News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Anyone know the situation with the College street reconstruction in regards to bike lanes? I walk by the street (although don't look closely). It appears that the streetcar track reconstruction went speedily and at the same time I see no sign of bike lane upgrades. The whole project is supposed to wrap up this month. Are they on track to complete the cycling infrastructure?

Anyone know the situation with the College street reconstruction in regards to bike lanes? I walk by the street (although don't look closely). It appears that the streetcar track reconstruction went speedily and at the same time I see no sign of bike lane upgrades. The whole project is supposed to wrap up this month. Are they on track to complete the cycling infrastructure?

I rode the stretch past McCaul a few days ago and noticed they had painted the double-stripe line, otherwise known as the buffer, that the City puts down before it lays the curbs (which always tend to follow some undetermined length of time after the paint).

Here's a quest I've found myself pondering... with the topography of Toronto being what it is, assuming we had a complete and usable network of bike infrastructure, how much use would it see?

I don't mean that in a concern trolling way to try to tear down bike infrastructure, I am a full supporter of the concept. Maybe it's because I only ever bike recreationally so maybe it'd get easier if I did it on a daily basis, but after 15 seconds on a hill I feel like I'm about to die. Toronto has a dramatic change in elevation from the south to the north, the most obvious places are areas like the streets along the Lake Iroquois shoreline (Bathurst or Dufferin north of Davenport) but a lot of the streets south of Bloor/Danforth qualify, Woodbine, Greenwood, Coxwell, etc. Looking at elevation profiles of the city on Google Earth and I get puffed out just sitting in my chair! I would think that my own personal abilities would restrict me to more local trips on relatively flat ground, like many east to west streets.

I have watched Not Just Bikes' video on cycling in Switzerland and while it indicates that the hills don't seem to discourage cycling there's no hard statistics given, the kind of grades they deal with, how long they are, what the total modal share is, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? Experiences?

Caveat that I live in a relatively level part of the city, but I would say two things: one, it gets easier with practice, two, e-bikes are going to be a game changer for those with hilly commutes. Bike Share is going big on e-bikes and I suspect that these bikes will be a real gateway drug for casual users.

Here's a quest I've found myself pondering... with the topography of Toronto being what it is, assuming we had a complete and usable network of bike infrastructure, how much use would it see?

I don't mean that in a concern trolling way to try to tear down bike infrastructure, I am a full supporter of the concept. Maybe it's because I only ever bike recreationally so maybe it'd get easier if I did it on a daily basis, but after 15 seconds on a hill I feel like I'm about to die. Toronto has a dramatic change in elevation from the south to the north, the most obvious places are areas like the streets along the Lake Iroquois shoreline (Bathurst or Dufferin north of Davenport) but a lot of the streets south of Bloor/Danforth qualify, Woodbine, Greenwood, Coxwell, etc. Looking at elevation profiles of the city on Google Earth and I get puffed out just sitting in my chair! I would think that my own personal abilities would restrict me to more local trips on relatively flat ground, like many east to west streets.

I have watched Not Just Bikes' video on cycling in Switzerland and while it indicates that the hills don't seem to discourage cycling there's no hard statistics given, the kind of grades they deal with, how long they are, what the total modal share is, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? Experiences?
My commute is north south (as far north as Bloor) and I don't think about the elevation at all. It would be different if I was commuting north of Dupont, in which case I would get an ebike.

Uber and Lyft need to take responsibility for all of their drivers in the bike lanes. Any driver who pulls into a bike lane should be penalized by Uber and Lyft.
The city needs to allow citizen enforcement. Expecting Californian tech companies to give a shit about inconveniencing cyclists is a pipedream.

The city needs to allow citizen enforcement. Expecting Californian tech companies to give a shit about inconveniencing cyclists is a pipedream.

The city needs to mandate it as a condition of licencing. I know a programmer who believes it's possible to program the app so it detects when a driver is parked in a bike lane. The app should make it so that the driver doesn't get paid if they park in a bike lane.

If these companies don't make such changes, they won't get to operate here.

Last edited:
The city needs to mandate it as a condition of licencing. I know a programmer who believes it's possible to program the app so it detects when a driver is parked in a bike lane. The app should make it so that the driver doesn't get paid if they park in a bike lane.

If these companies don't make such changes, they won't get to operate here.
It is much simpler and more direct to just ticket them! Motor vehicle in the bike lane at any time for any reason = ticket.

Ahem.

I am told that HONI has agreed to the Finch Hydro Corridor Trail project, again.......

From Pharmacy to Birchmount, and that it will be moving ahead this coming year.

More cycling news soon! :)

Ahem.

I am told that HONI has agreed to the Finch Hydro Corridor Trail project, again.......

Great news!

My only complaint is still why this trail wouldnt continue all the way to Victoria Park or even Gordon baker Rd.

Ahem.

Hmmm, surprisingly quiet response to this, except for @robmausser ......

Maybe people aren't that interesting in cycling after all.............. LOL

I’m honestly in wait-and-see mode when it comes to funding and projects. Quite concerned about a potential rug-pull.

I think my info is pretty solid; ;)

I've also got a few more tidbits to share.

Nothing is ever 'in the bag' til its done; subway tail tracks have been filled back in before.....

I was more just noting it was an insanely quiet day for comment here at UT yesterday, both that post and my big dump of info in the Therme/OP thread drew unusually muted response.

Last edited:
Hmmm, surprisingly quiet response to this, except for @robmausser ......

Maybe people aren't that interesting in cycling after all.............. LOL

I think this section of trail/bikeway on the Finch corridor is not so "oooooo" worthy until they close the gap from Pineway Blvd to Pharmacy Ave.

But that would require bridging both the Richmond Hill GO Line and the 404.

But its an important step in getting the full Finch corridor bikeway across the entire north of the city.

Back