News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think this section of trail/bikeway on the Finch corridor is not so "oooooo" worthy until they close the gap from Pineway Blvd to Pharmacy Ave.

But that would require bridging both the Richmond Hill GO Line and the 404.

But its an important step in getting the full Finch corridor bikeway across the entire north of the city.

FWIW, the intent is absolutely there to take the trail across the City, but the more complex and expensive bits will have to wait as they would chew up a huge portion of the Cycling unit's budget to deliver just one project.

Because of the low priority given to cycling in Toronto...

From link.

A little bike lane maintenance

img_3178.jpeg

img_3179.jpeg

https://videopress.com/v/G6oEnhPd

Ok, next couple of tidbits:

Cycle Paths for Bathurst, Sheppard to Steeles will go to consultation early next year (tentatively); construction is set for 2024, if Council approves.
Low opposition is hoped for here, for reasons that will make @robmausser particularly happy, the proposed plan is the new cycle path to be in the boulevard (which also means no lane reduction for cars).

The newly opened section of boulevard bike path on Steeles Avenue East is actually Mx, not the City from a capital project point of view, its tied to the Steeles Grade Separation. However, the City already has approval in place to extend this, as a boulevard to the east, and hopes to do so in 2023.

Rosedale Valley Road Trail upgrades are on next year (2023's) to-do list, and should be quite dramatic, including improved access to/from Wellesley Park.
Not yet included is access up through the cemetery lands to Bloor, but that is under consideration as a phase 2, with the cemetery being open to some kind of arrangement. Further discussion required.

The Glen Road bridge project is slightly behind, and may slightly delay the Rosedale Valley work, but is unlikely to be a huge factor, TBD.

More news later.

Great news!

My only complaint is still why this trail wouldnt continue all the way to Victoria Park or even Gordon baker Rd.

I think this section of trail/bikeway on the Finch corridor is not so "oooooo" worthy until they close the gap from Pineway Blvd to Pharmacy Ave.

But its an important step in getting the full Finch corridor bikeway across the entire north of the city.

Yeah, the Pharmacy-Vic Park omission is kinda baffling, though I do remember it being mushy when I walked it 5 years ago, I believe there were pockets of wetland in there. They were home to red-winged blackbirds that were attacking me while I rushed by. Maybe environmental approvals are making them shy?

2017-06-24_1.jpg

I can see the delay over the 404 though. You can't exactly erect a bridge under the hydro lines unless you have the clearance, plus you're going to have to negotiate with Seneca for the approach on the west side. Alternatively, there is a green open space block from Seneca, behind houses on Sexton Crescent to McNicoll. Probably MTO lands for drainage / expansion of the 404 though.

2019-03-24_19.jpg

I can see the delay over the 404 though. You can't exactly erect a bridge under the hydro lines unless you have the clearance, plus you're going to have to negotiate with Seneca for the approach on the west side. Alternatively, there is a green open space block from Seneca, behind houses on Sexton Crescent to McNicoll. Probably MTO lands for drainage / expansion of the 404 though.

2019-03-24_19.jpg

Things are brewing.............

1670529980641.png

Just a bit further off here.....

Ahem.

I am told that HONI has agreed to the Finch Hydro Corridor Trail project, again.......

From Pharmacy to Birchmount, and that it will be moving ahead this coming year.

More cycling news soon! :)
Very nice! Any news on the Yonge street crossing? I’ve read some interesting documents from the City of Toronto that they are still looking for a permanent location for the crossing.

Very nice! Any news on the Yonge street crossing? I’ve read some interesting documents from the City of Toronto that they are still looking for a permanent location for the crossing.

No news from me; but I can make inquiries in the new year.

Ok, next couple of tidbits:

Cycle Paths for Bathurst, Sheppard to Steeles will go to consultation early next year (tentatively); construction is set for 2024, if Council approves.
Low opposition is hoped for here, for reasons that will make @robmausser particularly happy, the proposed plan is the new cycle path to be in the boulevard (which also means no lane reduction for cars).

The newly opened section of boulevard bike path on Steeles Avenue East is actually Mx, not the City from a capital project point of view, its tied to the Steeles Grade Separation. However, the City already has approval in place to extend this, as a boulevard to the east, and hopes to do so in 2023.

Rosedale Valley Road Trail upgrades are on next year (2023's) to-do list, and should be quite dramatic, including improved access to/from Wellesley Park.
Not yet included is access up through the cemetery lands to Bloor, but that is under consideration as a phase 2, with the cemetery being open to some kind of arrangement. Further discussion required.

The Glen Road bridge project is slightly behind, and may slightly delay the Rosedale Valley work, but is unlikely to be a huge factor, TBD.

More news later.

Really great news. Thanks!!

Would love to see the city do a study on all boulevard cycle path opportunities. York Mills comes to mind as a great opportunity for example.

Really the best option for the north of Toronto: lots of boulevard space and drivers up there are not so good around bicyclists. Not to mention that the roads are designed for high speed (another issue altogether, but I do not like sacrificing bicyclists safety to slow down cars, its a bit of an oxymoron if you ask me, I am a biker not a speed bump.)

FWIW, the intent is absolutely there to take the trail across the City, but the more complex and expensive bits will have to wait as they would chew up a huge portion of the Cycling unit's budget to deliver just one project.
Yes I agree, but we should do all the cheap bits first, because it creates incentivization to do the last expensive pieces to "connect all the dots"

Really great news. Thanks!!

You're welcome.

Would love to see the city do a study on all boulevard cycle path opportunities. York Mills comes to mind as a great opportunity for example.

I can tell you right now how the on-road stuff is working, its mostly, being doubled-up with major road resurfacing or road reconstruction projects.

Its more cost-effective and it allows the Cycling and Pedestrian unit dibs in every aspect of the road's layout (within the ROW).

Cycling is still pursuing other opportunities (like extending Danforth/Bloor) even when there is no associated road work, but if they can, they're integrating it with major projects.

The study for a bridge over the RH line is anticipated to wrap up by spring last time I checked (slipped from end of year).

Time to sneak in another tiny tidbit:

The Meadoway segment from Bermondsey to Eglinton is on the 2023 work plan, all going well.

That's about a 500M segment. The plans include a traffic light to cross Eglinton and the Crosstown tracks.

Time to sneak in another tiny tidbit:

The Meadoway segment from Bermondsey to Eglinton is on the 2023 work plan, all going well.

That's about a 500M segment. The plans include a traffic light to cross Eglinton and the Crosstown tracks.
Very interesting. A few years ago, Crosslinx was pushing back at the new traffic light here due to operational impacts (and thus, contractual issues - slower trains = financial penalties)

Back