News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It also passed a generic motion directing Transportation to come up with ways to accelerate 10-year capital plan Vision Zero and cycling infrastructure projects. I wouldn’t hold my breath for that, but some of the other projects specifically approved in that other motion are great (the genuinely long Shuter cycle track, the Shaw calming changes, and the Bloor-to-Kensington contra flow changes are my personal favourites).

The article below is from London, UK. What an example for our city. Aggressive plans to expand/improve cycling and walking space with a modeled impact of 10x more cycling and 5x more walking in London!

The article below is from London, UK. What an example for our city. Aggressive plans to expand/improve cycling and walking space with a modeled impact of 10x more cycling and 5x more walking in London!

1588630045786.png

Toronto is obviously the latter. We barely build protected bike lanes, We barely expand pedestrian space, we slowly build transit. And we encourage driving. We're slow, and we're not taking any risks to public infrastructure. We put cars first in infrastructure projects, that's the problem. We'll only see change with fresh minds and bold ideas.

I've been cycling more often since the start of the pandemic for transportation and exercise as the gyms are closed. It has reminded me of how little progress has been made on transportation-oriented pedestrian and cycling infrastructure under both the Ford and Tory administrations. Tory's government has even struggled with removing lanes of traffic to expand downtown sidewalks for social distancing, which is a no-brainer when there's next to no traffic nowadays.

I've been cycling more often since the start of the pandemic for transportation and exercise as the gyms are closed. It has reminded me of how little progress has been made on transportation-oriented pedestrian and cycling infrastructure under both the Ford and Tory administrations. Tory's government has even struggled with removing lanes of traffic to expand downtown sidewalks for social distancing, which is a no-brainer when there's next to no traffic nowadays.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Tory can't remove road lanes and parking because then he couldn't go anywhere.

I was being sarcastic, given the number of people who park cars in bike lanes.
It’s the police cars parked in bike lanes for non-emergency (no lights flashing) stops that make me the most annoyed. We can’t expect Joe Public to adhere to the rules if those who enforce them don’t.

The fix for that is easy, hardened edges with rigid bollards to block all traffic, including emergency vehicles from the bike lanes.

I was biking on the trails this sunday and its painfully obvious that we need these kinds of paths in the trails. Especially ones like the Railpath/Beltline/York trail/hydro corridors. Ones that can be used as "bike highways"

1588700339752.png

Its a nightmare having to try and navigate through pedestrians and until we do this kind of setup they don't serve any sort of advantage for bikes.

He takes the subway to work. I see him on it sometimes.

Yeah, to me, Tory's problem isn't as much that he's out of touch (though he is) as it is the particular brand of "leadership" that he has developed, which essentially seeks on every issue to locate two emerging poles of a debate and to swim right up the middle. The key problem with this is it relies entirely on the establishment of those two extremes, regardless of where they sit on the "good public policy" spectrum.

So if the established pole at one end is the Toronto Sun editorial board (as it quite often is), then the apparent centre of the debate has been automatically pulled to some combination of the right, and/or crazy, and/or harmful, and the newly emerged "middle ground" represents bad policy, half measures, or both.

Yeah, to me, Tory's problem isn't as much that he's out of touch (though he is) as it is the particular brand of "leadership" that he has developed, which essentially seeks on every issue to locate two emerging poles of a debate and to swim right up the middle. The key problem with this is it relies entirely on the establishment of those two extremes, regardless of where they sit on the "good public policy" spectrum.

So if the established pole at one end is the Toronto Sun editorial board (as it quite often is), then the apparent centre of the debate has been automatically pulled to some combination of the right, and/or crazy, and/or harmful, and the newly emerged "middle ground" represents bad policy, half measures, or both.

I agree, though.......

I would add that I feel like Tory's impulse is towards incrementalism; and timidity on most files.

You then over-lay that with a misguided sense of where the good policy spectrum lies...........and voila! There is found our Mayor.

Back