News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Palmerston and Gladstone are happening at the same time.

Has anyone been by Gladstone at Queen lately to see if they have actually (finally) started rebuilding that stretch, following the opening of the Dufferin Underpass, what, over a decade ago?

Wellington will be the other big downtown installation this year I believe, converting it to a bi-directional lane from King / Douro to Peter. Why they didn't just do that a few years ago when they installed the lanes on Wellington and Douro in the first place...

Has anyone been by Gladstone at Queen lately to see if they have actually (finally) started rebuilding that stretch, following the opening of the Dufferin Underpass, what, over a decade ago?

Last time I was by, which was about two weeks ago, they had not yet begun.

The Palmerston stretch is done from Bloor to Harbord.

The various cycling items just passed Council:

1658353857635.png

Here's the full Etobicoke Greenway Motion that passed:

1658353972535.png

Fantastic! I'm really quite puzzled why it's taken decades for such an obvious no-brainer to materialize...
No, this was just an amendment to continue "exploring" the use of the hydro corridor.

Staff did audits and keep arguing that there isn't enough clearway between hydro towers or backyards to fit a 3.5m multi-use trail, which is absolute nonsense. I mean we are talking about a hydro corridor that is over 100m wide!

1658371291056.png

I mean there are so many hydro corridor trails in the city that have much less ROW compared to this. Heck we were planning to run a damn train here. Good lord staff need to stop making excuses.

No, this was just an amendment to continue "exploring" the use of the hydro corridor.

I think {though he can speak for himself) that @Towered was just pleased at the appearance of political traction around this idea.

Staff did audits and keep arguing that there isn't enough clearway between hydro towers or backyards to fit a 3.5m multi-use trail, which is absolute nonsense. I mean we are talking about a hydro corridor that is over 100m wide!

View attachment 414975
I mean there are so many hydro corridor trails in the city that have much less ROW compared to this. Heck we were planning to run a damn train here. Good lord staff need to stop making excuses.

Staff are currently looking in some detail at the Warden Hydro Corridor for a Trail, it is nowhere near as wide.

Clearly there is ample room for a trail here, there are legitimate arguments to be made about relative demand and the cost of traffic signals to cross roads etc.

That is not to diminish support for this trail, which I am supportive of............

But I always have patience for a well formulated argument about the use of scarce resources.

The notion this corridor is not wide enough for a trail is, however, completely claptrap.

Attachments

• 1658423342601.png
    1658423342601.png
    403.4 KB · Views: 51
I rode the new bike lanes on Havelock and Gladstone today and have some thoughts and some pics.

Southbound on Havelock at Dufferin Park, there's a pinch point. I guess the cars on the left are parked illegally? Some enforcement may be needed to keep the contraflow lanes from being taken over by oncoming traffic here:
PXL_20220722_230411483.jpg

Modal filter!
PXL_20220722_230528023.jpg

Diagonal diverter looking westbound on Lindsey toward Dufferin:
PXL_20220722_230651434.jpg

Looking north on Gladstone:
PXL_20220722_230720925.jpg

I think there are still some pavement markings to be added on Gladstone, but it looks about 75% done.

Overall, some very nice improvements. But the biggest issue was that the pavement quality on Havelock is terrible, especially from Bloor to Dufferin Park. Tons of giant potholes that could send an inattentive cyclist over their handlebars. I hope there is a resurfacing planned soon for this section.

I rode the new bike lanes on Havelock and Gladstone today and have some thoughts and some pics.

Southbound on Havelock at Dufferin Park, there's a pinch point. I guess the cars on the left are parked illegally? Some enforcement may be needed to keep the contraflow lanes from being taken over by oncoming traffic here:
View attachment 415359

Modal filter!
View attachment 415358

Diagonal diverter looking westbound on Lindsey toward Dufferin:
View attachment 415357

Looking north on Gladstone:
View attachment 415356

I think there are still some pavement markings to be added on Gladstone, but it looks about 75% done.

Overall, some very nice improvements. But the biggest issue was that the pavement quality on Havelock is terrible, especially from Bloor to Dufferin Park. Tons of giant potholes that could send an inattentive cyclist over their handlebars. I hope there is a resurfacing planned soon for this section.

The parked cars; certainly appear to be parked up to and over a 'stop line'............unless that's being removed, no way that's legal.

Back