News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Hey maybe the province could chip in to do it the right way if they are truly interested in lowering traffic without taking lanes....
What I wish the province had done a decade ago was to enact Ontario wide regulations for bike lanes. Same as we have provincial regs for curb height and the rest of the HTA. https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/020239

I would have made two regs out of the gate: First, bikes lanes cannot take away vehicular lanes (including rush hour lanes that are otherwise on-street parking) unless vehicular traffic is reasonably unaffected through diversion to other streets, traffic signal sequencing, or other means to reduce any bike lane impacts. Second, on any bike lanes located on the roadspace where the posted speed limit is 50 kph or faster the lane must have hardened separation (curbs, railings, etc.) and never just paint. We can title this part: paint is not infrastructure.

Last edited:
I feel like every public consultation should start with a 5-10 minute YouTube video explainer of why it is the intersections that determine throughput, not number of lanes between intersections.
TBH you can't get around things like a slow driver, stopped bus, or illegally stopping uber if you only have 1 lane.

Most rush hour restrictions only take effect for two hours a day. I don't think I've ever seen one that is only one hour. Are there lanes that restrict parking during both rush hours? I'm not a close observer of this as I don't drive at rush hour, either into or out of downtown.
Sorry, I was being a bit pedantic. The rush hour zones I'm used to cover the AM and PM rush, even on the side streets.

Also, if you have a disabled parking permit these are 1 of only 3 rules you don't get special privileges on.
There are several major streets I drive on that have no parking 24/7. Some of which were scheduled to have lanes installed.

I'm not disagreeing, but for a city with real budget issues it's easy to see why they are going with "done but not perfect" approach.

Hey maybe the province could chip in to do it the right way if they are truly interested in lowering traffic without taking lanes....

I understand how a budgetary constraint results in the "not perfect" approach, however in my opinion it would be better to go with quality over quantity.
So less bike lane installations over time but the ones that you do build are done well.

Yes, as part of the new legislation it would be nice if they offered funding to do it the right way.

...it is the intersections that determine throughput, not number of lanes between intersections.
Traffic light sequencing would help. I live near Winchester and Parliament. The 2.1 km run on Parliament from Lakeshore to my turnoff at Winchester is a red light disaster. There are ten traffic lights from top to bottom (Mill, Front, King, Adelaide, Richmond, Queen, Shuter, Dundas, Gerrard, and Carlton) and all seem designed to prevent any through traffic.

To be fair, that's a minor street that's crossing six major east/west thoroughfares. You would expect the lights to be red more often than not just because the cross streets have so much more traffic on them than Parliament.

Traffic light sequencing would help. I live near Winchester and Parliament. The 2.1 km run on Parliament from Lakeshore to my turnoff at Winchester is a red light disaster. There are ten traffic lights from top to bottom (Mill, Front, King, Adelaide, Richmond, Queen, Shuter, Dundas, Gerrard, and Carlton) and all seem designed to prevent any through traffic.
I biked from the freshco on Dundas to King st through Parliament the other day and I was hating myself for not walking that stretch. Would have been faster if I had walked.

Unfortunately, I think there is an answer to your question now.

While addressing a lunchtime crowd of more than 1,000 at the Empire Club of Toronto on Thursday, Ford not only doubled down on the province’s plan to prevent future bike lanes from being built in cities if it means taking out other traffic lanes but went one step further, saying he was going to bring “sanity back to bike lane decisions.”
“It isn’t enough to keep an eye on future bike lanes. We need to and will remove and replace existing bike lanes on primary roads that are bringing traffic in our cities to a standstill,” Ford said to applause from the business crowd.

Back