere. But seriously...a lane between a sidewalk and a parked car? What. So I can get doored by a clueless passenger? Has anyone ever driven north on Woodbine from Danforth to Oconner? The northbound lane should be a sharrow in front of the station - taxis and Uber will stop there. This is confusing. Then that the rest of the road is like a ski slalom course. Then at Oconner, the west to south lane bike lane has the indentation in the sidewalk, but the north to east lane bulges out and forces you into the car lane. Who the f*ck designs this shit? This board is littered with designs from Europe and Holland in particular. What on earth do we have to spend so much money and time designing? Can’t we just use the design principles from elsewhere? Why does Toronto has such a not-invented-here-mindset?

Also - with the shift of the lanes due to the bike lanes, the crown of the road is in the wrong place.

End rant.

Aaaand breathe.

Hidden at the end of the media release of Thursday’s subway transit upload is a note about the Province changing or reviewing rules around bicycles and Ebikes. Could be interesting.

ebikes - powered. Need a license. :) Good. Silent killers and idiots in bike lanes. Get a license and be prepared to be held accountable to the rules of the road if you have an e-bike.

Reactions: DSC

Back