News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Jeez the westbound corner of Dundas and River is becoming deadly. Just today I was in my car, in the correct car lane, waiting to turn right and a car thought I was waiting to turn left so raced into the unprotected bike lane and almost crashed into me as I was turning right.

This corner just needs more curb extended River St. to protect cyclists and to make it clear where the right turn lane is for cars. Whom I should ask to get this fixed pronto? Someone will die here otherwise.
This intersection is getting worse. If you try to wait your turn in your car to turn right onto River you're bound to have another car come up your right side and clip you.

I'm excited about Allen closing for biking and cycling. It always seemed like an awkward roadway. Not long enough to be useful to traffic flow, but just long enough to wreck the urban fabric.

Maybe it's our next big linear green way? Rail Deck Park North?!--wait...

@Northern Light pls make it happen

Last edited:
I'm excited about Allen closing for biking and cycling. Maybe it's our next big linear green way? Rail Deck Park North?!--wait...

I'd like to think I have a little bit of stroke in this town...........

But I'm afraid to tell ya........not quite that much! LOL

With any luck, it will happen anyway!

I'm excited about Allen closing for biking and cycling. It always seemed like an awkward roadway. Not long enough to be useful to traffic flow, but just long enough to wreck the urban fabric.

Maybe it's our next big linear green way? Rail Deck Park North?!--wait...

This was studied under Miller. Or at least supposed to have been studied. I think the study was completed and shelved IIRC.

That's it. Thanks!

I'm surprised decking the Allen and putting housing (and bike lanes) isn't back on the table with the crazy home prices right now. If Councillors are serious about the affordability issue, there is plenty of space above the Allen to put housing.

That's it. Thanks!

I'm surprised decking the Allen and putting housing (and bike lanes) isn't back on the table with the crazy home prices right now. If Councillors are serious about the affordability issue, there is plenty of space above the Allen to put housing.

I doubt very much you will see the Allen 'decked'.

I think you'll see the subway ROW decked.

Allen Road, I expect, will come out completely (great spot to dump fill from downtown towers!); you'll see an at-grade road, a linear park system, and housing on the balance.

Of course, those details are TBD.

The project will return...........in time.

I doubt very much you will see the Allen 'decked'.

I think you'll see the subway ROW decked.

Allen Road, I expect, will come out completely (great spot to dump fill from downtown towers!); you'll see an at-grade road, a linear park system, and housing on the balance.

Of course, those details are TBD.

The project will return...........in time.
FWIW, I emailed Tory about this. Maybe a few others also could do this and the city may a reason to look at this again.

This kinda flew under the radar since we were so smitten with Phase 2 being complete, but in December the TRCA gave us an update on Phase 1 of the East Don Trail Expansion. Arguably a much more important trail as it connects the Gatineau Hydro Corridor trail to the rest of the trail system.

Phase 1 Construction Update​

December 15, 2020

November was a celebration month for the East Don Trail team, as we hit a milestone with the completion of Phase 2. Although minor works are underway for this segment (including site furnishing and installation of railings), public access to the multi-use trail was opened on November 5.

While we were approaching the completion of Phase 2, the construction team was also continuing to work diligently on portions of Phase 1 to ensure we stay on schedule.

Since the last project update, Phase 1 has significantly advanced. Four out of the five temporary bridges have been dismantled and shipped off-site. It can take up to a full week to dismantle one temporary bridge, and takes three trailers to move it off-site.

temporary East Don Trail bridge being transported off-site by a tractor trailer
Temporary bridge being transported off-site.
Installation and decking have been completed for the five planned permanent bridges. Other works, including fencing and grading at bridge ramps, still remain.

A contract has been issued to retain a consulting engineering firm to complete detailed design, including permits and approvals, for the future tunnel and bridge over the Metrolinx rail line. Construction for this piece is planned to commence in fall 2021, pending receipt of permits and approvals.

Similar to Phase 2, Phase 1 will also feature an elevated boardwalk connecting two bridges. The fundamental infrastructure is in place, with metal decking and fencing underway.

metal decking on a portion of the East Don Trail
Metal decking on boardwalk.
In order to construct the planned-multi use trail, construction areas were cleared to allow for the access of large vehicles and equipment. These cleared areas are now being restored in sections of Phase 1 where the trail has been paved or completed.

Restoration work includes topsoil placement and terraseeding, with plantings to be completed in 2021.

Installation of the granular base from Taylor Creek to the future Metrolinx tunnel and Bermondsey Road to the future pedestrian crossing over the Metrolinx rail line has been completed.

Final paving has been completed from the north side of bridge 3 (view map) to the west end of the future pedestrian bridge over the Metrolinx rail line, adjacent to Flemingdon Park Golf Club.

construction staff terraseeding a portion of the Eatst Don Trail
Metric construction staff terraseeding.
There are a few items that are to be completed by the end of this year for Phase 1 including:

1. Installation of railings on the boardwalk between bridges 2 and 3 (view map), including resting nodes and benches which are located between the future Metrolinx rail line crossings
  2. Commenced design for the future tunnel and bridge over the Metrolinx rail line
The completion of Phase 1 is planned for the end of 2021. This end date is conditional on completion of design, tendering, and construction of the proposed tunnel and pedestrian bridge over the Metrolinx rail line.

Unfortunately, that will only happen sometime next year. There's just a lot of work including watermain and streetcar track work.

These are just the first installations of the year. There will be another batch of projects in summer, and another in the fall/winter. Expect more projects like these this year.

Winona Dr (contraflow),
Wellington St,
The Esplanade/Mill,
Rathburn (Martin Grove-East Mall)
College St Stub (Bellevue-Borden)
Monarch Park/Woodfield (Contraflow)
Victoria Park (Danforth-Donside)
St. Clair/O'Connor (protected intersection?)
and the Ellesmere Multi-use trail (Markham Rd - Military Trl)
Meadoway/Highland Creek Trail connections

and more we don't know yet
But yes I agree, it's a lot less than where we should be.

Hope the City creates a map showing all of this.

Back