News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Raised bicycle lanes would be better. And get the sewer grates off the bicycle lane, they become potholes after a few years.

raised-curb.jpg

From link.

There are Green P lots mostly over the roofs of Line 2, on the north side of Bloor Street and Danforth Avenue.

Unless you mean parking for the bicycles... then they should definitely add more bicycle parking spots.
I was being sarcastic, given the number of people who park cars in bike lanes.

They should put those concrete blocks along every bike lane in the city that is currently just painted lines on the road.
They would need a buffer, and there are some specific contexts where it may be difficult. but yes, I wish the city made all-new bike lanes with the concrete buffer, but they don't. Bike lanes are really good parking spots!

They should put those concrete blocks along every bike lane in the city that is currently just painted lines on the road.

You are, of course, 100% correct. The reason they don't, as Layton alluded to in the replies, is Transportation Service's (outdated, obtuse) design standards with respect to minimum bike lane width and winter snow clearing.

To any reasonable human being who actually cares about protecting cyclists, those are both eminently surmountable problems, but this is a perfect (and sad) illustration of the auto-bias of Transportation that holds back so much progress in this city. Layton indicated that this "pilot" (I feel stupid even writing that) will be a cudgel to use in moving them off that position.

You are, of course, 100% correct. The reason they don't, as Layton alluded to in the replies, is Transportation Service's (outdated, obtuse) design standards with respect to minimum bike lane width and winter snow clearing.

To any reasonable human being who actually cares about protecting cyclists, those are both eminently surmountable problems, but this is a perfect (and sad) illustration of the auto-bias of Transportation that holds back so much progress in this city. Layton indicated that this "pilot" (I feel stupid even writing that) will be a cudgel to use in moving them off that position.

Lets add removing Barbara Gray to the list of management changes needed in Toronto.

How about we hire Janette Sadik-Khan as director transportation services?

Then, give Andy Byford back his old job at TTC, at the expense of Rick Leary (he of the Service Reliability (reduction) improvements)

I could list a few others, but these are on point for this thread.

New Rule: To hold any of the top 3 jobs in Transporation or at TTC, you may not own a car.

Lets add removing Barbara Gray to the list of management changes needed in Toronto.

Then, give Andy Byford back his old job at TTC, at the expense of Rick Leary (he of the Service Reliability (reduction) improvements)

New Rule: To hold any of the top 3 jobs in Transporation or at TTC, you may not own a car.

Barbara Gray is one of the most pro-pedestrian and pro-cyclist managers of Transportation Services that TO has had in recent times. She isn't the problem here, and should be kept.

Up until she arrived, transportation services refused to add crosswalks to Spadina at Lakeshore, Bremner/Fort York, and Front because they would create more congestion. Today, all 3 have been installed without much of a fight. It's been over 10 years of trying to get these.

Barbara Gray is one of the most pro-pedestrian and pro-cyclist managers of Transportation Services that TO has had in recent times. She isn't the problem here, and should be kept.

Up until she arrived, transportation services refused to add crosswalks to Spadina at Lakeshore, Bremner/Fort York, and Front because they would create more congestion. Today, all 3 have been installed without much of a fight. It's been over 10 years of trying to get these.

I'm pleased those things happened. I was hopeful when she arrived.

But she's overseen the City's non-action on Vision Zero.

There's been no serious road diets; bike lanes are getting put in like molasses still, even when the local Councillors are supportive, there's not even a systematic plan to remove channelized right-turns. Its being done ad hoc.

The standard against which I measure Ms. Gray is her ability to get what needs doing, done.

That means running with political support when you have it; mobilizing the requisite support for key improvements when you don't; setting ambitious plans in motion, and actually making them happen.

So far, on that score, her reign has been almost as appalling as any of her predecessors.

Perhaps, she'd done a bit better at the margins, or mouths the right words; but I measure by outcomes, so far, so meh.

Last edited:
I'm pleased those things happened. I was hopeful when she arrived.

But she's overseen the City's non-action on Vision Zero.

There's been no serious road diets; bike lanes are getting put in like molasses still, even when the local Councillors are supportive, there's not even a systematic plan to remove channelized right-turns. Its being done ad hoc.

The standard against which I measure Ms. Gray is her ability to get what needs doing, done.

That means running with political support when you have it; mobilizing the requisite support for key improvements when you don't; setting ambitious plans in motion, and actually making them happen.

So far, on that score, her reign has been almost as appealing as any of her predecessors.

Perhaps, she'd done a bit better at the margins, or mouths the right words; but I measure by outcomes, so far, so meh.

None of this is her fault. Her hands are tied by the mayor and council. The role is more people manager than anything. Transportation planning is (unfortunately) largely political in this city. She was able to bring the idea of Vision Zero here, but implementation has been stalled by politics.

None of this is her fault. Her hands are tied by the mayor and council. The role is more people manager than anything. Transportation planning is (unfortunately) largely political in this city. She was able to bring the idea of Vision Zero here, but implementation has been stalled by politics.

A good bad example of political interference with cycling and pedestrian upgrading is Councillor Stephen Holyday (Ward 2, Etobicoke Centre, and Deputy Mayor). This article is from July of 2019, see link.

...Despite their benign ubiquity, Councillor Stephen Holyday (Ward 2, Etobicoke Centre) moved a motion on Tuesday to amend the city’s road-safety plan to give local councillors a possible veto over new sidewalks, allowing them to take objections to the city’s infrastructure committee. Holyday said some residents in his ward who don’t have sidewalks are happy without them and don’t want them...

I liked Jennifer Keesmaat as the city planner. Her replacement doesn't seem to be as passionate.

I liked Jennifer Keesmaat as the city planner. Her replacement doesn't seem to be as passionate.
That is unfair to Gregg Lintern. You can't exactly expect anyone to replace Keesmaat's presence on social media. Which for the record, was one of the main complaints lobbied against her as Chief Planner (which was a warranted complain seeing as she launched herself into a mayoral campaign).

I am glad though that she energized the public to be concerned with urban planning issues within the city. Maybe we should have councillors and mayors who care about these issues as much as City Planners?

What's the chance of this happening in the next 5 years.

IMO, pretty good chance for any cycling infrastructure that is finished an EA by June or doesn't require an EA.

Stimulus appropriate shovel ready projects for Toronto will probably be dominated by street resurfacing, sidewalk repair, and similar maintenance like items. Anything that can be started in the 2021 construction year and finish in 2023 will be a strong candidate.

The remaining piece is will a Ford government apply for funds for these projects; I think he might if they are presented as generic street rebuilds.

Last edited:

Back