News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Just drove along Bloor, only to find a significant stretch of it down to 1 lane in each direction from Prince Edward all the way to South Kingsway, lined with construction pylons. Of course I immediately started grumbling to myself, "Oh god, WTF are they doing now????", clearly exasperated by the relentless construction projects in this city, but...upon closer observation, I noticed that new line markings seemed to indicate lane shifts to accommodate new bike lanes. Could this finally be the first phase of the Bloor bike lane extension west to Etobicoke?!?!? I forget how many years I've waited for this in frustration as a frequent cyclist.

Now if only they'd do something for Dundas...

Just drove along Bloor, only to find a significant stretch of it down to 1 lane in each direction from Prince Edward all the way to South Kingsway, lined with construction pylons. Of course I immediately started grumbling to myself, "Oh god, WTF are they doing now????", clearly exasperated by the relentless construction projects in this city, but...upon closer observation, I noticed that new line markings seemed to indicate lane shifts to accommodate new bike lanes. Could this finally be the first phase of the Bloor bike lane extension west to Etobicoke?!?!? I forget how many years I've waited for this in frustration as a frequent cyclist.

Now if only they'd do something for Dundas...

That is what you were seeing.

Not sure if this has been posted previously (I'm a bit new to this thread), but for those cycling in Scarborough, the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail map has not been updated to show the 'Kingston Road Trail'. Although very short (only 200 m between Lakehurst Dr and Glen Everest Rd), it is a definite improvement vs riding busy Kingston Road.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 6.19.09 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 6.19.50 AM.png

IMG_5885.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

Not sure if this has been posted previously (I'm a bit new to this thread), but for those cycling in Scarborough, the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail map has not been updated to show the 'Kingston Road Trail'. Although very short (only 200 m between Lakehurst Dr and Glen Everest Rd), it is a definite improvement vs riding busy Kingston Road.

View attachment 505796
View attachment 505797
View attachment 505798

View attachment 505799
Nice!

Drove along Bloor again yesterday - bike lanes now painted on the north side, and work had shifted to the south. Can't wait to see the concrete blocks arrive, and then they can start on the next section (though knowing how this city operates, months will go by with nothing done rather than continuous work until project completion).

Also, I'm sure car commuters will have fits of rage once they realize this section of Bloor will only be two lanes instead of four from now on...

Also, I'm sure car commuters will have fits of rage once they realize this section of Bloor will only be two lanes instead of four from now on...
Can’t wait! Perhaps we can inform them there’s a faster mode of transit directly following that route. Forgive them for not realizing, I mean it’s only been there for what – 50 years?

Another correction to the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail map for those cycling in Scarborough. Not shown is the bicycle lane, eastbound on Kingston Road between Wood Glen Road and Haig Avenue (in front of the Hunt Club).

Unfortunately there is no designated bicycle lane westbound and you must ride in a vehicle lane (as per the map).

As someone who regularly cycles from Cliffcrest to The Beach and back, this section of Kingston Road can be quite busy and traffic often exceeds the 40 km speed limit.

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 6.34.42 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-13 at 12.04.37 PM.png

Looking east from Wood Glen Road.
IMG_6221.jpeg

Bicycle lane on the eastbound side only.
DJI_0044-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Drove along Bloor again yesterday - bike lanes now painted on the north side, and work had shifted to the south. Can't wait to see the concrete blocks arrive, and then they can start on the next section (though knowing how this city operates, months will go by with nothing done rather than continuous work until project completion).

I actually had lunch with a friend yesterday who lives near there. He's a major cyclist and commutes to work downtown, but is really annoyed by the bike lanes. I was actually pretty surprised! Though it seems he was mostly annoyed on behalf of his wife who had been stuck in traffic, and is not a major cyclist like he is.

Do you know where the cycle path will continue at that west end of Wellington? The straight arrow makes me think it would lead into Clarence Square but I believe the paved path there is aligned with the north sidewalk of Wellington.
im pretty sure it just ends. the spadina crossing is getting new bike signals though

Just rode the new Douro/Wellington bike lanes from Shaw to Portland. Didn't manage to get any pics, but what a nice ride! My only gripe is that there are a few utility covers that are too low, hopefully something that can be adjusted after the fact?

Back