News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

College just west of Bathurst - north side - from this morning 830am-ish

IMG_20230830_084025.jpg

why is everything done in such a piecemeal fashion in this city? would it cost a billion to resurface the road at the same time?

As projects go in Toronto, this one is not piecemeal.

It included Toronto Hydro Work, Rogers/Bell work, reconstruction of the TTC Tracks, The Cycling related work, streetscape enhancements, select road resurfacing.

There may yet be some milling work to be done when the cycling stuff wraps up.

The only problem I have with separated bike lanes along roadways is that the majority of them are so damn ugly.

Yes, you have some that are very pleasant where the lanes have nice grassing and flowers & trees separating the cars from bikes but these are VERY few and far between. The vast majority are just large concrete slabs with ugly poles sticking out of them. They remind me of these high rise construction sights where the sidewalks are covered with wood planks....................functional and even safer than regular sidewalks due to the poles supporting the overhead planks but incredibly ugly and a blight on the urban landscape. These concrete bike lanes make the street look like it is terminally under construction.

I often think of the Bloor Street West lanes. Yes, they provide a much needed infrastructure and get rid of car lanes but the street itself looks far less pleasant than it did before. They act as a barrier to crossing the street and the ugly grey concrete slabs with poles make for an ugly urban realm. They are great for bikes but I find them unattractive as a pedestrian and unappealing and I tend to avoid streets with them. Maybe it's just me but I think many feel the same way.
Was the wider, flatter road asphalt really that pretty? Imho Bloor was and is uggo anyway. Bike lanes all the way, every day, on every major street.

Meanwhile, east of Bathurst the cycle track is proceeding at a snail’s pace, with hardly any changes in weeks, and almost nobody on site:
IMG_7304.jpeg

No sense of urgency as usual…

Flexible posts separating cycling lanes from car traffic provide protection for both cyclists and automobiles. Not!

Here's the story, at this link.

Screenshot-2023-09-03-at-3.57.40-PM.jpg

On Thursday (8/31) around 5:30 pm, a woman was bicycling south in the two-way bike lane on Northeast 21st Ave over I-84 when the driver of a grey Honda Civic came around the corner in the opposite direction and slammed into her. The driver crossed over the bike lane, knocked over several plastic flex-posts, and the right front bumper of their car sent the bike rider flying into the air. The victim flipped multiple times before landing on the sidewalk several feet away.

The driver — who failed to negotiate the corner where NE 20th merges into 21st — kept on driving. After hitting the bike rider, the driver swerved into the oncoming general lane and had to make an evasive move to avoid hitting another driver.

The collision was caught on camera by the rear-facing dashcam of a driver who was directly in front of the suspect. The person with the dashcam has given the footage to the Portland Police Bureau. Watch the footage below. ***Content Warning: The footage below shows a graphic collision between a bike and a car and there’s also a photo below of the victim’s injuries.
Miraculously, it appears that the bike rider is relatively OK and is recovering. She has suffered major lacerations to her face and the full extent of her injuries is unknown to us at this time. Fortunately the car was relatively small with a low front-end. Had this been a large truck or SUV with a higher grill and sharply squared front-end, the bike rider would likely be dead or paralyzed.

Did someone from the community put plants in that island? The brick walk and soil isn't even with the curb.

No, LOL, that's professionally planted and it is as it is supposed to be.

There is no brick walk.

The bricks you see are soak pits to allow for drainage, they are not thee to be walked over.

Reactions: DSC
I don't think this post merits its own thread and thought this was best fit for here...

Anyone cycling along the waterfront trail in West Pickering may (eventually) come across some improvements they are making in the west spit of Frenchmans Bay (just east of the trail section that turns north to navigate the bay). I've snapped a few photos of the progress (taken walking from east to west):
Screenshot_20230904_162734.jpg

IMG_20230903_135900.jpg

IMG_20230903_135929.jpg

IMG_20230903_140339.jpg
IMG_20230903_140550.jpg
IMG_20230903_140555.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_140154.jpg
    IMG_20230903_140154.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230903_140340.jpg
    IMG_20230903_140340.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20230904_162734.jpg
    Screenshot_20230904_162734.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 21
One rings a bike bell as a courtesy to avoid startling others. It lets them know that a bike is approaching quickly from behind. Not everyone has great hearing or awareness, and it is difficult to predict if someone will suddenly move into the path of travel. Ringing the bell is a courteous way to let others know that a bike is coming. I find it particularly useful for people with dogs, kids, and seniors.

A bell shouldn't upset you...
Absolutely. I always ring my bell as a courtesy and pedestrians sometimes thank me as I pass.

As seen yesterday beside the multi use trail in The Beach.

IMG_6180.jpeg

Reactions: DSC
No, LOL, that's professionally planted and it is as it is supposed to be.

There is no brick walk.

The bricks you see are soak pits to allow for drainage, they are not thee to be walked over.
Wow, thanks for that. I have never seen a curb used in that way so it looks completely off to me. Curb cuts that aren't for people or vehicles. A high curb and not a low curb. Seems bizarre. Why not have a low curb except for the points?

Wow, thanks for that.

You're welcome.

I have never seen a curb used in that way so it looks completely off to me. Curb cuts that aren't for people or vehicles. A high curb and not a low curb. Seems bizarre. Why not have a low curb except for the points?

This is Toronto's Green Infrastructure Page; I'd have to consult staff to be sure, but I believe the work on Dundas here would be defined as 'Green Gutter':

1693903974395.png

I'd only be 'guessing' at the precise details of the design choices, but I would imagine, that you have 4 inflow points.

My presumption, aside from what I can see in the picture, comes from what i don't see, ( a drain/sewer grate) in the bike lane).

I would imagine there are 2 inflow points to drain the vehicle lanes and 2 to drain the bike lane.'

The inflow points would likely be based on how much water each opening is designed to handle, and also equitable distribution of that water throughout the planting zone). But that's just a guess on my part.

The direction of water flow will also come into it. In that photo, you're looking uphill towards Greenwood; The centreline of Dundas is also a high point, with water draining away towards the curbs.

Since when is the avoidance of rain puddles for cycling infrastructure "off topic"? Cycling infrastructure is best to reduce rain puddles and sewer grates as much as possible, to make cycling bearable. The showing of images to illustrate that point is needed. Unless you're still on a dial-up internet or low bandwidths.
No, your continuing repetitive posts pointing out obvious facts (e.g. splashing pedestrians and cyclists is bad) are spam - like @NorthernLight and, I suspect, others I enjoy many of your posts but I too will add you to my VERY short 'ignore' list if you keep this up. You have done it for years but it seems it is now almost daily.

Back