News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

One of my neighbours gave me the 2022 Toronto Cycling Map. I now have THREE of them but am not sure which is the most recent! None seem to have dates anywhere (though one has a (c) 2019 which may mean it's the 2019 one) Adding proper clear dates is something the cycling folk @ City Hall might want to remedy for 2023!!

Last edited:
Before Covid and the spread of “temporary” bikes lanes, it was very rare to find any road in Toronto that had both a separated bike lane and a streetcar track WITHOUT another lane dedicated for cars/trucks. I can‘t think of one.

Anyone know of any?

Last edited:
Roncesvalles kinda has bike lanes, it's only at the streetcar stops but that is the only place I can think of before the pandemic that has them, plus the on street parking basically made the street 2 lanes for all users.

Roncesvalles kinda has bike lanes, it's only at the streetcar stops but that is the only place I can think of before the pandemic that has them, plus the on street parking basically made the street 2 lanes for all users.
We really need to get rid of on street parking on main roads. Build Green P lots.

Installation of the Cycle Tracks on Danforth from Dawes to Victoria Park is well underway.

1655299497720.png

Photo from Toronto Cycling Unit on Twitter

* Cross-post to the Eglinton Connects thread *

Meeting/Presentation/Survey now up for 'EglintonTOday'

Presentation:

https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/984b-eglintontoday-publicmeeting1-presentation.pdf

Survey:

https://s.cotsurvey.chkmkt.com/?e=275148&h=A3CB91DC173FAA5&l=en

From the Presentation:

1654630328987.png

1654630468020.png

Project to include some parklets, some streetscape enhancement, additional Bikeshare Stations, provision for CafeTO

Overall this reads as a complete street (mostly) based on what is deemed do-able w/o road reconstruction (unless otherwise scheduled)

Overall, its good progress, but I would rather see some of the parking, some travel lanes (cars) omitted and jersey barriers added to better protect cyclists.
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't the original Eglinton Connects anticipate a rebuild of the street with cycle tracks in the boulevard? I would be able to confirm but as is typical with the city they just remove all the previous documents from public access and essentially just say a study was done but provide none of the materials. I was looking forward to seeing some streetscape improvements and get them done, but this seems way less ambitious. I'm also struggling to understand why they need to study this so much just to put bike lanes.

Edit: Here is an example of the type of quality that was previously proposed with a Eglinton Connects report I was able to cobble through a google search that was hosted on the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) website (https://www.cip-icu.ca/Files/Awards/Planning-Excellence/Eglinton-Connects-Final-Report-Volume-2.aspx). Shame,
1655303182908.png

1655303101981.png

Last edited:
Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't the original Eglinton Connects anticipate a rebuild of the street with cycle tracks in the boulevard? I would be able to confirm but as is typical with the city they just remove all the previous documents from public access and essentially just say a study was done but provide none of the materials. I was looking forward to seeing some streetscape improvements and get them done, but this seems way less ambitious. I'm also struggling to understand why they need to study this so much just to put bike lanes.

Edit: Here is an example of the type of quality that was previously proposed with a Eglinton Connects report I was able to cobble through a google search that was hosted on the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) website (https://www.cip-icu.ca/Files/Awards/Planning-Excellence/Eglinton-Connects-Final-Report-Volume-2.aspx). Shame,

You are correct, and much of that is still contemplated; but its being tied to road reconstruction, which the City has deferred to 2027 and beyond.

You are correct, and much of that is still contemplated; but its being tied to road reconstruction, which the City has deferred to 2027 and beyond.
fair enough if that is the plan. The information on EglintonToday's web portal and the notice I received made no mention of it so I was concerned, but if it's a matter of creating an interim solution that will be upgraded over time that would make sense.

Finally, 'they' seem to be ready to get tenders for LOWER DON TRAIL

clear.gif
This is a secure site
bnr-constserv2.jpg

Tender
ecblank.gif
Solicitation
number:
Doc3489780251
Commodity:Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:Lower Don River Trail Improvements
Posting Summary

The project comprises improvements to the central portion of the Lower Don Trail over an approximate distance of 2 kilometers.

Sloped Pathway from Riverdale Pedestrian Bridge to the Lower Don Trail, Dundas Staircase connection to trail and Lower Don Trail reconstruction with increased width and new fencing from Belleville Underpass (north of Riverdale Bridge) to the Bala Underpass (entrance to Corktown Common). Accessibility improvements to the Riverdale Pedestrian Bridge from Riverdale Park East and Integrated art on new paving south of Belleville Underpass. The north limit of the work is 80 m south of Belleville Underpass and the south limit of the work is the Trail intersection going to the Bala Underpass.

Public Posting: http://discovery.ariba.com/rfx/13312598

**All relevant information and documents are posted on the City of Toronto online procurement system SAP ARIBA.

--------------------------------
Issue date:June 15, 2022
ecblank.gif
Closing date:July 13, 2022
at 12:00 Noon
Pre-bid meeting:The mandatory site meeting is Wednesday June 22, 10 am at St. Matthew’s Clubhouse at the south end of Riverdale Park East, and is located at 450 Broadview Avenue. We will meet outside this structure and will walk through the park to the Riverdale pedestrian bridge and down the stairs to the Lower Don Trail. Once on the Trail we will head north to see the sloped path construction area and the integrated art component locations and then head south to Dundas street bridge and the proposed staircase. This is the bidder’s opportunity to ask questions and understand conditions and constraints. Please arrive ready for meeting at least 10 minutes prior to start.

Refer to the Information Bulletin for the components of the scope prior to the Mandatory Site Meeting. See the image in the site visual materials for this transition. The site continues along the trail approximately just over 2 kilometres south to the entrance of Corktown Common. The Mandatory Bidder’s Meeting will not cover the full distance of trail improvements and it is expected that all bidder’s have accessed the site to familiarize themselves with the conditions throughout the project limits and the site conditions and constraints.

Attachments

• 1656120276623.png
    1656120276623.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 1656120283755.png
    1656120283755.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 64

Back